Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Just found out that you can download app, rather than podcasts. The MAIN thing I can now do is listen to my own music and still hear Laura when she talks.

Really pleased as the stock music on the C25K is ok, but not like playing your own music.

One more week 3 run and knees still seem ok.
Did you need to repeat any runs after the break?

I’m on week 7 but not run for a week now due to possible shin splints.

I’m hoping to start again this week but haven’t taken a break before so don’t know if I should go back a little.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Did you need to repeat any runs after the break?

I’m on week 7 but not run for a week now due to possible shin splints.

I’m hoping to start again this week but haven’t taken a break before so don’t know if I should go back a little.
I felt that I was comfortable moving onto the next week after my break, as I felt it wasn't too big an advance going from week 2 to 3.

I'm guessing that a higher week e.g 6 to 7 might be more difficult to advance to after a break... but I don't really know, sorry.

One thing's for sure. I'm trying to take it easy, e.g. keeping pace low and movements as low impacting as possible.

My music did wonders tonight on making the 'run' more bearable.

Hope whatever you choose it goes well for you.

Edited at 07:00 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Hi everyone, I hope I can join this thread. I have just started Couch to 5K on Wednesday and I have done my 2nd run this morning. A couple of questions,
1) After Wednesday my legs were painful, then did a day working at the zoo yesterday and my legs were in so much pain it kept waking me up last night. Is this normal? 😬
I did my 2nd run today because if I miss a run then I won’t go back to it. 🙈 Do I need to warm up/cool down better?
2) Also how do I prevent myself from getting a stitch. I had one about 3/4 through the first one, but powered through and today I had one just after the brisk walk! 😳

I also want to get myself some new running trainers, but I really cannot afford high prices. Any ideas where I can get a pair from (£50 max).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Well done.

I've just completed Wk2. My knees ache a lot so take NSAIDs and sit with a hot wheat bag on them. I'm hoping this will improve as my weight reduces.

I don't eat before I run. 0600 or 0630 early runs. If you get a stitch bend over and touch your toes a few times.

I got my trainers from sweatshop. Had foot analysis for free. Love my cushioned trainers. But not cheap at £85. With discount and in sale. I honestly believe what you pay for with trainers. The more support and cushioning will help joints.

Edited at 01:57 PM.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

I went for my first run yesterday since the Edinburgh half marathon on 26th May. I felt terrible for the first 3km but by the time I stopped at 5km I felt really good. When I was thinking about it, I actually always find that first 3-4km really though, then everything warms up and it gets easier.

So if you’ve taken a bit of time off, don’t sweat it. If you want to die in those first 20/25 mins, that’s okay, just keep on going.
Old 21 Jun 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Hi everyone, I hope I can join this thread. I have just started Couch to 5K on Wednesday and I have done my 2nd run this morning. A couple of questions,
1) After Wednesday my legs were painful, then did a day working at the zoo yesterday and my legs were in so much pain it kept waking me up last night. Is this normal? 😬
I did my 2nd run today because if I miss a run then I won’t go back to it. 🙈 Do I need to warm up/cool down better?
2) Also how do I prevent myself from getting a stitch. I had one about 3/4 through the first one, but powered through and today I had one just after the brisk walk! 😳

I also want to get myself some new running trainers, but I really cannot afford high prices. Any ideas where I can get a pair from (£50 max).
If your legs are painful then that suggests to me a lack of warming up, cooling down or both. I can usually feel that I’ve run, if I’ve done a long or tough one it’s uncomfortable, but if there’s pain then something needs to change. Ibuprofen gel is quite good. You need to be cautious using it if you’re going to run, as you don’t want to mask pain, but if it’s to help you move a bit easier after it’s great.

I find a lot of people who run, especially when they get tired, let their posture slide and that can cause stitches as you’re not breathing efficiently. I try and make a conscious effort to pull my shoulders back and stick my boobs out haha. I also find bananas give me a terrible stitch, I can’t eat them before a run, not even a few hours before. There might be something which is setting yours off.

Re. running trainers, you have to be careful, as the wrong shoes have the potential to cause you injury or discomfort, both of which will put you off running if nothing else. I always get mine from Up & Running, and I have the gait analysis every time before I buy as things do change. My latest pair were £109 and before that £105. They do price match though so if you find cheaper online they’ll honour that. My new ones should have been £140, but they price matched an online site.
Old 21 Jun 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post

I've just completed week 7 and have really enjoying and surprised myself at being able to run! However, after the first run in week 1 my hips were so sore they kept me awake that night. I had to take ibuprofen the next day. After that though, I was fine. Regarding a stitch, they do give a hint at some stage during the weeks about making sure have are well hydrated. I take a large glass of water before I go running and thankfully I haven't had a stitch yet. I bought my running trainers in a Nike outlet store in the clearance section - I think they were only £29 but had been nearly £100! It might have been something to do with the fact that they are bright orange - you'll certainly not miss me out running . You could try Sports Direct or TK Max - they sometimes have good deals. Hope you stick with it and enjoy it.
Old 21 Jun 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Well done all. Finished week 3. So far so good.
Old 21 Jun 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

I'd just like to recommend a headband I find fab. Keeps my had out of my face and also the sweat😶. They're call hygge and seem to always be on offer of but 1 get 3 free. Lovely designs and really stay put, unlike buffs I find. I can still wear my over head headphones too.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
If your legs are painful then that suggests to me a lack of warming up, cooling down or both. I can usually feel that I’ve run, if I’ve done a long or tough one it’s uncomfortable, but if there’s pain then something needs to change. Ibuprofen gel is quite good. You need to be cautious using it if you’re going to run, as you don’t want to mask pain, but if it’s to help you move a bit easier after it’s great.

I find a lot of people who run, especially when they get tired, let their posture slide and that can cause stitches as you’re not breathing efficiently. I try and make a conscious effort to pull my shoulders back and stick my boobs out haha. I also find bananas give me a terrible stitch, I can’t eat them before a run, not even a few hours before. There might be something which is setting yours off.

Re. running trainers, you have to be careful, as the wrong shoes have the potential to cause you injury or discomfort, both of which will put you off running if nothing else. I always get mine from Up & Running, and I have the gait analysis every time before I buy as things do change. My latest pair were £109 and before that £105. They do price match though so if you find cheaper online they’ll honour that. My new ones should have been £140, but they price matched an online site.
Thanks for replying. I am terrible at warm ups and cool downs and my next run won’t be until Monday so I will maybe watch a couple of YouTube videos over the weekend to see if there are any good ones.
As for the stitches I had two crumpits, two hours before so I thought I was ok. I’ll try porridge next time and more fluids.
The trainers, well I’m not sure of any running shops nearby. I’ll have to research.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List