Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 19, 01:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

I book mine first before asking for annual leave. If I see a good deal on internet for hols I don't want to wait until the next day as my luck would have the hol cost go up. I've done it before thinking I had better wait only to find it's gone up to silly money again the day I ask.
I now TELL the boss I'm having these days off.end of.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
Does anyone else book their holidays then 'ask' for annual leave? Luckily I have a good boss and book far enough in advance I know nobody else in my team is off at the same time
My DH usually has to, he cannot book holidays until January. Most of our holidays are booked at least 6 months before we go and in the case of Florida holidays we book 18 months in advance. But, he and his workmates always tell each other when they want holidays and make sure they don’t overlap so when they put their dates in they are usually approved. It’s always a bit stressful though until approved

Edited at 02:01 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 02:25 AM  
Link to this Post
wikkle jan
Imagineer

wikkle jan's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Im lucky as i have a great boss who lets me have time off when i want it... Oops forgot to say im self employed
wikkle jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Its getting really difficult to get the holidays you want on our department in work so I always book mine well in advance.
We are going to Orlando for 3 weeks in September and I booked the month off last April.
I also put a request in yesterday for March 2020
Old 13 Jan 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Holdensccs
slightly serious Dibber

I feel so lucky.
My holidays are rostered on a 10 week repeating rotation, basically each 10 weeks ends with a block of 18 non working days, so I can quickly work out when I will be off any date in the future.
(yes I get 18 days off 5x a year )
This also enables my wife to request leave from her boss well in advance, we can then just wait (hope) for flights and holidays at the right price.
DW always has a spreadsheet running which highlights blocks of available dates and now that the kids are well past school age we have a lot of flexibility
I can also exchange leave with other shifts if we need a longer break.
Just wish we had the cash spare for 5 holidays a year to go with it
Holdensccs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

DH is non-customer facing civil servant and can book holidays as and when he wants - could go for 2 weeks tomorrow if he wanted! Or could book a month in 6 years time... etc...

I work in retail. 3 of us time-share the same duties so only one can be away at any time, if you find someone to cover your shifts, and no one else is away, you can book any dates you want so long as not in December.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
I've been very lucky as I book holidays for the following year before we can request leave, always managed to be allocated my priority weeks. I work with fabulous colleagues though and we sometimes cover for each other then repay that shift back at a later date.

DH works in a team of 1 - so no problem for allocating his own annual leave. It does have to be formally approved by his manager though

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
I am fortunate in that I work remotely from the main team so no one covers me when I am on holiday and I can take any leave I want.😀
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Holdensccs View Post
I feel so lucky.
My holidays are rostered on a 10 week repeating rotation, basically each 10 weeks ends with a block of 18 non working days, so I can quickly work out when I will be off any date in the future.
(yes I get 18 days off 5x a year )
This also enables my wife to request leave from her boss well in advance, we can then just wait (hope) for flights and holidays at the right price.
DW always has a spreadsheet running which highlights blocks of available dates and now that the kids are well past school age we have a lot of flexibility
I can also exchange leave with other shifts if we need a longer break.
Just wish we had the cash spare for 5 holidays a year to go with it
Wow this sounds pretty great.
Please can I have a job at your place?
😊😊

We get 28 days a year but 8 are bank Holidays of course and we have to save 3 for over Christmas.
So we have 17 all year. 42 hour weeks.
Not good 😒😒😒