Notices

Old 19 Oct 21, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Sounds like a great trip planned not long to wait now!

We stayed at the Hilton Universal, really nice hotel, we even had a view of Hogwarts. Easy walk across to Citywalk and down the hill to the Metro (we used to take the shuttle up the hill).

Tropicana is in a perfect spot, we used to stop at the mini-market for snacks walking back to Ho-Jo's
dismamx2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
Sounds like a great trip planned not long to wait now!

We stayed at the Hilton Universal, really nice hotel, we even had a view of Hogwarts. Easy walk across to Citywalk and down the hill to the Metro (we used to take the shuttle up the hill).

Tropicana is in a perfect spot, we used to stop at the mini-market for snacks walking back to Ho-Jo's
Hilton now have an App that you can self check in and choose your room and use your phone to unlock the door. I haven't booked a theme park view room, but as I am going in a hopefully quiet low crowd time, I am wondering if the theme park view rooms will show as available when I do the self check in.

I know it will be January but I'm still planning to sit by the pool and just chill.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Hilton now have an App that you can self check in and choose your room and use your phone to unlock the door. I haven't booked a theme park view room, but as I am going in a hopefully quiet low crowd time, I am wondering if the theme park view rooms will show as available when I do the self check in.

I know it will be January but I'm still planning to sit by the pool and just chill.
Sounds great We didn't book a theme park view (I personally wouldn't pay extra for it) but it was nice to have gotten it.
dismamx2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Time for another update

I have finally renewed my ESTA. My previous one ran out in June 2020 and I didnt want to renew until the travel ban was removed. Doing the ESTA has always been part of my trip planning and I didn't want to do it until I knew exactly when I would be returning to USA.

I have also now booked my car services for my January trip. I need 3 journeys, from LAX to Universal, from Universal to Anaheim and then Anaheim to LAX. I decided to use Midwilshuttle, as recommended by Disboard members. I got the three quotes, which are in my budget range and I like the fact that the fare can be paid by cash or card to the driver.. The car services are far more than I used to pay with Supershuttle shared van, but there is nothing I can do about that, I just have to budget more for transport.

As if planning for my January trip to California was not enough, I have also started planning for my June California trip. I wasnt going to plan and book things this early but I got an email from Aer Lingus about about the direct Dublin to LAX returning and a special offer deal if booked before November 9.

For June I decided to do something a bit different. In previous years I have done a 3 location trip, visiting New Orleans one year and San Francisco another year. For June 2022 I have decided to visit Seattle. I have booked Dublin to JFK and LAX to Dublin with Aer Lingus and JFK to Seattle with Delta.

To get from Seattle to LA I have booked Amtrak train, in a sleeper room. The journey time is approx 35 hours and will pass through 3 states, Washington, Oregon and California. The private roomette price includes lunch and dinner on the first day and breakfast, lunch and dinner on the second day. All meals are cooked onboard, similar to business class on a plane and can be eaten in the dining car or room service.

I have been watching lots of YouTube videos and travelling by train, especially on the sleeper trains in a private room is a safe and fun way to travel in USA when you don't have a car.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

The next on my to do list is to book my hotel for my first and last night in LA.

My flight lands at 8.30pm. This is later than I usually arrive in LA. By the time I land in LA it will be approx 24 hours from the time I leave my house in Dublin, so when I get my bags from the luggage carousel all I want to do is get to my hotel. I decided to book at hotel at LAX for my arrival night, get a good nights rest and then in the morning, refreshed get a car service to Hilton Universal.

My flight back to Ireland leaves at 9.am which means getting to the airport around 6am. I really dont want to be travelling from Anaheim to LAX, at 5am so I decided to book a hotel at LAX for the night before. This means I will check out of the Tropicana, be able to have lunch in Downtown Disney and then in the afternoon get a car service to LAX and have a good nights sleep before my journey home.

I decided to splurge and book Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles International Airport North for both my first and last night.

Seeing as I have joined the Hilton Honours Club for my stay at Universal, I decided to book at Hilton at LAX too and collect the points. I chose the more expensive Embassy Suites as it has better onsite food options.

