Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jan 19, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Best park for rides on west coast?

Opinions please

DS15 does all the big rides, I do most, DH does a few but is happy to people watch.

What to build a new park into our roadtrip (Vegas, Yosemite, SF and LA)

And ideas?
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Apprentice Imagineer

Magic Mountain for me - well, I'm not up to date, so don't know if times have changed, but pre-1990 MM was my dream location to go on the coasters they had. I got there in 1990 and again around 2008 maybe. As a teen my mom arranged for them to send me photos of the park and I loved their wooden roller coaster Colossus (sadly no longer there). The park featured in the 1970s movie Rollercoaster which just made me a bigger fan (albeit a very old one ;-) )

It was brilliant - absolutely no lines at all, in fact we did so many rides we were started to feel a bit queasy by mid-afternoon!

It's now Six Flags Magic Mountain but I don't know how well it's kept up with the likes of Universal and Knotts Berry Farm. It's about an hour outside of Los Angeles but I loved it.

sixflags/magicmountain

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:53 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Big rides you want Six flags , Disney doesn’t really have many big rides , universal isn’t bad but not as big as the Orlando parks .

Nothing in Vegas really bar the roller coaster at NYNY and the 3 rides on top of the stratosphere.
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Six Flags Magic Mountain north of LA for the bigger coasters. There is also Six Flags Discovery Kingdom north of San Francisco but not personally done that one.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Six flags magic mountain is as big as I have ever ridden. Think Thorpe park with sunshine.

Disney do not do big rides. I researched Universal, but there was nothing big enough to make me want a ticket.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I have been to Magic mountain a couple of times and will be going again later in the year. While Disney, universal and Knott’s are nicer overall theme parks, Sixflags is the place for big coasters, they have the most in the world with 20! 4 are kids coasters with 16 thrill coasters.

The best ones are:

X2 (an insane ride!)
twisted collosus ( my personal fave in the park)
Tatsu - flying coaster like manga at seaworld
Superman: very short but hit 100mpg going backwards then up a 400ft vertical spike! (Twice the height of the big one on blackpool).
Goliath- huge 200ft+ high mega coaster
Full throttle: launched coaster with one of the worlds biggest loops.
m2k00 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Magic Mountain for me too, been twice and it is huge.
We went during Fright Fest a couple of years ago and was in the park til way past dark, and still didnt get to ride all the big coasters
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
Magic Mountain for me too, been twice and it is huge.
We went during Fright Fest a couple of years ago and was in the park til way past dark, and still didnt get to ride all the big coasters
We were there at Easter during school holidays. We went in the park as it opened and within 3 hours had done all of the major coasters once. That was without any fastpass/express pass or whatever it is called.
A great day out!

Post ride pride!

Even Mandie got involved!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:51 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Definitely Six Flags Magic Mountain.
We're doing the SF to San Diego road trip in October but plan to visit Six Flags Discovery Kingdom before we hit the PCH and then Six Flags Magic Mountain on the way down for a 3rd time.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
BallisticJack
Earning More Ears

Not wanting to hijack the thread but OP might also be interested... does anyone have any views on whether the Flash Passes (aka Express Pass/FastPass+) are worth it? They do three flavours - Regular, Gold & Platinum. All are pretty expensive.
BallisticJack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List