Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Jul 14, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Disney with the Dufflers - Day 0 - The Day Before

Okay, so after ten years of waiting, one and a half years of planning, ADR reservations at 180 days, Fastpass reservations at 60 days, online check in a week before and the best fourteen days of my life, I am finally ready to report on our amazing trip to Florida from the 2nd July 2014 until the 16th July 2014.

For those who have read my pre-trip report, you will know that this holiday was very special for us. It’s always amazing when you return to Florida with those you love, but even more so when your travelling companions are some of the most wonderful people you know and when they deserve this holiday more than anyone else you know.

Introducing our cast for the second time...

Me (27) – principal holiday planner - the redhead
Neil (27) – my fiancé - the bespectacled redhead - This is our first trip to Walt Disney World together so was very special for me. I’d always wanted to go to my favourite place on Earth with someone I love. We went to Disneyland in 2012 as part of our California trip but this was so different. In the best possible way
Mum (Mutti) - pretty obvious
Martin (Martyyyy) - smiley Step-Dad
Oliver (OB) - 6 foot and a gas lamp 'little' brother
Katie (sister – nickname of Trev) - the blonde who looks like me
Jonathan (sister’s boyfriend of two and a half years) - always with Katie!

And introducing, the Duffy family... (nickname: Dufflers)

Uncle Mark - always looks like he's saying 'egg' on pictures
Auntie Debsy - smiley blonde lady
Sam - one who always looks terrified on rides
Megan - the beautiful brunette!

This trip is the first holiday the Duffys have been on in ten years. From my pre-trip report, you may also recall that the last time the Dufflers went on holiday was to Disney, ten years ago to the day since the 2nd July. Freaky or what?

In this trip report, I hope to include the highs, the lows, the laughs and the downright ridiculous things we did on this holiday. But most of all, I hope to capture the fun and emotion we all felt at being in the most magical place on Earth, together, at this point in our lives.

Day 0 – The Day Before

I like the day before I go on holiday to be as stress free as possible. I’m a planner (naturally) and like to keep things simple. When we went in 2011, it stressed me out that dear old sis was in London and had a very long train journey to make the day before we went on holiday.

I had been packed for a month (naturally) and had finally coerced Neil into getting his own suitcase down a week or so before we went. Neil had insisted that he should pack in the few days running up to departure day. Days before?!? Thought I. Far too last minute. It was secretly packed as soon as his case was down. With hindsight, this was the best thing I could have done.

You see, two weeks before we were due to go, I got a job interview at Newcastle University for a teaching position. Newcastle wasn’t exactly ideal as it was so far away from where we live and I hadn’t really thought about the logistics of how it would work for Neil and I should I get the job but given that permanent positions in the world of lecturing are hard to come by, you have to take what you can when you can get it. So I did. There was one problem: the interview was on the 1st July. The day before we were due to go to Florida.

But I had to go for it, because what if?

So that is why I found myself on a train from Halifax to Newcastle at 6.47 on Tuesday 1st July. Instead of getting excited about Florida, I had to do a presentation on media culture. Instead of stewing over my outfit plan, I had to draft answers to ‘Where do you see yourself in five years time...?’ Walking up Main Street USA? Ooops, no, wrong answer. You can imagine the distractions!

Anyway, two and a half hours later, here I was:

Did my presentation, had a bit of lunch, did my interview which was fairly painless. I was free and clear by 2.15pm. I rang my Mum to have a chat about how it had gone and to express my absolute relief that it was finally over and I could now get excited about the holiday! Hurrah!

I scuttled back through Newcastle city centre (how fricking huge is Newcastle? I nearly got lost trying to find the train station again, becoming my worst nightmare.) You can just imagine the headline: ten years of planning wasted as Disney fan gets stranded in Newcastle. Okay, I am exaggerating, but you get the gist.

Anyways, I digress, I called in at M&S and got myself a cheeky G&T, and noticed loads more wonderful stuff on the journey back. Like how cool the ride out of Newcastle is and how beautiful Durham cathedral is.

Anyway, in no time, I was back in Halifax being picked up by Neil. He was absolutely ecstatic to have finished work for nearly three weeks. However, Neil being Neil, said that he wasn’t on holiday yet, we still had to get there! Dammit man, we all thought, can’t you get a little bit excited yet?

A holiday tradition is that we all go to Da Sandros, our favourite Italian restaurant near home, the night before we go on holiday. It all gets us in the mood for fourteen nights of amazing food and drink and is a lovely pre-holiday celebration.

That day was Neil’s Mum’s birthday so we invited them to come up with us and paid for them as a treat for all they had done for us. (We’re currently living at their house while we save for a deposit for a house of our own)

I don’t have any pictures of Da Sandros (I assure you I’m very thorough throughout the rest of the holiday)

What I can tell you is that Mum and Debsy had a bottle of pink fizz open when we walked through the doors. We had all finished work and leaving our troubles behind for two whole weeks.

Day 1 - Travel Day and Arrival at CBR is here

Edited at 04:41 PM.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulabelle18
slightly serious Dibber

Ooh this is gonna be good! Read your trippie title as Disney with the Duffers haha
Loulabelle18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
CuriousAlice
slightly serious Dibber

Talk about a stressful pre travel day! A well deserved G&T and pink fizz methinks. Glad you enjoyed the quick trip up north though. I am lucky enough to work in Durham and its a fab place. (You missed the best view of Newcastle out of the other side of the window) Look forward to following the rest of your trip
CuriousAlice is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Great start.I hope you got the job.We love Newcastle.
Claire
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillz121
Apprentice Imagineer

Gillz121's Reviews
Been looking forward to this Tracey! Good luck with the job
Gillz121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
beck_loz
Imagineer

beck_loz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to reading more x
beck_loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
hope it's good news about the job
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Have just caught up with your pre-trippie and today ... wow what a family lol ... Will your Mum/aunt adopt me please

I don't know why but I thought your wedding was your next big trip ... silly me!

Looking forward to reading all about your holiday antics

Ali
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

Great day before hand although I don't think I would be as calm to be able to hold a job interview!

Dee
xx
Dan's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
WifeyB
slightly serious Dibber

Great start hope that you had good news about the job... I definitely wouldn't have been able to get through it with all that pre holiday excitement!
WifeyB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List