Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 19 Sep 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG Little Lies California Road Trip - 20th July 2019 - Santa Cruz & Monterey

Day 3

Our last morning in San Fran . I had really enjoyed our time here and wished we had another 1 or 2 nights. I honestly didn’t think I would love this city as much as I did!

I woke up at 6.45am, seems to be the time I naturally wake up this holiday. Heard a few noises throughout the night but nothing that properly woke me up.

I quickly got up and dressed then Sam and I took the car down to Boudins on Jefferson St for 8am when it opened. We parked on the side road and thankfully there is no parking charge until 9am.
This place is full of amazing bakery goods, I wish we had gone here for a sit down lunch as their menu looked good.
We took a while to pick what pastries we were going to get for all 8 of us, there was too much choice

In the end we went with 2 cinnamon loaves, 4 chocolate chip cookies, 2 chocolate croissants, 2 butter croissants and a blueberry banana muffin for Sam and Jim a cappuccino. I also bought 2 tins of their clam chowder to bring back for my parents.
Altogether this came to $62.14.

From here popped into the Walgreens by our hotel to get some cold drinks and Pringles for the journey.
Back to the hotel, the Leans came up to our room so we could have breakfast together.

Once done we loaded up the cars with the suitcases and checked out. They had charged us 2 nights for a rollaway bed which we had found in our room on Thursday but didn’t think much of it as we hadn’t ordered it so just put it outside the room. I explained this so she took the $20 charge off but needed to get her manager to authorise it so would have to email me our receipt. Let’s hope they do as I really don’t want to have to phone to sort it out...

Once done I set the Sat Nav to go back down Lombard St to take some photos and for Hope and Sam to see it. No traffic again, I jumped out near the top to walk down. Such a pretty road, not sure I'd want to live here though

Our car

From here we drove to the Painted Ladies which for those that watched Full House or Fuller House will recognise. Lovely park area opposite.

Next stop, St Mary’s Catholic Church from the film Sister Act.

Jim was losing the will to live so I promised him no more stops, we could now get going to Santa Cruz
Goodbye San Francisco, we’ll be back!

Sat Nav said 1hr 40 to get there. We were soon on Interstate 280 heading South. We needed to come off soon after as the Leans needed to get fuel, their car had only come with half a tank in it.
Traffic was fairly heavy so took nearly 2 and a half hours overall to get there.

Once into Santa Cruz we found the beach boardwalk parking. It was absolutely gridlocked and would have taken at least an hour to get into the car park so we cut pass the row of cars and found somewhere else to park. Eventually found a car park that was only $5 a day to park and only a 5 minute walk back to the beach.

Huge train driving straight down the middle of the street

On the walk over I suddenly realised I had left our passports in the hotel safe . I couldn’t believe it, what an idiot!
Called the hotel straight away who told me to call back in 20 mins once they’d located them. I felt sick

In the meantime we needed to find somewhere to eat. We walked up to the pier and found a beach restaurant called Ideal Bar & Grill with an outdoor seating area, perfect!

Got a table for 8 outside then Jim called the hotel back to see if they’d found them which thankfully they had. He asked if they could keep them in their safe until we got back to San Fran on the 7th August before our flight home. I really wasn’t happy with this, I wanted them in my hands but Jim and the others convinced me they would be fine and perfectly safe .
Totally outnumbered I tried to put it to the back of my mind and enjoy the rest of the day...

Got back to ordering our lunch. I went with the chilli in a bread bowl, Jim a seafood melt with fries and the kids just a portion of fries each.

Food was lovely, quite spicy though so couldn’t finish it all but I gave it a good go!
We split the bill $80.78 including tip for each family.

We now found a spot on the beach for a couple of hours of doing absolutely nothing, bliss!

The passport issue was still niggling at me so I put a post on here asking for advice. Helen (Gryff) said about emailing them so I had written confirmation as we’d only had it confirmed verbally. So that’s what I did! Felt slightly better when they replied to me.
After an hour or so I went for a wander down the pier to see the Sea lions. They are so flipping cute, just look at them . Spent ages just watching them.

My shopping radar was alerted so I naturally went into a couple of gift shops on the pier for a look around. Unfortunately (or fortunately whichever way you look at it ) I didn’t have my purse on me so I would have to come back later.

Really wanted this cushion but at nearly $200 it would have to stay put

Back to the beach now and Helen had gone on a drinks run for us all.
The kids, Jim and Nick braved going in the water. I had a paddle and it was freezing

Some steaming drunk young Irish lads came over to Helen and I and were chatting nonsense with swearing every other word. We told them politely but firmly to do one . Helen said they were in the shop making complete prats of themselves and swearing loudly. They were drinking bottles of wine out of paper bags which isn’t allowed on the beach. Where’s a cop when you need one! I know I sound a bit of a misery but there were really little kids within hearing distance and they were pushing each other over nearly knocking into us and other families. There’s a time and place for all that

After half an hour or so of trying to ignore them we packed up and took a walk up the pier so the others could see the sea lions and I could pop back into the gift shop.

I bought a California and a Florida hand drawn tea towel, a Christmas decoration, 3 postcards, a magnet and a candle. $60.02 altogether.

Hope found a hoody in another shop but was umming and aahing whether to get it. I said to think about it as we would have to pass the shop on our way back down the pier.
The last shop we went in had some really lovely Billabong and Roxy clothing in. Helen and I love their stuff so we went into the changing rooms armed with dresses and tops. The men were loving life right about now
Only one fit perfectly so l got that one. Gave my CC a break at least! $54.57 including tax.

Also picked up some Beach Bum aftersun as Helen swears by this stuff after trying it for the first time they went to Daytona. $13.10.
We now made our way back, Hope decided to get the hoody so popped in to get it. This was $43.68.

