Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 23 Aug 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Return of the Rescuer – Day 11 – 13.7.19 Studios, snacks and soccer.

Return of the Rescuer – Day 11 – 13.7.19 Studios, snacks and soccer.

Index is here

We were a little unlucky with the bus this morning, I’m assuming we just missed one and ended up waiting 22 minutes for the bus. Again, the bus tracker for HS wasn’t working. On the plus side it only took just over 10 minutes to get there. Bag check and entry were way less busy than our first trip here.

This was meant to be an Epcot day when we started planning but when it came to booking faspasses this was the first day that suited us that we could get Tower of Terror early in the day.
By 8.37am we were in the line for rope drop.

There was a cast member wandering up and down shouting at people who were trying to push in or were straying over the white line. She eventually sent security to walk up and down the side. A few minutes before rope drop they disappeared though and loads of people just sneaked up the side.

We were not heading for Slinky so were not really in a major hurry. Walked straight on to Toy Story Mania and improved my score. We were then on Alien Swirling Saucers by 9.12am, we walked on, they didn’t even have the standby line open and sent us down the fastpass line. I’d never wait any great length of time for this but it is really really cute.

Again, in our usual touring style it was time for a snack so we headed for Woody’s Lunch Box. Lemon and Blueberry pop tart

Chocolate, hazelnut and candied bacon pop tart

I thought both of these were ok but they did a fruity one at Christmas which was way better.

Mystic portal punch - Powerade Mountain Berry Blast with flavors of lemon-lime and tangerine

We left Toy Story at 9.30 stopping for a photopass and the crowds were still streaming in.

Walking up for our next fastpass we bumped into some friends from home and arranged to grab a snack with them in a bit. Next up for us was a fastpass for Rock n Roller coaster. Followed by the thing I had really been looking forward to, a fastpass for Tower of Terror.

Ds rode this years ago in DLP but then decided he hated it, each time we have been back to Florida I tried to persuade him to ride it with me, many a time he’s made it into the line and backed out at the last minute, once he changed his mind and ended up going on with Dh after I had ridden it. But it’s been about 7 years since we have all ridden it together. I was hoping that today would be the day. Ds was in good form and was happy to give it a go. We all managed on together, I’m not sure he liked, I think it freaked him out a bit, he said he just didn’t think it was any good. After a conversation though he said he would give it one more chance later in the holiday now he knew what to expect.

Obviously we were feeling hungry again as it had been at least an hour since we had had a snack
We went for the same as we had had last time a Mango and dragonfruit refresher

And a carrot cake cookie.

Both were delicious again.

Last fastpass of the day was Slinky Dog. This ride is so much fun, I’m not sure though that I’d wait in the lengths of lines that this ride attracts.

We met up with our friends from home for a chat and some snacks. The kids had fun with some of the photopass pictures.

We had a few cookie num nums and a few key lime pies to share.
The Cookie Num Num was delicious again.

Key lime pie on a stick, we were not particular fans of this.

We had an adr at Epcot for lunch which was a wee bit of shame so we couldn’t stay for too long. We headed for the boat to the Yacht Club and walked up to Epcot and in through the International Gateway.
On the walk round to China we saw a photopass photographer on the bridge in Italy and got these really cute pictures.

We had lunch booked at Nine Dragons. We loved our food here at Christmas and were eager to try it again. It’s not particularly pricey for Disney.
Dh had a beer and ds and I had Diet Coke.

We had the most amazing table for people watching.

We ordered the canton pepper beef and the honey sesame chicken. Both were lovely but I think the beef was the best. Perfect portion size between the 3 of us.

We were lucky with our fastpasses again and snagged Test Track for our 4th Fastpass. I tried for Soarin after that on the way to Club Cool, we will really miss this when it goes.

I managed to get one for much later and managed to keep modifying it until I got a fastpass for 5 minutes time. Certainly, worth a little effort. I’m not sure Dh was that excited by my success as he was itching to head back to get ready for the football.
On the way out of Epcot, Pluto had a meet and greet, it’s not the easiest convincing ds to meet any characters these days so I jumped at this.

Epcot is going to look so different. It's the new HS, everything will be a mess for ages till it's done.

A 10-minute wait for the bus and we were on our way back to French Quarter. The bus was pretty quiet, King of the Bus!

We quickly got changed and headed down to the foodcourt.
Before heading to the Orlando City game we thought it might be an idea to get something else to eat.

We ordered the chicken Alfredo pasta. This was nice enough but not as good as the create your own as I’d also add in mushrooms normally and there was no breadstick like before.

Dh and I shared a purple haze raspberry beer. This was nice enough but not particularly fruity.

We also ordered the jambalaya. This was disappointing! Ds loves to cook and this is his speciality dish that he makes us for dinner once a week and his is amazing so it might be an unfair comparison.

Tonight, we were off to see Orlando City against Columbus Crew. The Uber driver was a season ticket holder so was full of chat. We got an uber to the broken strings cauldron before the game and stopped off for a drink. It’s not a fancy place in the slightest but it’s friendly, full of Orlando City fans and a 5-minute walk to the stadium.

$14 for 2 beers and a Coke Zero, a tad less than Disney prices.

We headed along to the ground a little early, there were loads of stalls and games for the kids, it was a really good atmosphere, if we were going back, I’d be keen to head along there a bit earlier.

