Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Feb 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
JimmyCricket
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ve used Navmii for the past 2 trips never let us down as long as you load your places when on WiFi. Have driven all over Florida without using data
JimmyCricket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I have Navmii too, also had no problems with it, have just downloaded the latest maps and POIs in preparation for my trip later in the year

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

Another vote for navmii. I was going to buy one of the garmins with free lifetime map updates when I was over there a few years back and used navmii until I could get to bestbuy. In the end I was so impressed with navmii I didn’t bother with the garmin. Do all your searches while on wi-fi. You can even save searches here before you go and then everything will be ready. It works off your phones gps so you can turn off data. With data turned on I think it shows you traffic congestion.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BuzzStarkiller
Trainee Dibber

Navmii sounds like a good option, downloading now.
Also, I assume cigarette lighter terminals are the same over there as they are here? Thinking of taking my sat nav as back up.
1987: Sheraton Yankee Trader, Fort Lauderdale/Orlando Vacation. 1989: Days Inn, Altamote Springs. 1991: Quality Inn, Int Drive. 1993: Travelodge, Kissimmee. 1998: Howard Johnson, Maingate West. 2005: Disney Palms Villa, Glenbrook Estate. 2007: Belle Palms Villa, Tuscan Hills. 2011: Disney Palms Villa, Glenbrook. 2014: Brock House, Highgate Park 2019 April Here we go again!
BuzzStarkiller is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
abzorba
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
We use TomTom Go, there is a monthly subscription of £4.99 that you can stop and start as you wish. Maps can be downloaded over WiFi and then the app uses no data at all (unless you want traffic updates) so technically you could run it with mobile data turned off.

Another option is to use a wireless hotspot with a pre paid data sim, then you can use the likes of google maps.
I think we'll give this a go, the Speed Cam alerts will be handy.

WDW 1994, 2005, 2015, 2019, 2025 | DLP 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022
abzorba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
k1971
Excited about Disney

I use Here We Go. It allows you to store addresses or points of interest (such as villa, restaurants etc) in collections. It's also got a web page that you can log into with the same email address as on your phone - so you can use that for storing all your favourites too.
I use it both in the UK and in Florida. Once the map is downloaded (the Florida map needs to be downloaded separately) It runs without data. but if you have data you can get live traffic delay information
wego.here
k1971 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I use Google Maps but I'm thinking of using Waze. Would I be able to use Waze on Android Auto and if so how do I do it?
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
R3D4
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
I use Google Maps but I'm thinking of using Waze. Would I be able to use Waze on Android Auto and if so how do I do it?
I can use either Waze or Google maps on Andriod Auto in my car here, so I assume that it will be the same when using it in the US. There are 5 "tabs" on the bottom of the screen, far left is the maps, then phone then the main screen, then media/spotify then the exist tab.

If I select the maps tab it pops up a box whereby I can select either Waze or Google Maps.

On another note on Waze, has anyone been able to add locations in Orlando to their favourites while here in the UK? I wanted to have all this set up before we go, but it doesn't let me and when i scroll the map across to the US there are no maps shown.
R3D4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by R3D4 View Post
I can use either Waze or Google maps on Andriod Auto in my car here, so I assume that it will be the same when using it in the US. There are 5 "tabs" on the bottom of the screen, far left is the maps, then phone then the main screen, then media/spotify then the exist tab.

If I select the maps tab it pops up a box whereby I can select either Waze or Google Maps.

On another note on Waze, has anyone been able to add locations in Orlando to their favourites while here in the UK? I wanted to have all this set up before we go, but it doesn't let me and when i scroll the map across to the US there are no maps shown.
Just home last Sunday, Waze worked really well in the NIssans I had, using Android Auto as above. Waze won't do directions beyond 3000 miles ? but they are working on it. Also you passenger cant access the keyboard when you're driving. But you can use voice to search locations
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
R3D4
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by stevo25 View Post
Just home last Sunday, Waze worked really well in the NIssans I had, using Android Auto as above. Waze won't do directions beyond 3000 miles ? but they are working on it. Also you passenger cant access the keyboard when you're driving. But you can use voice to search locations
OK, cheers. May just use Google maps initially as I have the hotel already set as a favourite and when I'm there I can add additional favourites to Waze.

It's easy to flip between the two on Android Auto.
R3D4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List