Old 16 Jun 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Pacific Northwest Aug 2019 - Day 4 Crater Lake National Park

We were still awake bright and early - got to love that 8 hour time difference – so headed down for breakfast at 7am. Despite the early hour, the breakfast room was full and we had our fill of usual hotel breakfast including fruit, cereal and plastic scrambled eggs! In my notes it says Steve had sausages and gravy although Daniel and I nicknamed it ‘turds and gravy’ as that is what it looked like!

We then packed up and headed out on the road towards our next stop which was the wonderful sounding Crater Lake National Park stopping at subway and Walmart on the way to pick up lunch and supplies. The drive took longer than we had thought at just over 2 hours and although we arrived just after 10am, already the car parks were very busy.

Our first stop was the Rim Visitor Centre where we happened upon our first views of Crater Lake which completely blew us away. Words cannot really describe the beauty of the lake nor the vibrancy of the colours and it really is one of the most stunning places we have ever visited.

After a comfort break and quick look around the shop, we headed out on Rim Drive, which unsurprisingly goes completely around the lake, taking in the amazing views until we reached the trail head for Watchman’s point. We took one of the last spots in the car park, grabbed plenty of water and headed up the trail. Despite the number of cars, there were not that many people on the trail - probably as it was quite steep. However, it was fairly easy ascent and were at the top in about 40 minutes. We spent some time taking in the stunning views before heading back down the trail to the car. Once at the car we devoured the doughnut middles we bought at Walmart earlier that morning, noticing how much better they taste at altitude and after a strenuous walk.

We drove on for a while, stopping at view points and looking for somewhere to eat our picnic lunch. There seemed to be a complete dearth of picnic tables but eventually we spotted one, quickly pulled in and made Daniel run and claim it. We sat in the sunshine enjoying the fabulous views, but didn’t linger as we didn’t want to hog the only picnic table in the park!

We carried on the drive around the lake, stopping at view points for photos. The highlights included the phantom ship, Cloud Cap overlook and Sun Norton Lookout. We got back to the Rim village and visitor centre around 3pm, feeling a little tired, hot and in need of refreshments. We mooched around the shop, bought some souvenirs and had an unsuccessful hunt for ice-creams. So instead we chilled out in some rocking chairs on the porch of the lovely looking Rim Lodge.

It was then time to check in to our accommodation for the night. We weren't staying at the Lodge but a short drive away in a cabin in the Mazama Campground. Check-in seemed to take forever and we obviously caught it at the wrong time but eventually we had out keys and drove to our cabin, which was rustic and basic but very clean. I was slightly dismayed to discover there was no hair dryer but soon got over that and we all enjoyed a rest after a busy day and early start.

That night we walked over to Annie’s restaurant which was cafeteria style but had a good dinner. Dan and I shared a pizza whilst Steve had an excellent burger. After dinner we chilled outside our cabin with a beer and then fell asleep early, not doubt due to a mixture of clean air, hiking and altitude.

Edited at 10:20 PM.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Beautiful photos which brought back some good memories. We loved Crater Lake and stayed at the Crater Lake Lodge - in the snow, in June! (See report below!). An unforgettable experience. Wish we'd been able to do the rim drive too but just a little too early!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Your photos are gorgeous, but you're making me so sad. 😥 We have cancelled all our hotels now, we were just hanging onto our flights till we really had to cancel, which will be around the beginning of August.

Our crater Lake trip was at the beginning of the trip as we were going by train from Seattle to Klamath Falls, then overnight there and back on the train to LA the next night. You have cleared something up though, so thanks 😁 We were undecided whether to take a bus tour to Crater Lake or hire a car for the day. I think hiring a car would give us more flexibility whilst there, so as long as we set off early to get parked it should be fine.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to reading your trip report, then getting on and rebooking everything for next year.
Old 16 Jun 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by anji View Post
Beautiful photos which brought back some good memories. We loved Crater Lake and stayed at the Crater Lake Lodge - in the snow, in June! (See report below!). An unforgettable experience. Wish we'd been able to do the rim drive too but just a little too early!
I remember looking at your photos and hoping we would avoid the snow! Such a beautiful place - whatever the weather though
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Crater Lake is the most amazing place to visit - I was also there in June, but we couldn’t drive round the rim as the road wasn’t opened yet and there were 8’ high snowdrifts at the side of the road. I loved sitting in the rocking chairs on the terrace at the Lodge overlooking the lake enjoying a picnic lunch.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Your photos are gorgeous, but you're making me so sad. 😥 We have cancelled all our hotels now, we were just hanging onto our flights till we really had to cancel, which will be around the beginning of August.

Our crater Lake trip was at the beginning of the trip as we were going by train from Seattle to Klamath Falls, then overnight there and back on the train to LA the next night. You have cleared something up though, so thanks 😁 We were undecided whether to take a bus tour to Crater Lake or hire a car for the day. I think hiring a car would give us more flexibility whilst there, so as long as we set off early to get parked it should be fine.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to reading your trip report, then getting on and rebooking everything for next year.
I am sorry to hear your trip is cancelled this year but glad you are going next year instead. I do think hiring a car would give you much more freedom and the rim drive is spectacular.
Old 16 Jun 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
Crater Lake is the most amazing place to visit - I was also there in June, but we couldn’t drive round the rim as the road wasn’t opened yet and there were 8’ high snowdrifts at the side of the road. I loved sitting in the rocking chairs on the terrace at the Lodge overlooking the lake enjoying a picnic lunch.
I wanted to do that but they got covered in snow as soon as we got there!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Stunning pictures, it looks beautiful. And hurrah for donut middles, we love them
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Stunning pictures, it looks beautiful. And hurrah for donut middles, we love them
It really is a beautiful place and well worth a visit. So sad we can’t get doughnut middles over here!
Old 29 Jun 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Crater Lake is stunning and your pictures are beautiful. Dinner sounds delicious. After a busy day I’m not surprised you needed an early night! Another great day.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List