Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 13 Mar 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
thingy003
Excited about Disney

Strollers for older children

My 2 girls will be 7.5 and 5.5 when we go in October and I need to work out what is the best option as from previpous experience they will not cope with all the walking.

Looking at some of the online stroller rental companies they are going to be too heavy for the options offered. Similarly looking at Walmart for a cheap double stroller makes me think that I would be as well just burning my money as it is highly unlikely that the stroller would last for the duration of the holiday.

The ones that Disney rents directly seem to be incredibly durable but they look a bit uncomfortable and could work out quite expensive for the duration of the holiday.

What have people done on their trips?
thingy003 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

I am taking a push chair for my 5 yo it works out a lot cheaper. Unless your 7 yo is very small I'm not sure what type of pushchair would fit her.
My DD who was 7 managed well walking last time she went we would take breaks to sit down if the kids got tired.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

We are going in May and will have a just 6 year old and 2 year old (3 while out there)

I’ve just got a city mini double off eBay, practically brand new £150. Cheaper than hiring.
We hired a baby jogger city mini gt last year and it was brilliant.
We weren’t meant to be going this year otherwise I probably would of brought it last year and saved the rental cost. Also didn’t think DS would want/need a pushchair. He does lots of walking here but the heat does affect them. It’s far easier to push than carry a child and I’m anything for an easy life!

The gt has a slightly bigger seat but our very tall (134cm!) 5 year fits fine in the city mini and it’s still very easy to push with both of them in.

Edited at 06:02 PM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We took a four year old last year, I also took my own son when he was four. In both cases we simply adjusted our pace to one they were comfortable with (not dead slow but taking breaks when needed and making sure they stayed hydrated) and a buggy wasn't needed. For kids without any mobility issues it really shouldn't be needed unless you are in commando touring mode .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
We took a four year old last year, I also took my own son when he was four. In both cases we simply adjusted our pace to one they were comfortable with (not dead slow but taking breaks when needed and making sure they stayed hydrated) and a buggy wasn't needed. For kids without any mobility issues it really shouldn't be needed unless you are in commando touring mode .
This is what we are planning... we will be taking a compact stroller for our 17 month old but nothing for our almost 4 year old. She walked a heck of a lot on our last trip at 18 months old (her choice!) so we figured she’ll be ok and she can always take a break in her sisters stroller if needed.
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy123
Proud to wear my Ears

My Daughter was still using her Maclaren XT at 8! And she is big for her age - taller than many friends who are more than a year older than her. She was definitely over the weight limit for it, but it coped fine, even added 12 water bottles to the bottom without any issues. I fully realise she was old for a pushchair but it made life so much easier without the moaning! My 11 year old (who's 5ft 2!) even snuck in it a couple of times!

I never felt we were being judged or looked at strangely for having such an old child in a pushchair. The airlines were fine taking it, no questions asked at all. The UK taxi driver did ask who it was for (my then 8 year old was pushing it at the time as it's the easiest way to transport it at the airport), and gave us a very strange look.

So I'm a big fan of taking a pushchair for an easier life.

Edited at 08:37 PM.
Fairy123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DebbyDoo
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We’re planning on getting a stroller for our 6 year old when we go in August. Honestly she can’t walk the length of herself when we’re at home so I’m dreading WDW in August!

We’ve looked at hiring one but we think so far that our best option is to go to Walmart a pick up a cheap one for the trip. (Have looked at ones for around $60 which look like they would do.)

My advice if your not sure play it by ear leave it for a day or two and see how they get on and then take it from there if they need one you could hire one or buy one?!

Fairy123 so glad to hear you didn’t have issues with your 8 year old using a stroller makes me feel better about using one!
Off site 1995 (age 9), ASS 1997, OKW 1999 VB, OKW 2000, OKW BW 2001, OKW DCL WL 2002, OKW 2003, DLP 2004 & OKW 2004, OKW, SS Portofino Bay 2005, OKW, SS Hard Rock Hotel AKL June 2006,OKW & BLT 2009, SSR Nov 2010, POR OKW 2012

DebbyDoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsTitch
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I have a heavier 5 year old when we went and needed a pram... after some research we bought the Joovy zoom 360. Ordered on Walmart and did click and collect and picked up after we landing. It has a high weight limit and was cheaper than hiring for the 2 weeks- we even brought it home as we loved it
MrsTitch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
thingy003
Excited about Disney

Thank you all for your replies.

I think we are going to buy one from Walmart / Amazon and have it delivered to the hotel. My youngest can be a right pain when she decides that she can't walk any further and I have mobility issues si carrying her could make things very difficult.

In the meantime I am taking them walking every weekend until October to build up their leg muscles
thingy003 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by thingy003 View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

I think we are going to buy one from Walmart / Amazon and have it delivered to the hotel. My youngest can be a right pain when she decides that she can't walk any further and I have mobility issues si carrying her could make things very difficult.

In the meantime I am taking them walking every weekend until October to build up their leg muscles
Good plan, you know your children and what is best for them. Last year we did between 8-10 miles a day and that wasn’t commando style touring. Our son is very active but that distance combined with the heat takes it out of them.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List