Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 Apr 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Being a bit Goofy

Was upgrading QSDP to DDP a mistake?

First timer who booked in the mad rush this morning for 2 weeks POFQ with a 6 and 3 year old. Paid 500 to upgrade to DDP but reading some posts around flexibility would I of been better to have stuck with QSDP and paid out of pocket? My thinking was the character meals but now wondering if it was a bad move!
Old 25 Apr 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I loved the character meals for my 2 when they were younger. We have done the ddp twice and my next will be qsdp. This is only because they are older. It can feel like you are tied to reservations but with planning it's ok. I had lots of character breakfasts. I included CRT which is 2 credits but well worth it for the experience of eating in the castle. I think your kids will love it
Old 25 Apr 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickey's Magic
Excited about Disney

Mickey's Magic's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Ld1978 View Post
First timer who booked in the mad rush this morning for 2 weeks POFQ with a 6 and 3 year old. Paid 500 to upgrade to DDP but reading some posts around flexibility would I of been better to have stuck with QSDP and paid out of pocket? My thinking was the character meals but now wondering if it was a bad move!
We paid for the upgrade to full dining last time but with two little one's we will probably stick with the QS for flexibility and book a couple of TS separately.

DLP: 1997 (Cheyenne), 2013 (Offsite; Dream Castle), 2017 (Newport Bay), 2019 (Sequoia Lodge)
Mickey's Magic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

We paid $150 at Trattoria al Forno Bon Voyage Breakfast, $120 at Tusker, $120 (I think?) at 1900 Park Fare as three adults (our daughter was 11, so adult in Disney years) last August... so for a family of four, using credits, it'll only take three, maybe four meals at those sort of prices to make the upgrade worth it.

We were staying 21 nights, so would've cost us more to upgrade, hence happy to pay OoP.

Bear in mind, the gratuity *isn't* covered by the plan.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

It is a good move...

Book your sit down character meals / TS meals for midday... Get the kids up early and get to the parks and get a lot done early on and then go for a sit down meal at lunchtime and take a break just as the park starts getting really really busy. Then afterwards you can decide if you have the energy to carry on or head home.

Also because you will be seeing characters at your meal times less need to queue up and see them in the park.

Just get organised and by 180 days make sure you know which parks you want to go to on which days and have your list of resturants ready to book. Planning is key

Enjoy
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Personally I think character meals are one of the best uses of TS credits vs paying out of pocket, so if you are planning to do more than one or two you should be getting your money's worth.
If we do end up keeping the moderate that I am likely to book tomorrow, we will certainly be upgrading (children will be 4 and 6).

The one thing to bare in mind is that DDP does not include tips, and they mount up very quickly.

I think 4 character meals will have you close to the upgrade price, if you decide you don't want to eat in TS restaurants on all other nights I am fairly sure you can still use a TS credit in a QS.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

No not at all, we love the TS meals and it is completely part of our holiday having a sit down meal every night. I think your 6 & 3 year old's will love all the character dining options and it saves having to queue in the parks for them.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Having been one of those who commented on the lack of flexibility, whilst I found it a bit of a pain last year we “targeted” character meals and our 4 year old )at the time) loved it. You get great value doing the character meals but I probably wouldn’t bother getting the DDP again I’d just do the couple of TS/character meals we really want. However I’m glad I did it!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

I love the DDP - you get to try such a wide variety of places that you don't have access to on the QSDP.

Also booking a table service meal forces you to take a break and rest. It's so easy to be on the go all of the time but believe me, you need that nice sit down to rest your feet each day as it is tiring.
Old 25 Apr 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Some of our best memories from taking dd(6) are the character meals - I did feel a little tied to the reservations but there are definitely ways around it as people have suggested... things like hoop de doo and crt are great with kids and use up 2 TS so you don’t necessarily have to do one every day. It’s booked now so just enjoy reading lots of food reports and think of all that lovely food you get to have