Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 19, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by TinselAngel View Post
I’m currently giving Dr Michael Mosley’s new 5:2 a go . 800 calories on 2 days, unrestricted calories but generally ‘Mediterranean style’ the rest of the week. I got the book off Amazon for £4 so not a big investment. Ive watched loads of his video clips on You Tube and he talks a lot of sense - backed up with extensive real scientific research - I will never go low fat again.
I have been ill so have been eating what I fancy (within reason) but today I am back to 16:8, I did do 5:2 but find this easier as you sleep for a lot of your fasting time. Since I started eating low carb and high fat my cholesterol has dropped to 3.2 so I am with you!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
I'm currently finding intermittent fasting along with recipes from Pinch of Nom or Two Chubby Cubs to be very successful.

I eat from 12pm to 8pm and feel loads better for it. Weight is falling off and my stomach issues seem to have cleared up. I do it 5 days a week, I took a couple of weeks off and really noticed how bad I felt.
That sounds interesting! Do you have milk in tea etc on a morning? Thanks
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Adcro
Serious Dibber

I have hypothyroidism too, but I'm another Dibber who is also on Slimming World. I really recommend it. I've lost over 5 stone.
Adcro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d recommend MyFitnessPal too.

I weigh and log all
my food/drink each day. It took a bit of getting used to, it’s like second nature now.

Two other things that have helped me on my weight loss journey are, changing my mindset from dieting to a lifestyle change and downloading the Couch to 5K app. I’ve gone from feeling like I was going to collapse after a 60 second run, to really enjoying running.

Up to now I’ve lost 6st 5lb.

Good luck to you X
Old 23 Apr 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

I do intermittent fasting and so does my partner. We have lost any excess weight between us. Okay, we only had a bit to lose before hols but it's those last llbs that are REALLY stubborn! I would recommend Michael Moseley's book. I now usually either eat from 8am-4pm watching portion sizes (that used to be my problem) or from about 12pm-6pm. I never eat late evening, if I do it's just some fruit. I would always gorge on stodgy like cereal etc but it would make me feel terrible. I have been living off lean chicken, salmon, veggies, bit of brown rice and so much broccoli you wouldn't believe. And I always get the same comments. "Oh you must have chronic wind!" Err, no - it's sugar that caused the bloating and wind with me. Since scrapping it I've felt like a new woman.

Old 23 Apr 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I'm currently losing weight (down about 25 lbs so far, another 15 or so to go), and still slightly shocked that I'm actually losing weight. Mainly through the concept of calories in vs calories out, or eat less and move more.

I've found browsing the weight loss subreddits on Reddit really helpful for motivation/discipline/ideas/etc. There are a couple of subreddits that are dedicated to eating within 1200 calories/day or 1500 calories/day where people post photos of their meals and snacks with calorie counts, which I've been finding quite helpful with ideas for more filling meals and snacks.

Other things I've found useful are:
- Getting a wifi scale and weighing myself a few times a day. Not focusing on the weight (since it varies so much within the course of the day) but more on the weight trend. Since it's wifi all my weights are logged into an app and I get lots of data points which is good for helping me tell if I'm heading in the right direction or if I need to eat less move more than what I'm doing.
- Walking and running a lot. Pokemon Go is helping by making me walk even further than I normally would...
- Substituting with healthier snacks and meals. Like apples instead of crisps. Or going to Subway and getting a soup instead of cookies as the side.
- Portion control. Ordering small fries at McDonald's instead of the large. Having tiny pieces of chocolate instead of a whole bar at a time - and this also justifies my buying very good (and incredibly expensive) chocolate, since if I'm only going to have a tiny bit at a time I might as well have good chocolate! Making a bag of crisps last for a week instead of two days.

I've heard logging all your food is good to do too, just that this isn't something I'm currently doing.

Good luck with the weight loss!
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I have been ill so have been eating what I fancy (within reason) but today I am back to 16:8, I did do 5:2 but find this easier as you sleep for a lot of your fasting time. Since I started eating low carb and high fat my cholesterol has dropped to 3.2 so I am with you!
I’m trying to combine mine with 12:12 as well so I go a long time between evening meal and breakfast. Not difficult this week as I’m on leave from work but could be trickier once I’m back in the office next week. I’m finding the low carb high fat much easier than I expected (rice addict!) and I’ve done several 800 cal days so far. It seems to be working as I already feel lighter. I haven’t weighed myself for a few days but I can tell I’m losing. Sounds like the LCHF approach suits you too. Can’t help feeling frustrated that I’ve wasted a lot of time (and money) on diet clubs that haven’t been practical to stick with in the past.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I'm currently losing weight (down about 25 lbs so far, another 15 or so to go), and still slightly shocked that I'm actually losing weight. Mainly through the concept of calories in vs calories out, or eat less and move more.

I've found browsing the weight loss subreddits on Reddit really helpful for motivation/discipline/ideas/etc. There are a couple of subreddits that are dedicated to eating within 1200 calories/day or 1500 calories/day where people post photos of their meals and snacks with calorie counts, which I've been finding quite helpful with ideas for more filling meals and snacks.

Other things I've found useful are:
- Getting a wifi scale and weighing myself a few times a day. Not focusing on the weight (since it varies so much within the course of the day) but more on the weight trend. Since it's wifi all my weights are logged into an app and I get lots of data points which is good for helping me tell if I'm heading in the right direction or if I need to eat less move more than what I'm doing.
- Walking and running a lot. Pokemon Go is helping by making me walk even further than I normally would...
- Substituting with healthier snacks and meals. Like apples instead of crisps. Or going to Subway and getting a soup instead of cookies as the side.
- Portion control. Ordering small fries at McDonald's instead of the large. Having tiny pieces of chocolate instead of a whole bar at a time - and this also justifies my buying very good (and incredibly expensive) chocolate, since if I'm only going to have a tiny bit at a time I might as well have good chocolate! Making a bag of crisps last for a week instead of two days.

I've heard logging all your food is good to do too, just that this isn't something I'm currently doing.

Good luck with the weight loss!
Agree with the logging of food - makes you more aware of what you’re eating and less inclined to have naughty treats, but it can be tedious- it’s up to you. I’m also a Pokemon Go player and that game is great for getting you out and about - have hatched loads on my walking session this morning).

Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I do intermittent fasting and so does my partner. We have lost any excess weight between us. Okay, we only had a bit to lose before hols but it's those last llbs that are REALLY stubborn! I would recommend Michael Moseley's book. I now usually either eat from 8am-4pm watching portion sizes (that used to be my problem) or from about 12pm-6pm. I never eat late evening, if I do it's just some fruit. I would always gorge on stodgy like cereal etc but it would make me feel terrible. I have been living off lean chicken, salmon, veggies, bit of brown rice and so much broccoli you wouldn't believe. And I always get the same comments. "Oh you must have chronic wind!" Err, no - it's sugar that caused the bloating and wind with me. Since scrapping it I've felt like a new woman.

So true - have hardly eaten any sugar in the last week and I feel great. Loads of veggies, eggs, fresh meat and so on. Not feeling hungry all the time either. Michael Mosley is a very wise man imho at the mo.

Old 24 Apr 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
hols2florida
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone. Will have a look at some of these suggestions. I have used mfp before but have downloaded it again to try.
hols2florida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List