Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jul 21, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

OP I think they look great! It's such a shame you've had an ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ of a joiner and there's a couple of things that need rectifying. We won't bother getting a quote from Sharps now.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I’ve had Sharps wardrobes in 2 houses and they were in no way shape or form fittted like that
The very long run in one house they told us there would be a join in the cornice so we altered the plan by the middle section being just that bit shallower it housed shoes and shelf’s and a set of drawers
Like you I’d have been livid with the fitter
Helen, I think we just have had an unfortunate experience, I would hate to think that anyone else would have had the same issues as us.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by magickate View Post
OP I think they look great! It's such a shame you've had an ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ of a joiner and there's a couple of things that need rectifying. We won't bother getting a quote from Sharps now.
Thank you, we do love the wardrobe doors. Yes, I do think there are things that could have been done differently by the joiner please don’t let me put you off, I would hope that our experience was not ‘normal’.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
I've been watching this with interest as we are trying to decide about wardrobes at the moment. Sharps came and quoted over £4000 for a run of wardrobes to cover a run of 295cm. That was without backs. We could have IKEA Pax for £1475 instead but I want something more substantial. Not sure what to do but having seen what happened to you I don't think we will be going with Sharps.
If Pax are fitted properly then they are sturdy especially if you choose your own joiner to “build them in”.

We were quoted over £10k for wardrobes in our dressing room and 2 other bedrooms for Sharps type wardrobes, none bigger than a triple! We bought 3 Pax - 1 triple, 1 1/2 and 1 double, all with mirrors, rails, shelves and lights, built by Dh for £1k and later will get our joiner to box in for around £500.

If we leave here we didn’t want to spend that kind of money that we couldn’t take with us!
Old 27 Jul 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Have a look at Nolte robes. Really well built as one would expect from a German Company.
Off to see some at the weekend. They look like the sort of thing we want. Thanks for the advice.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
The Installation Manager dropped in today and we went through all the snagging issues and it went much better than expected. He was aware of the ‘throwing materials from the second floor window’ incident as the joiner phoned and told him in advance. Also it seems that the joiner told us several fibs that were surprising to the Manager, so we are now waiting for another joiner to come back (approximately 7-10 days) and rectify the issues.

The Installation Manager said that he would be speaking to the joiner about his behaviour on our job but I don’t honestly expect it will go any further than that. We are satisfied with the outcome, however I think in future I would look to find a smaller more Local Company so that there is more accountability for the work done. I will also now act as soon as there are issues with a Tradesperson, I have never felt so uncomfortable in my own home and I won’t let that happen again. The carpet fitter will be here tomorrow to relay the carpets and I have everything crossed that it goes smoothly- he laid our carpets originally so I’m happy to have him back! Thanks again to Mr TM for all your advice, it definitely helped!

Edited at 05:32 PM.
Old 8 Aug 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Our carpet fitter came back during the week and did a wonderful job of putting our carpets back as they were. It’s been lovely to move the bed back to the middle of the room (I now no longer have to vault over DH to get out of bed )

The joiner left on Monday 26th and I received a call during the week to say that a new joiner would be available to come out on the afternoon of Saturday 7th August to fix all the snagging issues. It wasn’t ideal as we were going to take my Mum out for her birthday but she said to reschedule her so we could finally get the bedroom finished. So we waited and waited and waited yesterday and there was no call and no joiner, they just didn’t turn up. I feel terrible for not seeing my Mum and I am really disappointed that no one from Sharps has been in touch (I will call them in the morning to follow up).

On a brighter note, our bedroom looks lovely and feels huge, we have also decided to replace our bed and our light fitting!

Old 8 Aug 21, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyfloss
Imagineer

Late to this thread and sadly had a similar experience with Sharps about 4 years ago.
Less units than you but fitted in the same appalling fashion I’m sad to say.
I too went down the route of the manager who came to my house and agreed what an awful job it was, we made a list of all that needed rectifying and he gave me a date when the joiner would come. A month later several pieces of board were delivered followed a week later by a fitter who said he didn’t need them and I should dump them!
He then disagreed with the list made by the manager and proceeded to do his own thing.
They were better than the original but still lacking the finish I expected. I emailed the CO who after some heated discussion offered a 50% refund.
I accepted as we were leaving for Florida the next day and had had enough.
I hope it works out for you and stick to your guns!
Tillyfloss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Your bedroom looks amazing! So jealous. I’m also sleeping on a bed shoved in the middle of the room to avoid skirting boards at the minute.
It’s very naughty for them to have stood you up! Especially on your Mum’s birthday (does she live over here too).
I would very much complain to be honest. I am never one to try for money off etc, but I think you have had a really rough deal
Old 9 Aug 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tillyfloss
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Your bedroom looks amazing! So jealous. I’m also sleeping on a bed shoved in the middle of the room to avoid skirting boards at the minute.
It’s very naughty for them to have stood you up! Especially on your Mum’s birthday (does she live over here too).
I would very much complain to be honest. I am never one to try for money off etc, but I think you have had a really rough deal
Just for the record I too do not ‘try for money off’- like the OP I just wanted a good job done for the price paid.
The initiative for the refund was from Sharps.
Tillyfloss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List