col2501
VIP Dibber

col2501's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
The PB&J Tour with a side of Birthday fun - August 2019 - Travel Day

Index here

My alarm went off at 5am, I gave my troops a bit longer while I got ready and had a cuppa in peace. As we were about to leave the hotel I got a text from Delta saying our flight was delayed by about 2 hours.

It didn't make a blind bit of difference to us because our layover in Boston was 8 hours anyway, I was glad about that then otherwise my stress levels would have been through the roof as we have never done indirect before now.

I did think, oh that means we can stay here for a bit longer, but of course we couldn't, check in time doesn't change even if the delay is known about prior to you reaching the airport, I know this! but had a momentary lapse in judgement, luckily I came to my senses straight away and we left for T3. The journey between these terminals takes about 40mins. I wasn't able to check in online for some reason, so had to try and do it at the delta/virgin kiosks in T3. It still didn't work. Luckily there was a virgin member of staff on hand to help me, she sorted it and printed our boarding tickets so we could do bag drop.

I think I had trouble cheking in because of the delay and that we could have changed route/time if appropriate but I was happy to keep our original route/timings.

Anyway, bags checked in successfully, I'm still baffled by the fact that there is no weight restriction on hnad luggage for Delta, Chris was twice what I am used to having because of his laptop, but I'm not complaining!

In Security Jess' bag got pulled because of liquids in her bag. They were packed correctly and in the right plastic bag but as they were the travel bottles that you put your own shampoo and conditioner inn, they get pulled anyway so they can test what us actually in them.

Poppy had to go through the body scanner, she was very brave, no tears, she spoke to the officers when they spoke to her, all fine - phew!

After getting throuh security off for breakfast we went. We chose the Curator and it was all good and reasonable prices for airport food anyway!

after the obligatory trip to boots, and a family selfie

we headed to the play area for Poppy. She is incredibly shy until she knows you so she wouldn't go and play at first but soon got past that and made a new friend. I talked to his Mum which made the time pass quicker

the gate was announced at 10.00am so we left the play area then, all boarded without incident and the sat together in the four middle row seats. Here's a photo of the menu

Jess, Poppy and I all had the chicken ( they don't have kids meals) and Chris had the pasta. I don't love plane food at all, this was okay.

film/TV wise there was A LOT to choose from, both old and new, Jess and Chris both watched End Game again. I watched Hidden Figures, I adore that film. I kept startting others but couldn't really concentrate so turned them off. I was still pre-occupied with the whole indirect thing and what to do at Boston airport. I don't like when I haven't done something before and don't know what to expect. We didn't have boarding passes for Boston either, as you have to go through immigration there and re check your bags back in and I was convinced we wouldn't be able to use the kiosks to check in again (I was right) but more on that in a bit...

The flight itself was fine, it was in darkness the whole time though, couldn't really get my head round this, everyone shut their windows and the lights were not on - it was a daytime flight! don't know if it's a delta thing or what? I found it strange, it happened on the way back too.

We landed at Boston Logan Airport at 2pm. The immigration hall was empty, well signposted and tannoys confirming where you shoud be (whether you are a first time ESTA entrant, had an ESTA before or a US or Canadian citizen.

We followed the relevant line to us and ended up at the Auto kiosks. All details input, printouts arrived, all fine...except mine, with a big cross through it. This means we had to go see an immigration officer, who asked more questions and re-did my photo and fingerprints. That was the problem, the machine didn't pick my prints up properly.

He was very nice (what I mean here is he was young and very handsome!), he was originally from Florida too. After he told us that I literally had nothing to say in return it's not often I'm at a loss for words ,trust me, I get myself into far too much trouble usually...having said that... He addressed us all by name before asking us a question. He called me Amanda (my middle name) so I corrected him - it's Colette!

After we we got our stamps and were on our way Chris said to me. for god sake woman, did you see the size of his gun, if he says you are Amanda you answer to Amanda!

We then went round the corner to pick up our bags and deposit them again for the Orlando flight. all in all we were done and dusted in half an hour, our bags were out super quick.

We walked over to Terminal A after landing in Terminal E to check in for the new flight and the fun begins. Wouldn't let me check in again. Rather than there being a member of staff on hand to do it for me as there was in Heathrow, instead we had to join special assisstance to get our boarding passes printed. We were in this Queue easily for 2 hours if not longer.

the only reason I didn't stress was because I knew we had such a long layover. Boy did we hear/see some sights in this queue. It really didn't matter where you were in the queue either because of course it was dependant on whose flight was leaving first and people were continually pulled out as their flight was final calling for them! There was shouting/screaming/crying, all kinds going on and the check in hall was packed and I mean packed, it was just a huge sea of people. I wanted to take a photo but didn't in case I made somone more upset than they already were.

