Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 May 20, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) Going Out in a Blaze of Glory - Summer of Sorcery 2019 - DAY 16 - You could have told me!

Welcome back - you made it...I hoped you would!

Well days don’t get any more memorable than this. Not going to give the surprise away but needless to say, I was the last to know!
That also makes today difficult to write about – the detail and planning that others had put in and indeed the lying and deceit that occurred too. With over 700 photos to choose from , the editing proved as tricky as typing it all up!

Day 15 if you missed it is just here

The whole index for 2019 and a link to all of the previous shenanigans is here

Thank you reading and hope you enjoy

Welcome to DAY 16

Thursday 8th August 2019

I’m starting with the bit I had a bit of input on!

Although when everyone reads this, I’m sure they will reveal I was set up even more than I thought!

Trying to get two families to merge Disney days is difficult, we all know that. After meeting a couple of times already on this holiday our long time friends, that we met on this online place called The Dibb, on our very first, whole family, trip of a lifetime. We had arranged a morning out together.

With the thought of staying out all day we got a Lyft to Contemporary Resort ( 10am -$12.21 after deducting a $5 credit we already had)

The excellent Lyft driver got us there early, and as we left the boys as the front of the queue at the boat dock, so we sought out a coffee with our handy refillable mug we had brought with us.

We also got a pastry to share just to avoid any hunger for the next hour!

Neil and I had planned this as one thing that could be something that we had all never managed to do on a trip to WDW, it did not cost much either - which given we were two families of 4 some of the in- park tours and firework cruises really do start to get expensive.

This was just $45 per half hour and the best thing was, you got to skipper your own boat.

That next hour was just amazing- viewing each of the Disney Resorts from the water - Bay Lake Tower, Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge was one thing but to be able to view Discovery Island and the previous site of River Country.

We also saw the esteemed tree of the white trainers, where retired ferry Skippers throw their white trainers on their last day at work.
There was much earth moving in River Country and the whole area looked ready for the new DVC building that will be adjacent to Wilderness Lodge.

Then into Seven Seas Lagoon to view Magic Kingdom and the Grand Floridian plus the chance to avoid the ferries from the TTC . It was very well patrolled although they were keen to ensure you did not get anywhere near one of the Ferries.

The onboard radio helped the cause too with the ability to listen to Disney music whist on the middle of the lake.

The hour whizzed by, it was great fun and only when we got off, did we think it would have been an idea to have brought a picnic and a couple of beers!

Once we got back onto dry land we quickly realised just how refreshing the breeze on the lake was – it was pressure cooker hot and was so noticeable without that breeze.

As we all said our farewells, we were Epcot bound and The Reeters were off to do other stuff - you will find out soon!

We jumped aboard the Monorail at Contemporary and headed to the TTC and then straight on to Epcot.

We managed a quick photo on entry, but not the one we really wanted as the photographers were scattered by the incoming storm which meant we found shelter for 10 minutes just to avoid getting soaked. You might even see the incoming rain in the pic!

Pluto was the first one out after the rain and a bit of a reward for taking shelter

As a result we then dived into Spaceship Earth, which was a bizarre experience as it would not accept any prodding from my finger and was firmly stuck in Portuguese language mode – now as much as I love hearing Dame Judy Dench's spiel after firmly prodding her with my finger, this was so different and it meant that you were simply retelling the Dame Judy script in your own time machine – the Portuguese was told with the exact timing and intonation, yet by someone else in Portuguese.

Different! But I was so glad to get off!

As we exited, we headed to Soarin’ and at this point of the day the many months of planning by other people kicked into action – I was the only one not to know and was speechless at the surprise – I was ambushed at the entrance to the ride and everyone then had pins to put on and I got presented with a set of ears to wear for the rest of the day.

With no plans to celebrate my birthday at home – it had been a piece of masterful planning by everyone in getting this to fruition. I will avoid saying how much they must have lied and deceived me in the past few weeks and days.

With Birthday pins and a hat, there was just one question to ask when we got to board Soarin’ - "Front row in the middle please!" The hat meant for just one reply – "Happy Birthday and just wait a moment. "

Time for a Selfie moment just before take off -

Soarin' to tower , these people have been lying to me for weeks!

I would imagine there was a look of relief in their faces as you never know how someone will react to a surprise, especially one to celebrate a birthday that isn't high on my agenda to celebrate!
I had passed the first test, as Neil was unsure I would even wear the birthday ears - it had to be done

From there, we needed a quick food stop, so with a party of 8 - Sunshine Seasons catered for every food and snack requirement.

Next stop was to Mousegear to buy pins and a 'Farewell to Illuminations' tee shirt, making use once again of the Annual Pass that The Reetsers had, was a handy saving once again.

Transcending the time from our very first meeting back in 2008 , we have enjoyed seeing our children grow and the friendship they share is amazing – for them to be in Florida together means one thing and now they are all older, they enjoy going off and enjoying the parks together and generally having a laugh – which usually ends up with Joe being daft and returning with tales to tell and possibly more they choose not to!
This photo is one of my favourites as it just about sums Joe up!

They enjoyed Test Track twice , Spaceship Earth , the colour thing in Innovations, Mission Space, Seas with Nemo and they then went to Turtle Talk with Crush (I’m not even thinking what went on in there) photos also show a sneaky Starbucks stop and a Club Cool visit!

As for the adults, we headed out of Mousegear and headed towards World Showcase and turned left…

Mexico tequila bar first stop! But we stuck to the Dos Equis rather than the hard stuff!

And so, began our meandering walk around World Showcase, oh and a little bit of drinking around the World too.

We just enjoyed the catch up, the chat and the shared awareness that we really need to do this more often- if it was in the UK it could save us a few quid in airfares!

