Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Sep 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PumpkinCupcake View Post
We’re on our way to the airport right now! I’m a bundle of emotions haha. Anything I should know or be aware of!? Or any suggestions on what we should do whilst there?
You'll have the best time! We truly had one of the most amazing holidays we've ever had.

Apparantly Naples airport insists you now wear a medical-type mask not a cloth one (as we got told by the TUI rep literally the night before we were leaving to go home), but there were loads of people wearing cloth ones and nobody seemed to care.

The 3 main things we did were:

Pompeii/Vesuvius combined tour booked with TUI. This was brilliant! The guided tour around Pompeii is so worth it. I wouldn't have had a clue what to do there without it. It included lunch (which was at a rubbish restaurant).

Amalfi/Positano boat tour. This was great, but I think had too long in Amalfi and not enough time in Positano. Positano was nicer than Amalfi. This we just booked ourselves. It was a good tour, but very full. That didn't bother me at all but might bother some. TUI run their tours at 60% capacity at their moment, in contrast.

Private boat tour to Capri/Blue Grotto. This was the highlight of the trip. Expensive but amazing. We did it for DDs birthday.

Other than that we just spent time wandering around Sorrento. Foreigner's for lunch is a must!

On the whole I didn't find it as expensive as I was expecting, actually.
Old 2 Sep 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
You'll have the best time! We truly had one of the most amazing holidays we've ever had.

Apparantly Naples airport insists you now wear a medical-type mask not a cloth one (as we got told by the TUI rep literally the night before we were leaving to go home), but there were loads of people wearing cloth ones and nobody seemed to care.

The 3 main things we did were:

Pompeii/Vesuvius combined tour booked with TUI. This was brilliant! The guided tour around Pompeii is so worth it. I wouldn't have had a clue what to do there without it. It included lunch (which was at a rubbish restaurant).

Amalfi/Positano boat tour. This was great, but I think had too long in Amalfi and not enough time in Positano. Positano was nicer than Amalfi. This we just booked ourselves. It was a good tour, but very full. That didn't bother me at all but might bother some. TUI run their tours at 60% capacity at their moment, in contrast.

Private boat tour to Capri/Blue Grotto. This was the highlight of the trip. Expensive but amazing. We did it for DDs birthday.

Other than that we just spent time wandering around Sorrento. Foreigner's for lunch is a must!

On the whole I didn't find it as expensive as I was expecting, actually.
Sounds great! Did you book all those before you went, or when you got there? We haven’t booked anything, but hope to do Pompeii and Amalfi. I had thought about Positano as well, and based on what you’ve said I think we’ll make an effort to try and get there.

We’ve brought both types of masks as I had actually read the same. I have a cotton one which is much more comfortable that in hoping to wear most of today, but have the medical ones if needs be!
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

[QUOTE=PumpkinCupcake;14633162]Sounds great! Did you book all those before you went, or when you got there? We haven’t booked anything, but hope to do Pompeii and Amalfi. I had thought about Positano as well, and based on what you’ve said I think we’ll make an effort to try and get there.

We went to Sorrento 3 years ago, we did lots of trips, Pompeii, Herculeum, amalfi with positano, Naples, vesuvius, all of the trips apart from Vesuvious and amalfi were done off our own back using the train - very cheap and reliable service, and paying on the gate. The Vesuvius trip was booked at the station at pompeii, we then had to return there by train to catch the bus us to the volcano. Amalfi was booked at a tourist shop near Sorrento station (there is a hop on hop off bus that goes to amalfi also from near the station if you prefer). We also thought it was one of our best non Disney trips
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PumpkinCupcake View Post
Sounds great! Did you book all those before you went, or when you got there? We haven’t booked anything, but hope to do Pompeii and Amalfi. I had thought about Positano as well, and based on what you’ve said I think we’ll make an effort to try and get there.

We’ve brought both types of masks as I had actually read the same. I have a cotton one which is much more comfortable that in hoping to wear most of today, but have the medical ones if needs be!
We booked the Capri boat the day before we went and booked the other two whilst we were there.

