Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 May 21, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Petalnick
Proud to wear my Ears

Driving straight from Miami to Orlando

Has anyone driven straight from Miami to Orlando?

My husband is keen to drive straight from Miami airport to Orlando but I’m not sure. We arrive at 2pm in Miami. He is a confident overseas driver and we have done the Miami to Orlando drive before although 10 years ago. Looking at maps it seems to be around 3.45 hr drive but obviously need to get through immigration and pick up our car.

We are staying the night at Heathrow the night before so won’t have had an early start.

I’m not sure and think a night at a Miami airport hotel might be better. Our sons will be 5 and 7 but I am sure they would just sleep in the car.
Petalnick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
LeClare76
Proud to wear my Ears

I’m looking at driving Miami to Orlando but going to stay overnight as I’m doing the driving. If I was with someone as keen as your husband I’d go for it! 😂
LeClare76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

You will get difference of opinion on this, we have always drove straight to Orlando, you will probably be in car about 4ish so prob will hit rush hour, but once out of the main area it’s very straight forward.
If you decide to stay you will very likely to have a early start with body clock kicking in.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

We’re doing this next year. I’m planning on driving straight there with a stop or 2 on the way. Arriving at Miami roughly 3:30, with a stop or 2 I don’t mind getting to ASMo later that evening.
Old 18 May 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Staying the night at the airport. I’ve considered driving up but not going to risk it after a long flight and long day. After getting through immigration, luggage and then getting the car I know my temper will have been tested and in unfamiliar surroundings potentially in rush hour. Will be up early anyway so will drive early to Orlando.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

If you arrive 2pm without delays then it’s probably 3pm when you reach your car. 4 hours without traffic gets you to Orlando by 7pm (midnight uk time). We’ve done the drive several times & it’s quite simply but dull. My husband wouldn’t do it simply for tiredness & for us it’s not worth the risk, but we are more used to early mornings than late nights with two young ones in tow.

Defo see the benefit of having travel day done with!

But I think for us we’d make the most of jet lag and just get up super early the following day xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve done it after an earlier shorter flight from Mexico.

Would do it again if the flight landed early enough, 2pm would be doable I think.

We’ve got an overnight this year as we’re on the later flight and by the time we’d arrive it seems a waste of the high cost of HRH. Instead we’re staying in Palm Springs, we’ve got a 1 bed suite at the Embassy Suites for £79 including breakfast. We’ll head over straight after we’ve eaten and still get a good amount of time at universal once we arrive.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are staying overnight and will use the early morning to drive to Orlando.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

More than once and that is from the flights which arrive 4ish although once didn't get out of the airport till 6 due to a problem picking up the car. It did make for a very long day but if I was on the early flight then wouldn't hesitate to drive straight up.

Easiest route is to take the US27 as it is turn right out of the airport onto Le Jeune and a few miles later you exit LEFT onto the slip road for the 27 and turn right at the I4 to get to Disney. We normally stop on the way (either Clewiston or Sebring) to get something to eat. It is busy to start with as you get out of Miami, then miles and miles of farming, before it becomes a few towns and lots of coutryside inbetween.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Petalnick View Post
Has anyone driven straight from Miami to Orlando?

My husband is keen to drive straight from Miami airport to Orlando but I’m not sure. We arrive at 2pm in Miami. He is a confident overseas driver and we have done the Miami to Orlando drive before although 10 years ago. Looking at maps it seems to be around 3.45 hr drive but obviously need to get through immigration and pick up our car.

We are staying the night at Heathrow the night before so won’t have had an early start.

I’m not sure and think a night at a Miami airport hotel might be better. Our sons will be 5 and 7 but I am sure they would just sleep in the car.
That will be tough in my view. By the time you get through immigration, get the car, probably be some sort of covid delay and then you will likely be in rush hour. After a 10 hour flight, couple of hours to get out and then another 4 hour drive that is hard. We opted to stay over. Given you wake early, can get underway refreshed for a good run to Orlando.

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List