Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 26 Jun 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Getting WiFi in the garden ?

So I am the least technical person I know.
So please answer in the most basic of ways 😀

I have sky Superfast broadband . I am working from home and would like to be able to work in the back garden but can’t get any WiFi there

So the router is in the front room .
It’s there because that’s where my son plays his xbox and we relented to moving the router from the lounge ( back room ) to get him better playing experience

Now the conservatory on the back really struggles to get WiFi signal and there is no chance in the back garden

What are my options ? It would be great if you could link to say specific products from say amazon so that I know exactly what you mean

I would prefer just to buy whatever kit is needed as one one off rather than having to pay an increased monthly broadband fee if that possible

Thank you for any help

Edit . I don’t have a huge garden . Maybe 40 foot in total so maybe 65 foot from where the router currently is
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 10:32 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I had issues in my loft conversion getting a good wifi signal as the router is 2 floors down. I bought the following and not had a problem since.

Before I bought this, youtube vids would keep freezing and I couldn't watch my cctv in my loft on my ipad without having issues.

One unit plugs into a mains socket and it comes with an Ethernet cable to plug into your router and the other plugs into any socket where you want a good wifi signal (such as my loft). It works by sending the wifi signal through the mains power cables from the unit plugged into your router to the receiving wifi unit. It really is so simple to connect it takes seconds.

If you want a good wifi signal 150' away at the bottom of your garden and you don't have an electrical socket there, then it won't work great as you have to be in a reasonable range of it.

Edited at 10:30 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
holidayforever
Serious Dibber

I can get WiFi fine in my garden can even sit in the Motorhome that’s in the garden and still get WiFi my router is also in front room , my daughter has been working from home in her garden , but we are both with Virgin . Lidl’s had WiFi booster’s a couple of weeks ago for £14.99p might still have some .
holidayforever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by holidayforever View Post
I can get WiFi fine in my garden can even sit in the Motorhome that’s in the garden and still get WiFi my router is also in front room , my daughter has been working from home in her garden , but we are both with Virgin . Lidl’s had WiFi booster’s a couple of weeks ago for £14.99p might still have some .
I have tried 2 wifi boosters (I'm also with virgin), and although a slight improvement with them both, neither were as good as the ones I now use and recommend (the boosters didn't give me a good enough wifi signal).

Boosters must work in some situations (or people wouldn't buy them), but they just didn't work for my problem.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post

amazon/TL-WA850RE-...c=1&th=1&psc=1

it just boosts your signal, so plugs in between the router and the garden, if you get 1 bar in the conservatory, plug this in and you will get full signal , if you dont get one bar, just move it to a slightly closer ( to the router ) socket
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I had issues in my loft conversion getting a good wifi signal as the router is 2 floors down. I bought the following and not had a problem since.

Before I bought this, youtube vids would keep freezing and I couldn't watch my cctv in my loft on my ipad without having issues.

One unit plugs into a mains socket and it comes with an Ethernet cable to plug into your router and the other plugs into any socket where you want a good wifi signal (such as my loft). It works by sending the wifi signal through the mains power cables from the unit plugged into your router to the receiving wifi unit. It really is so simple to connect it takes seconds.

If you want a good wifi signal 150' away at the bottom of your garden and you don't have an electrical socket there, then it won't work great as you have to be in a reasonable range of it.

We have the Virgin powerline adaptors and they're brilliant. Got them for free with our package, but definitely would have paid for them. We don't live in a huge house by any means (mid terraced) but have had extensions on the front and back. The whole house and 45ft garden are well covered now.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

You mean sky super slow? 😉 never known WiFi as patchy as sky.
The boosters work really well though
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thanks for the advice guys

So am I right in thinking there are two options ?
- MH suggestion of a power line adapter
- or a WiFi booster

So if I am getting it getting it right , the adapter choice relies on mains wiring to effectively work like I have a 2nd router at my 2nd plug socket , and will work even if currently ( no pun intended) I don’t get a signal near to where I would plug in my adapter ( back of conservatory ) ?
That claims 300 metre capability but as my router struggles to do 20-25 metres that would be done improvement - I would only need max 30 foot from the back of the conservatory ( where I would plug in the adapter) to the back of the garden ?
In theory could I plug the adapter on an extension reel so a socket would be bear the back of the garden ?

Whereas the booster relies on a WiFi signal - so if I get no signal in my conservatory, then it would only be pluggable in in my lounge and hence may boost the signal in my conservatory but may not reach the back of the garden ?

Incidentally I get about 35 mbps near the router , the lounger can be 15-35 , the conservatory 0-10 but I actually do ok in the loft - it gets 30-35 up here . The signal seems to move better vertically than horizontally
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 11:20 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Whereas the booster relies on a WiFi signal - so if I get no signal in my conservatory, then it would only be pluggable in in my lounge and hence may boost the signal in my conservatory but may not reach the back of the garden ?

Incidentally I get about 35 mbps near the router , the lounger can be 15-35 , the conservatory 0-10 but I actually do ok in the loft - it gets 30-35 up here . The signal seems to move better vertically than horizontally
yes, you could buy 2, plug one in the lounge, bounce that to the conservatory, so that will push it to the garden

Yes think of the wifi signal as a mushroom shape, if goes up and then spreads
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post

We have these. Really good.

Put your rooter back where it worked and get these for the Xbox
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List