Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Jan 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Currently only 50 people booked on plane leaving in 10 days, what's the chance I get an empty plane?

50 people booked on economy outgoing, 75 booked homebound. Now that virgin don't charge to book over 300 people can't all be waiting until check in to get their seats, so am I going to get a row of 4 to myself to stretch out and sleep? On a previous trip the plane was half empty and I got a good sleep going to Orlando but from the look at the seat map this is going to be a ghost town.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jclutton View Post
50 people booked on economy outgoing, 75 booked homebound. Now that virgin don't charge to book over 300 people can't all be waiting until check in to get their seats, so am I going to get a row of 4 to myself to stretch out and sleep? On a previous trip the plane was half empty and I got a good sleep going to Orlando but from the look at the seat map this is going to be a ghost town.
If they are, which I doubt as most travel agents book blocks of seats & they wont show up as people traveling yet, and its really is almost empty then they may well pull the plane and put you on different flights if its as empty in PE or Upper. I hope it is empty for you as its lovely when it is. Only 3 of us upstairs when I last flew to New York, economy was full but no one was upgraded!
Old 17 Jan 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

We flew with virgin man-mco when the fight was pretty much empty. This was back in 2006. There was one person is upper and about 60-70 of us spread out over economy. We each had about two rows.
Coming back they cancelled our flight and put us on the later flight.
This was busier but still got a spare seat next to us.

You can’t tell if a flight is full by looking at seat booking, some people just aren’t bothered even if it’s free to book.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

I've done a British airways flight to Toronto in 2000 and there were only about 80 on a 747, and we were 30 of those. Once taken off we stretched out a row each!
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
flashh
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Just because seats are not booked doesn’t mean flights haven’t been sold , they could be block booked by travel agent for example. Although an empty flight would be nice
flashh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
We flew with virgin man-mco when the fight was pretty much empty. This was back in 2006. There was one person is upper and about 60-70 of us spread out over economy. We each had about two rows.
Coming back they cancelled our flight and put us on the later flight.
This was busier but still got a spare seat next to us.

You can’t tell if a flight is full by looking at seat booking, some people just aren’t bothered even if it’s free to book.
With all the kerfuffle when Virgin started charging for seats I'm surprised people are not booking for free. I cannot remember a seat map so empty on all our trips, even the one where we basically had a whole section to ourselves after takeoff, they asked us to remain in our allocated seats for take off and landing to distribute the weight evenly but allowed us to move once in the air.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 02:02 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

plus there's high risk of another flight being cancelled and merged onto yours depending on the aircraft positioning.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

They already cancelled our Monday flight to move us onto this one, they couldn't do it again, could they?
Old 20 Jan 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jclutton View Post
They already cancelled our Monday flight to move us onto this one, they couldn't do it again, could they?
I
It's all a numbers game / profit .
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

It also depends on how many passengers are on the return flight. They will fly it out almost empty if they have to return with a full flight.

A seat map gives no indication to how full a flight will be.