At the game it was $5 for soda or water and varying prices for beer, the most expensive being $11. It is cheaper to buy them at the food stalks than off the guys who wander round. It was roasting, our seats were in the sun for about the first 5 minutes of the game, I was melting, I’m amazed when I look around and some of the women are perfectly made up and I look like I’m melting from the inside out.

Ds was hungry and wanted pulled pork nachos. This thing was the weight of a brick, it was not what he thought it but he ate some and enjoyed it well enough despite its unappetising appearance. $10.

The game was ok, they won 1-0. The experience was good though.

We walked back to the pub afterwards and got an Uber from there, we ended up back at POFQ around 10.30pm. Ds and Dh nipped to the room to collect the mugs and came back with photos and a video of a little snake that had been hiding in one of the gaps in the pavement, you can hardly see it which I found worrying but in the video he took its fast as anything. eek…

We filled the mugs and dh had a beer and we sat outside the food court just chatting which was all very pleasant for a while. Later on, some guys arrived back from the football and sat close by. Let’s just say their topic of conversation and language was not what you would expect, thankfully they didn’t hang around for long.

Day 12 is here

Edited at 03:07 PM.
Rescuer is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A lovely morning at HS. It's great knowing you don't have to race with all the other people as you have a FP! I love the photo of your DS outside Tower of Terror. It didn't seem to appeal to him, hopefully when he goes back later in the trip he liked it a bit more. It does take some getting used to, but I love it!

I'd forgotten you went back to Nine Dragons. The food all looked really tasty there. Great to pick up a 4th FP too.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A lovely morning at HS. It's great knowing you don't have to race with all the other people as you have a FP! I love the photo of your DS outside Tower of Terror. It didn't seem to appeal to him, hopefully when he goes back later in the trip he liked it a bit more. It does take some getting used to, but I love it!

I'd forgotten you went back to Nine Dragons. The food all looked really tasty there. Great to pick up a 4th FP too.
I know, these are the small things that keep me staying onsite when at Disney.

Tower of terror was ridden by ds to stop me moaning at him. He survived and didn’t absolutely hate it! That’s a win😂

Nine dragons is really nice and will be staying on my list, it’s a great one to pay oop for as well. Have you ever been? It’s different to our Chinese food but really tasty.
Old 27 Aug 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
008Jerseygirl
Earning More Ears

Can I ask what type of bag did you take into the football as I thought I read that it needed to a small clear bag? Looking to go to a match for hubby's birthday. Thanks
008Jerseygirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I haven't ever been to Nine Dragons and we've only done the QS once on our first trip so we really should give it a go.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Oh no, Joe being hesitant about Tower of Terror is not what I wanted to hear. Can you please ask him for me what his current thoughts on it are? And is it over quickly if you hate it?

Love those photos in Italy, especially the Figaro one. I need that one as one of our cats looks just like him.

I’d love to go to an Orlando City game.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

It always feels good when you're going in a different direction to all the crowds at rope drop. It didn't stop you getting loads done at HS though.

Wow, you did really well to get a 4th FP for test track. DD really wants to eat at nine dragons but I'm struggling to fit it in to our plan - there are just too many restaurants in Epcot!
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by 008Jerseygirl View Post
Can I ask what type of bag did you take into the football as I thought I read that it needed to a small clear bag? Looking to go to a match for hubby's birthday. Thanks
I took Ds's little bum bag, which was just within the size limits, I wasn't keen to have all my personal stuff on show. I think if it's a clear bag it can be bigger.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I haven't ever been to Nine Dragons and we've only done the QS once on our first trip so we really should give it a go.
Definitely give it a try.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Oh no, Joe being hesitant about Tower of Terror is not what I wanted to hear. Can you please ask him for me what his current thoughts on it are? And is it over quickly if you hate it?

Love those photos in Italy, especially the Figaro one. I need that one as one of our cats looks just like him.

I’d love to go to an Orlando City game.
The word from Joe on the Tower of Terror is that the line and build up are worse than the ride itself. He says it's not over quickly but it's quicker than the line and the build up. Give it a go...

Oh how cute, you need to get that magic shot on your trip.

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
It always feels good when you're going in a different direction to all the crowds at rope drop. It didn't stop you getting loads done at HS though.

Wow, you did really well to get a 4th FP for test track. DD really wants to eat at nine dragons but I'm struggling to fit it in to our plan - there are just too many restaurants in Epcot!
It so does, I'd have been stressing out if I'd wanted to head for Slinky.

Epcot is the hardest place to decide where to eat. I don't know as well if I'd use ddp for Nine Dragons, the desserts didn't seem to be a great selection and the portions are very shareable. That said though I did really like it.

4th FP for Test Track was a bonus and then Soarin for a 5th.
Old 1 Sep 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
The word from Joe on the Tower of Terror is that the line and build up are worse than the ride itself. He says it's not over quickly but it's quicker than the line and the build up. Give it a go...

Oh how cute, you need to get that magic shot on your trip.

Thank you Joe, a very reasoned response.

I've been taking the country road home and driving probably too fast over the bumpy bits to get the funny tummy feeling to work out how much I hate it and if I could withstand it for a prolonged time I just want to ride it so I can stop wasting my time worrying about!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Loads done this morning at HS, good on your son giving TOT a go even if he doesn't like it that much. I'm like you, it's a must do for me, one of my favourites. Another good visit to Epcot, bonus picking up the extra fastpasses for the big rides there.

I imagine the atmosphere at the football game was quite impressive. I think we should give a sports game a go sometime, it's something different.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List