We reached the bridge at exactly the right time, with a chance to see all of the Illuminations pontoons being driven out into the Lagoon.

By the time we reached Germany the beer was finding alternative competition! The wine walk was a great idea and added something different to the afternoon.

The merchandise was also impressive!

You might also notice there is a bit of a gap there Germany, Italy …….. France!

Now that is a long way to go – so a stop in the American pavilion was needed and welcomed!

For the observant among you, yes there was just 4 of us, the beers of the American Pavilion were too good to resist!

By this time the temperature was at pressure cooker level once again and I think we all sensed what was incoming, we opted out of a stop in Japan and Morocco and as luck would have it, we arrived into France just as the skies opened, it also gave an opportunity to find the merch options that were already being sold in readiness for the opening of The Ratatouille ride,

there was some great pieces here but they were rejected in favour of a special birthday champagne moment.

The sight of a huge rainbow was a beautiful sight over the park and hopefully a sign that the weather was going to pass for the rest of the day.

One final stop brought us to the Rose and Crown for a Strongbow and beers too.

It magically saw the return of the children from the other side of the park – they had just finished with Crush and obviously the hunger pangs had signalled the alarm that it was time for food!

It also brought the next surprise in the whole day, of all the visits to Epcot we had never eaten at The Rose and Crown, usually deciding on food dishes that we would not have at home.

Tonight, was going to be a first and it was a perfect choice.

Unbeknown to me there was a reservation already made and it was already on the system that it was my birthday, so when I arrived at the podium to check in I was met with a lovely CM from Northern Ireland who insisted I wore a Mickey enhancement to go with my hat!

How very kind!

From there, our 7 pm reservation was just a perfect way to celebrate a notable birthday and even as I type all of this up to post it, it was a truly memorable day.

Our server in The Rose and Crown was superb, the food was superb and by the time it got to Illuminations , we also managed to get a great spot on the edge of the lagoon.

With eight of us there was so many different dishes to take a photo of – I think I nearly got them all!

Scotch Egg starter was delicious, and was a great recommendation.

Main courses ranged from Fish and Chips, to Curry, to burgers and were superb. Probably way beyond the expectations we had previously had of eating here.

The firework view here was so close to where we had all met nearly 12 years ago, on an Illuminations Cruise and it was fitting that this was our very last viewing of a firework show that we will never seen again.

Who could have ever of imagined what would become of a shared boat trip all those years ago and to where we are now.

As a final show goes, it was Illuminations and that always makes for a powerful and emotional enjoyment, from the blowing out of the fire around World Showcase to the ending music.

A beautiful show that is needing to change and to evolve into something new, it is a tired and aging replica of its former glories – a bit like me you may cry!

I was a privilege to share our final viewing with the same family we had shared one of our very first family viewings.

Anyway, before I overdo the emotional bit, there was still food to be eaten and a bill to be paid.
Once we had enjoyed the fireworks we returned to the table to our desserts and a lovely little surprise too.

The quality of the whole evening had been superb, the staff all coming to share the happy birthday chorus and the overall quality of the service had been exceptional. With an 18% tip already added we also chipped in a bit more too.

We still did not want the evening to end and by the time we knew it was coming to an end, we also became aware of how quiet the park was.

We all would have loved just exploring , but security were already onto us and wishing us a kindly goodnight, whilst directing us to the exit!

We decided to head to the Yacht and Beach Club to get a Lyft back to the villa.

As we said goodbye to Neil, Karen, Rees and Katie, we shared a huge thank you. This has certainly been a birthday to remember.

I am willing to forgive you all for the planning deceit and setting up of the whole day, I thank you all, for the gifts, the friendship and the laughs and also for the fact that we should do this more often!

Our final giggle of the day came in the booking of the Lyft, I will leave you all to your own sniggering point as you read this! But, it was a shared funny by the boys in the car, all the way back to Lake Wilson Preserve.

After such an amazing day I can only finish by adding a huge Thank You to Alison, my wife.xx – she made this whole thing happen.
What a day to remember and what a place to always know where we all celebrated my 50th. Love you and thank you so much xx

A day, in all our theme park days, that will be remembered forever.

If you got this far reading, you probably wonder how we manged to get his far in one day too. A brilliant day and a birthday I will never forget.

Thanks for reading

DAY 17 is here to carry on the reading!

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 11:54 PM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 03:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Jamesfam
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

What a great day! And a very happy birthday to cherish 😀
Jamesfam is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

What a fantastic surprise. It’s sounds like a wonderful day!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

What an amazing day and a perfect way to spend your 50th birthday.
A very belated happy birthday
Old 14 May 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
A fantastic day with lots of great surprises :spin and as you say you won’t forget it 🎉🎉🎉

Joan
Old 14 May 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

What a fabulous day! We did boat hire a few years ago. Didn’t know about the trainer tree. You even had a rainbow! Never eaten at the R&C. Looks good. Special birthdays should be celebrated and your family and friends did you proud! X
Old 14 May 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

What a great day and some wonderful memories!
2010- Port Orleans Riverside/ Royal Pacific
2013- Saratoga Springs/Portofino Bay
2015- Saratoga Springs/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2017 - Beach Club/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2018 - Las Vegas and Florida East Coast
2019- Los Angeles and Las Vegas
SloanRangers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Jamesfam View Post
What a great day! And a very happy birthday to cherish 😀
Thank you glad you enjoyed reading about it

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Brilliant! What a fabulous day John. You are very lucky with your good lady and those two boys.

Stay safe all of you!

Next day please
Old 14 May 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Best Birthday Ever! What a wonderful surprise, you must have been on cloud nine and I’m sure you can forgive a few little fibs A perfect Disney Day and you rocked your Birthday Ears
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List