Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 16 Jul 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Many people pay extortionate amounts to visit Cornwall and subsist there for the duration of any vacation.

It is a wonderful place to live (if you have a job with a National, rather than Cornish pay packet). I have Canoes, Cycles etc at home and can use them whenever the weather invites me to... and therein lies the problem. I cannot remember a time between April and September when there was 2 weeks of great, do things outdoors weather. The weather down here is patchy, often damp, generally mild and very, very unpredictable. If you were to visit for a fortnight in August, then I would be surprised if you got 6 x Beach Days. To balance that, I would add that there are many other things to do in Cornwall as I alluded to in a couple of very recent posts.

If I didn’t live here, would I vacation here? Yes, but only once or twice in order to see things, rather than with any expectation of a Beach vacation.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m feeling down about the weather at the moment as DH is starting his two week summer shutdown and we should be flying out to Athens in a few days so I’m feeling very sad. We’ve got some day trips planned but it’s not the same and I’m not very enthusiastic

However, that’s just because of the circumstances this year. We have in the past had some fantastic holidays in the UK, mainly in our touring caravan but also in static vans, hotels and cottages. There’s such a wide variety of areas to explore and things to see here. We have lots of great memories of taking our children away here. We visited Snowdonia in a cottage for a week in July 2 years ago, the weather was awful despite the rest of the summer being beautiful, but we still had a wonderful time as there’s so much to see and do there.

We are very fortunate that we can afford to go overseas and explore other places, not everyone has that option, so for some it’s not even a choice where they spend their hard earned cash they spend it in the UK and enjoy it whatever the weather. I know I’ve loved the times with my family when we couldn’t afford to go further than our nearest caravan site and make our own sandwiches to eat on the beach as much as the fanciest hotels I’ve been to. A holiday is as much about the time together as the location for me
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

If the weather is the deciding factor on when/where you go on holiday then good luck... You can't guarantee the weather anywhere these days... You're always going to need an umbrella or a kagoul...!
A holiday (UK or elsewhere) isn't about the weather for me, have never liked a pure beach holiday - I can't sit still long enough! I like to be out and about, walking, cycling, driving to far off places that are interesting.
If it rains, it rains... The important point is - I'm not at work!
Old 16 Jul 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

We've just had a week at the coast, yes it rained but we still enjoyed it, wanted to get away seen as we've lost Florida this year and Lanzarote, hopefully get Lanzarote in October 🤞 a holiday is what you make it, rain or shine. 😁

Edited at 09:48 AM.
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We spent a very wet week in Cornwall last October , it was dire .
We did have a good time when we had a break from the rain but I couldn’t do that as my main holiday every year even though I love cornwall
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Well we've packed the camper up and sodding off to Somerset tomorrow for the weekend. The weather looked good when I booked it on Monday and has gone downhill ever since. So thats telling me they're not sure on the weather. We will still be in shorts and flip flops but also take rain coat and hoodie. Oh well, 3 holidays abroad lost this year but I'm quite looking forward to Somerset 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
Well we've packed the camper up and sodding off to Somerset tomorrow for the weekend. The weather looked good when I booked it on Monday and has gone downhill ever since. So thats telling me they're not sure on the weather. We will still be in shorts and flip flops but also take rain coat and hoodie. Oh well, 3 holidays abroad lost this year but I'm quite looking forward to Somerset 😊
Hoping that you have a great time. Somerset can be lovely.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Now we can get into ours, we are preparing it for our trip to Mumbles and the Gower.
As a wise person stated "there is no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing"
Ds still remembers the day we ran up and down Brent Knoll in the rain. We had flip flops on as it was decent when we left. He thought it was brilliant fun!
Old 16 Jul 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It's strange but if I holiday in this country I never expect the weather to be good just embrace it and enjoy getting out and about
If I go abroad though and have bad weather I'd probably feel a bit cheated as I expect the weather to be good if sunshine is the usual weather for that place. It's a bit like going to Florida in the summer you expect that you will get rain at some point throughout the day and have to plan your days round that
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes weather is pretty much a be all and end all for us. I know we miss out on things.
Ski ing..not for us brrrr 😂
Alaska, Norway, New Zealand cruises, nope.
UK (other than weekends) boredom and bad weather
Florida, Benidorm, Benalmadena.That'll do us.

(Each to our own!)😂😂 told you I'm grumpy today
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List