By the time it was our turn I swear, we were at that counter for less than 5mins, we were laughing with the staff member that we weren't there to shout at him and he was like, aww guys, thats how I get all my good stories!

On to security now, Jess had been randomly selected for pre tsa clearance but at the time I had no clue what this was (I do now) so a less than helpful very stern man was telling Jess to go one way but not allowing us to with her. I was like, she is 13 - I am not leaving her in a strange airport when I have no idea where she is, can't I go with her. Nope. Nobody explained to me that she could just stay with us, which is what we did anyway...madness when you are not familar withb something and no-one wants to explain it to you!

However, all through Boston security no issues, no body scanners, Jess' bag was pulled again but all fine.

Off in search for food next we didn't want a meal so it was Auntie Anns pretzel dogs that were on offer, 2 for $6.29. Chris Poppy and I shared them and I had an iced tea lemonade.

Jess wanted a Starbucks (she's obsessed) so queued up and despite spelling her name for them, it came out as JAKS. Well Chris delights in winding the kids up and will dine out on that for a month at least. He will shout HI JAKS from the other side of the room no matter how busy it is and do a really over the top wave to Jess, while she slowly dies of embarrasment. thats what parents are for after all!

Jess wanted Pizza and got served the biggest piece ever, she thinks it was because she was behind 3 Americans who could not decide what they wanted and kept adding things, the staff member said, guys thats about 14 pieces of Pizza right there... it went on forever so I think he was just pleased when Jess knew exactly what she wanted with no fuss!

After food, Chris had a pint of IPA and we headed to a gate to find a seat. Poppy was exhausted. It was about 11pm UK time I think and she hadn't slept up to now.

We all hoped to sleep on the next flight, but there was a dog onboard who was not happy at all bless him and barked the whole time.
There were snacks and drinks served on board and we landed at 8.12pm which was 1am UK time.

Bags were out really quickly again, Kevin from Car on the drive was ready and waitng for us and we reached the villa at 2am UK time. Happy to be there but completely exhausted.

I would do indirect again for the right price, had we not had the mess around with our boarding passes, everything would have been fairly quick and straight forward!

I'll post photos of the villa and our hire car in tomorows update, when it should have been the day my son arrived to join us for the holiday...

Colette
Our 1st Magical Disney Holiday!
Never Mind Epricot Trip report Oct 11
All Star Music and Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando June 2009
Sunset Lakes DIBB villa & HRH 15th October 2011
Esprit DIBB Villa 17 June 2014
Dubai Trip Report - just the 2 of us 30 Nov 2011
Introducing Queen P to Orlando June 2014 Report plenty of offsite delights food report June 2014

Edited at 10:35 PM.
col2501 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Wow what a eventful travel day!
That special assistance line sounds hell, good job you had a long layover
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
col2501
VIP Dibber

col2501's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Wow what a eventful travel day!
That special assistance line sounds hell, good job you had a long layover
Thanks for reading, that’s exactly what I thought!

Colette
Introducing Queen P to Orlando June 2014 Report plenty of offsite delights food report June 2014
col2501 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

We are doing the same as you with Delta but via Detroit, and a much shorter layover, fingers crossed we don't get the same special assistance line!

looking forward to reading the rest!
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
col2501
VIP Dibber

col2501's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by AJ86 View Post
We are doing the same as you with Delta but via Detroit, and a much shorter layover, fingers crossed we don't get the same special assistance line!

looking forward to reading the rest!
Fingers crossed you will be fine and won't have to Q for your boarding cards. Honestly without that, it would have been such a quick, straight forward process.

Thanks for reading

Colette
Old 8 Sep 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Wow, what a long travel day, it's always such a relief when you arrive at your hotel/villa with the whole holiday ahead of you
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That was a long travel day

Joan
Old 9 Sep 19, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
col2501
VIP Dibber

col2501's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mick View Post
That was a long travel day

Joan

It really was Joan! But totally worth it!

Colette
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

Long day!
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

What a relief to get there- always good when a long layover means it reduces the stress of a travel day.
The curator at Heathrow really is good value isn’t it- we found the same when travelling through this summer- bit of a Uk airport first- not having to pay extortionate amounts for simple food👍👍

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List