There is a free shuttle which goes to both hotels. The hotel shuttle pick up at LAX is at the departures level, right outside the door of the terminal, so I don't have to get myself to the LAXIT pick up area. The shuttles run on a loop, 24 hours a day, so I don't even have to contact the hotel and ask for pick up. Of course I will have the hotel phone number and if the shuttle does not turn up in a reasonable time then I will ring. But just knowing that the shuttles run on a loop and will be at a specific pick up area no matter what time my flight lands and that the hotel is only down the road is such a relief after travelling transatlantic.
I need the same three car services around LAX/ Universal/ Anaheim in January. I will try the company you have mentioned later.

Train journey sounds great, I like a long train journey, so long as it has a bed. I would never have guessed it would be 35 hours from Seattle to LA though.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Time for another update

I have finally renewed my ESTA. My previous one ran out in June 2020 and I didnt want to renew until the travel ban was removed. Doing the ESTA has always been part of my trip planning and I didn't want to do it until I knew exactly when I would be returning to USA.

I have also now booked my car services for my January trip. I need 3 journeys, from LAX to Universal, from Universal to Anaheim and then Anaheim to LAX. I decided to use Midwilshuttle, as recommended by Disboard members. I got the three quotes, which are in my budget range and I like the fact that the fare can be paid by cash or card to the driver.. The car services are far more than I used to pay with Supershuttle shared van, but there is nothing I can do about that, I just have to budget more for transport.

As if planning for my January trip to California was not enough, I have also started planning for my June California trip. I wasnt going to plan and book things this early but I got an email from Aer Lingus about about the direct Dublin to LAX returning and a special offer deal if booked before November 9.

For June I decided to do something a bit different. In previous years I have done a 3 location trip, visiting New Orleans one year and San Francisco another year. For June 2022 I have decided to visit Seattle. I have booked Dublin to JFK and LAX to Dublin with Aer Lingus and JFK to Seattle with Delta.

To get from Seattle to LA I have booked Amtrak train, in a sleeper room. The journey time is approx 35 hours and will pass through 3 states, Washington, Oregon and California. The private roomette price includes lunch and dinner on the first day and breakfast, lunch and dinner on the second day. All meals are cooked onboard, similar to business class on a plane and can be eaten in the dining car or room service.

I have been watching lots of YouTube videos and travelling by train, especially on the sleeper trains in a private room is a safe and fun way to travel in USA when you don't have a car.
\
Sounds exciting - especially the train part . I have only used the train from LA to Sand Diego - the coaster service. It is very slow but you want that to take in the views - mine was a day journey but sat upstairs and yes got dines and very wined hic ! Cant wait to hear about yours from Seattle (I have flown there before then hopped down to CA but you journey sounds more fun)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
\
Sounds exciting - especially the train part . I have only used the train from LA to Sand Diego - the coaster service. It is very slow but you want that to take in the views - mine was a day journey but sat upstairs and yes got dines and very wined hic ! Cant wait to hear about yours from Seattle (I have flown there before then hopped down to CA but you journey sounds more fun)
The roomette I have booked is on the upper floor and there is also an observation carriage with windows on part of the ceiling. It will be amazing to start in Seattle and go from the forests and mountains to the Pacific Coast.
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

The roomette I have booked is on the upper floor and there is also an observation carriage with windows on part of the ceiling. It will be amazing to start in Seattle and go from the forests and mountains to the Pacific Coast.
The observation carriage - even on my relatively short trip; was amazing. There was only me using it (I guess locals had seen it all before and let the crazy Brit scream in delight alone )
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Time for another update

This sounds amazing!
I’m going to Seattle in June & added SF on to! Flying into one home from the other! I can’t wait as it’s been on my bucketlist for years and had 3 cancelled trips in this last 19 months!
What date will you be in Seattle & where are you staying?
We’re in hotel max in downtown!

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
This sounds amazing!
I’m going to Seattle in June & added SF on to! Flying into one home from the other! I can’t wait as it’s been on my bucketlist for years and had 3 cancelled trips in this last 19 months!
What date will you be in Seattle & where are you staying?
We’re in hotel max in downtown!
oh wow, you will also be in Seattle in June I will be there the end of June, I will just have one full day in the city. Monday 20th June. I havent booked a hotel yet, I need to do a bit more research. I am thinking about doing a walking tour as I have such a short time there.