Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 9 Jun 21, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Southern California – 2019 14 – Disneyland Park and California Adventure

I’ve been an absolute failure with this trip report and nearly 2 years on I can’t find my trip notes. So … I’m going to continue with some photos and things I remember. Sorry the next entries will be very brief, but I hope you enjoy the photos.

Southern California – 2019 14 – Disneyland Park and California Adventure
Tuesday August 20th 2019

Today is our last full day in California (we thought for a year, but who knows when we’ll actually get back?)

I creep out of bed and peep out of the window to see the lifeguards having a training session in the hotel pool.

After our usual coffee in the room our plan is to get the monorail to Disneyland and try to get to Galaxy’s Edge early enough to beat the crowds to the Smugglers Run ride and if the queue is less than 40 minutes we’ll ride it.

Our plan starts well and the park isn’t very busy at all. We make our way to the entrance to GE

and now our cunning plan is thwarted as there is a cast member enforcing a one way system into GE and we are forced to walk around the lake to get to the other entrance. Now, the monorail was quicker for our route but had we known the one way system we’d have entered the park at the main gate.

By the time we get into GE the queue is well over an hour and we decide we don’t want to ride it enough to wait.
We head back to Main Street and buy breakfast and sit outside to eat. We were very amused by the ducks drinking from the tram lines.

After yesterday’s manic rush around the rides we decide to take things at a slower pace today and try and fit in some of the things we missed.

We see quite a few characters out and about.

And we spot the Pearly Band before we have a ride on Peter Pan’s flight.

Then the Story Book boat ride which was very relaxing and had great details.

We then have a relaxing ride on the Mark Twain Riverboat.
We spot lots of scenes and some people kayaking.

After that we head over to Mickey’s Toontown.
In the shop I spot a Starbuck’s travel mug and still don’t buy it (and still regret it!)

The shop was very cute and had a line of hands moving along the ceiling.

We had pizza for lunch and watched children having character greetings while we ate.

Then we checked out the show schedule and headed off to watch the Tangled show. It was very clever – such talented performers. A good show for the kiddies with some asides that were directed at adults – great fun.

We made our way back along Main Street taking far too many photos. We stopped to watch the band and noted they were dressed in blue whereas in WDW we’d seen the band in red.

More photos from the station.

Then over to the California Adventure to watch Frozen. This was a huge performance in a huge theatre. No photos were allowed but I sneaked a snap of the stage before the show began.

The children’s voices were a bit weak but the show really came to life with the adult performers.
It was an hour long and well worth the 30 minute wait to get seated.

We then went back to the hotel to finish packing.

I thought we’d spend the evening in DTD and then watch the fireworks from the roof again but DH said he’d like to go back to the park. Maybe not to do rides but just to take in the atmosphere on our final evening of our holiday and I was more than happy to agree.

It was already dark when we exited the hotel via its side door.

We mooched our way through the shops noting the vibrant colours of the snacks on offer.

We then went for a walk around the lake.

A crowd had gathered for Fantasmic and most of the viewing areas were roped off for fastpasses or already full. A CM directed to the first “open” viewing area and for about 15 minutes wait had a great view of Fantasmic. The floats were amazing as were the boats.

The actual River boats are used for this show rather than props.
When Fantasmic finished we stayed put to watch the fireworks. Fountains of water were used to show the projections (that we’d hardly seen on the castle the night before.) I could feel myself crying as we watched – I think most people will know that mix of pure joy and sadness at the end of a Disney holiday.
We then followed the masses to exit the park and return to our hotel. I’m so glad DH suggested the evening in the park.
(I can’t remember what we ate; as before it was probably counter service.)

For a quieter day we'd been very busy.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List