We now went to find an ice cream before heading back to the car. We went back to where we had lunch and got a takeout. Vanilla in a cup for Hope, mint choc for Sam and chocolate for Jim and I. Lady server was very friendly, I’ve found most people we’ve come across so far to be.
Back to the car now and the final leg of our journey down to Monterey. Thankfully no traffic issues this time.

A rotary!

We stopped off in Marina to do a Walmart shop. We didn’t need much as we’re not staying in one place for too long but we still managed to spend $170
To be fair we bought an air mattress with an internal pump which was $55. This is so the kids don’t have to share a bed in some of our accommodations. Cheaper than paying for 2 rooms!

All important Pop Tarts!

It was gone 7 now so we made the 20 minute journey to our Air BnB telling the Leans we would meet them later at theirs for dinner. We are in Pacific Grove whereas they’re in Monterey itself.

Found it very easy, Pacific Grove looks just charming. Just outside our bungalow was a Mule deer wandering around!

Wow this place is amazing. 2 bedrooms, 2 spacious living areas, a large kitchen and a little courtyard garden. We were very happy indeed, after last years awful Airbnb in New York I had been redeemed on my planning skills
Took a few photos before it got messy!

Jim and Sam had a little nap, Hope had a shower and I just got changed and took a little wander down to the coast. It was literally a 3-4 min walk and this is what greeted me. Stunning!

Loads of the houses had been decorated in Chinese lanterns.

It was a little chilly so walked back to the house and rounded everyone up as it was now 8.30 and we still needed to eat.

Made the 10 minute journey to the Leans apartment. Theirs too is lovely in the centre of town.
Johnny Rockets was decided for dinner so jumped back in the car to get there.
Found some parking on the street a few roads back. I almost reversed into the car behind but stopped just in time thanks to the rear camera. It was parked taking up 2 spaces so I got out and politely asked the lady sitting in it if she could reverse a little bit so that I could get in. Well she gave me a mouthful of abuse saying I had backed into her and now I wanted her to move! I told her I didn’t touch her car and if she thought I had why didn’t she get out of her car and say something, she was just sat there . Anyway she then moved straight away and didn’t say anything else so Lord knows what she was on about. Crazy woman

Got seated after a few minutes in a booth for 6 then Helen and I had a table for 2. Was quite nice actually, a bit of peace and quiet!
We both chose the honey bbq chicken burger with tater tots, a Diet Coke and a child’s chocolate milkshake. I’m not sure what the others had.

Food took a little while but the milkshake was brought out first. Dear God this was good, I tried not to drink too much before I ate but it was hard not too
Burger was amazing too, just what I needed!

I had a voucher for a free burger so once that was taken off the bill it came to $70 for each family including tip.
It was gone 10pm by the time we were done so got straight in the car and drove back to our respective homes.

I wrote up some notes before crashing out at 11 . A busy but brilliant day.

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 07:45 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Lovely photos again. The drunk Irish chaps were a bit annoying. I remember your post about the passports I really felt for you at the time, I know I'd have been sick with worry about them...anyway, back to today. The apartment looks fab and so does dinner.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Oh nightmare on the passports, I remember you posting at the time.
And the drunk peeps and crazy lady. Life was out to get you today but ... did look great apart from that !
Your air bnb place looks brilliant .
Lovely Monterey. It really is just like Big Little Lies isn’t it !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Lovely photos again. The drunk Irish chaps were a bit annoying. I remember your post about the passports I really felt for you at the time, I know I'd have been sick with worry about them...anyway, back to today. The apartment looks fab and so does dinner.
We couldn’t believe the behaviour of them, they were blind drunk and being a complete nuisance. Such a shame as we were having a lovely time on the beach.
Even to this day I still can’t believe I was that stupid to leave them there, I was so pleased when they were in my hands again!
The house was just amazing, I’m glad we paid just a little extra to be there.
That was my first Johnny Rockets, their burgers are amazing. Definitely finding one for next year!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Oh nightmare on the passports, I remember you posting at the time.
And the drunk peeps and crazy lady. Life was out to get you today but ... did look great apart from that !
Your air bnb place looks brilliant .
Lovely Monterey. It really is just like Big Little Lies isn’t it !
Complete nightmare, something I hope I never repeat.
Haha yes! We did encounter some crazy people today 😆
It really did feel like walking in the set of Big Little Lies being in Monterey. Such a lovely place

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 9 Oct 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Just catching up with your trippie great read so far, we did this trip in 2013 and are looking to do it again next year. This is bringing back loads of brilliant memories for me. Love Johnny Rockets, our first one was in LA by the walk of fame. Wasn’t impressed with WOF.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Really helpful stuff. Thank you.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Macca04 View Post
Just catching up with your trippie great read so far, we did this trip in 2013 and are looking to do it again next year. This is bringing back loads of brilliant memories for me. Love Johnny Rockets, our first one was in LA by the walk of fame. Wasn’t impressed with WOF.
Thank you for reading, I’m really pleased it’s bringing back old memories. We have so many from this holiday. Dare I say it, more than Florida!
I can’t believe we’d never tried a Johnny Rockets before, we always will from now on for the milkshakes if nothing else 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 11 Oct 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Really helpful stuff. Thank you.
I’m really glad it’s helpful. Reading trip reports was the only way I managed to plan this whole holiday!
Thank you for reading

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Aw, it seems sad to leave San Fran so soon, it looks so nice there. Santa Cruz beach looks lovely, it's a shame it was spoiled a bit by the drunk Irish lads, and of course your worry over the passports. I hope you got them back without any bother on your return to San Fran.

What a beautiful place Pacific Grove looks to be, and what a fab Air BnB. I think I might need to watch Big Little Lies!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List