I believe Pompei is very restricted in terms of tickets now so you can’t just pitch up. Also the TUI rep told us that public transport is meant to be essential use only still but I’m not sure if that’s true or not.

We booked online but there are plenty of places in Sorrento itself to book tours as well.
Old 2 Sep 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Neil I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. Especially the Capri part. I'm always a little bit terrified of recommending places in case people don't enjoy them the way we did.

Positano is so pretty isn't it? We drove there at night from Pian Di Sorrento. Just so pretty with all the lights on.

We were lucky when we last went to Pompeii as our son was studying for his archaeology degree at the time. I was maybe a bit of a proud mum when he was coming out with snippets of info that we'd then hear a tour guide say.

Hope you'll be posting some photos for us.

Edited at 07:36 AM.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

We only did the Tui boat tour to Capri which was fab. Max of 12 on the boat and we had 10 on ours.
I also wasn’t sure about the independent travel and booking advice being correct and although the Tui trip was a bit more expensive it wasn’t hugely different to pricing up things separately.
I changed to a cotton mask in naples airport When I saw so many others with them as I find them much more comfortable
Princesses 3 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We were very similar to SAM 7. Our visit in 2017 was a TUI holiday.

We caught the ferry to Capri by turning up at the harbour.
We caught the bus from Sorrento to Positano by waiting at the bus stop.
We hired a RIB boat for the day from Sorrento Harbour a few days in advance, independently of TUI (180 € for 8 hours) and saw Capri, Positano, Amalfi and in addition, anchored up for a picnic and some swimming during a fabulous day..
We caught the Circumvesuvia train to Pompeii, having researched and talked a very simple guide book with us (Pompeii reconstructed).
We caught the Circumvesuvia train to Herculaneum
We caught the Circumvesuvia train to the Naples archeological Museum.
We caught Circumvesuvia and then Frecciarossa trains to Rome in order to have a 3 day vacation within the vacation.. returning the same way.

We did an evening walk around Sorrento and limoncello tasting that we booked through TUI on our first evening in order to get our bearings. That was the only involvement that TUI had in our fabulous vacation other than flights, transfers and placement in an independent hotel. Everything that TUI we’re offering appeared to be far cheaper to do yourself, plus that independence meant that nothing was time sensitive and you could both begin and end any excursion at your own convenience.
I guess that with my USA multi centre and DIY preferences, We are simply not really cut out for package type holidays and wanted very little TA involvement, having researched extensively in advance. Different people do things in different ways and I like to play with my own ball!

Sorrento and general area? The best and most beautiful place that I have ever visited.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:00 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've been to Sorrento / Naples 3 times - but on cruise ships. Each time we've done the days independently using the hydrofoil to Capri and train to Sorrento, Pompeii etc.
This thread had inspired me to try to talk DH into a week there in early summer next year, so thanks for all the tips
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

We due to go to Sorrento next Sunday, just starting to believe it may happen

I plan to get a taxi to Positano, any idea of cost? We plan to send the day at the beach and the find somewhere to have late lunch.

We also want to do half day at Pompeii and boat trip to capri with grotto and time on the island. Any recommendations for tour co’s or should I speak to reception at the hotel? We’re not booked with TUI or can I still book their tours?
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
We due to go to Sorrento next Sunday, just starting to believe it may happen

I plan to get a taxi to Positano, any idea of cost? We plan to send the day at the beach and the find somewhere to have late lunch.

We also want to do half day at Pompeii and boat trip to capri with grotto and time on the island. Any recommendations for tour co’s or should I speak to reception at the hotel? We’re not booked with TUI or can I still book their tours?
Taxi to Positano would be quite expensive I think.

Could probably book TUI tours, Have a look on their website.

Have a look at the Sorrentoinsider website as well - that’s who we booked our boat with for Capri (the actual company was called
Restart Boat) as they have lots of tours. We used Antonio Cooperative for the Amalfi/Positano tour.