Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 22 Nov 17, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow! If anyone asked if you could do it on $50 a day for 2 I’d probably say no but you guys did it with some to spare! I don’t know if my sister and I could do it though. I could see us falling out over what meals to get if we were sharing!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 4
8/11/2017

Today was our last full day. Our plan was to get our shopping completed so we could pack our bags later.

Breakfast as before and then early magic hours at AK. Spent the morning at AK and had a few cups of water from Satuli canteen whilst waiting for our FOP fast pass. DH forgot his travel sickness bands so did feel a little queasy when he came off. Useful to know that at Satuli canteen they have a large water dispenser and cups in the outdoor covered seating area.

Returned to our hotel; as not able to get a direct bus to DS and collected our mugs and a bag to carry these. Filled up with fountain drinks and waited for a bus.

Having bought all our purchases we headed back to Blaze Pizza, as we had enjoyed this so much before.
Slight change in the order, we shared a base with tomato sauce and mozzarella then I added chicken, ham peppers and mushrooms this time. DH had Pepperoni, meatballs and ham. We ordered the roasted squash, pepper, quinoa and feta side salad, as previously, and 2 cups of water, $15.55 The salad was not quite as good as the previous one as there was less dressing but we thought the pizza was better so we still scored this 9/10. We finished our meal with a sample of mint Bark from Ghirardelli’s and purchased some to bring home.

Returned to our hotel to drop off shopping and start to pack our bags. Refilled our mugs on the way to the room.

We got to MK around 4. The crowds were quite large and lots of rides had wait times over 60 minutes. Even in the FP for Buzz we waited 15 minutes.
We headed over to Columbia Harbour house as it got dark. It was very busy but there was plenty of seating upstairs. We ordered the shrimp macaroni and cheese with a side of steamed vegetables which was green beans again, $16.17. There was plenty for 2. This mac and cheese had a much better flavour. The shrimp were large and not overcooked. Unfortunately, the beans were only warm rather than hot. We gave this 7.5/10

We queued for lots photo pass pictures with the Christmas lights and as they were doing a rehearsal for the MVMCP the following day were able to have photos of the castle with the Christmas lighting. We decided not to stay for the fireworks and headed back to the hotel. We finished the evening with drinks in our mugs and ate the spare cereal bars.

Total food spend $31.72

Fitbit 31142 steps, 13.33 miles, 25 stairs – our record for the holiday.

9/11/2017

We got up early finished our packing and ate the remaining cereal and fruit.
We put the suitcases into bell services and headed off to MK for EMH. After riding Peter Pan and IASW we headed for our last cinnamon bun. We also picked up 2 cups of water. We shared this as before. Was amazed at the number of people ordering these for preschool children and cant imagine they even made a dent in it. Of course perhaps the parents plan was to have to finish it!
Interesting we were charged a different amount today $ 5.79 and it still scored 9/10. For those that have not tried it; the inside has a gooey caramel type sauce as well as the cinnamon, and is covered in large amounts of white icing. This is the size of a small Hovis loaf and is served warm.

MK was less busy today and we managed quite a few rides as well as our fastpasses. We stopped for a Plaza sundae around 11.00. We shared and had our usual butter pecan and vanilla ice cream. $6.17 and another 9/10 from us

Before leaving MK we decided to have something to eat. We headed to Pinocchio Village Haus and ordered the Caprese flat bread and 2 cups of water. This was fine but the base was a little hard, it had a generous amount of mozzarella. It was very hot and needed time to cool down. It had balsamic dressing drizzled on the top which is not in the description, so if you don’t like this beware. This was $11.18 and scored 7.5/10.
We returned to our hotel to wait for the magical express and filled up our mugs.
Once at MCO we were through security and the choice of food available is limited at our gate. We had a large serving of chips from Burger king 5.5/10 and a bottle of water $5.08

Total spends $28.22

Fitbit 15337 steps, 6.54 miles, 12 stairs

Final thoughts

So our total food spends in Orlando for the 8 days was $ 296.36 which is $37.05/day

We could have had another meal and still stayed within our $50 budget but we did not feel we needed this.

We noticed that we were not always charged the same amount for our food; there were only variations of a few cents here and there. Our Caprese flatbread was charged at less than advertised on the menu. The muffins were 71 cents more expensive in the park than the resort.

This was our first time staying at a value resort. We would not hesitate to return if the price was right. We did find the food choices to be very limited and also not always what was advertised on the menu boards. Our DD who has to eat GF food would have struggled to find much to eat at the resort.

The refillable mug was well worth the cost, as we had at least 3-4 refills each day. We did notice that having water rather than fountain drinks in the park actually helped us to feel less bloated. I think this meant we enjoyed the food we did choose more.

Prior to this trip we have traveled mostly in August and also in June. We thought that the parks would be less busy. We did not account for the Marathon weekend or the fact that F&W finished on the weekend after we left which made Epcot so busy. I would agree with other people that there is not a quiet time of the year for Disney now. We have also never flown on a later flight, did not like arriving later and felt it wasted our travel day. This wouldn't be such a problem if we were staying longer. If the flight price was right I would do it but I prefer arriving in WDW in daylight

Thank you everyone who advised us prior to our visit and hopefully this will be useful for those who are working to a tight budget. Any savings we made were converted into extra treats to bring home. We had a brilliant time, our first holiday as just a couple in 23 years

Edited at 09:30 AM.
rosiebun3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

Wow. I would have been one of the naysayers but I'm happy to eat my words as $37 per day less than $20 per person is great going. Thanks for sharing all your tasty treats with us.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

Really enjoyed reading your report.👍
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Great report really enjoyed it. Love Blaze pizza.

Agree about water. We tried to mainly have water in August due to heat but bonus is cost saving and we felt better for it too. Was saving us $10 a meal at sit down meals for 3 of us. If you have a refill mug you are still having some fizzy pop.

Just ask for free iced water at any counter service, honestly no one thinks it is cheeky. Anywhere with a fizzy drink machine will do it. It is filtered and cold, the stuff they mix with syrup to make the coke etc. Disney and starbucks tend to give big cups with ice if you want.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Great report, thank you.
Old 26 Nov 17, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyF1rstT1me
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for your report, i've really enjoyed it. I'm going to keep an eye out for those cinnamon buns - they look delicious 😋. Can I ask, so they have any raisins/currants/sultan in them? Thanks
DisneyF1rstT1me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 17, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by DisneyF1rstT1me View Post
Thanks for your report, i've really enjoyed it. I'm going to keep an eye out for those cinnamon buns - they look delicious 😋. Can I ask, so they have any raisins/currants/sultan in them? Thanks
No fruit and they are warm so the sauce inside is quite runny. I know what I will be spending my snack credits on next September
Old 26 Nov 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Very Serious Dibber

Mmmm, great report, thank you. I like the look of Gaston's buns, will deffo be trying those!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by eleele View Post
Mmmm, great report, thank you. I like the look of Gaston's buns, will deffo be trying those!
Gaston's buns 😂. Yes I like the look of those too 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List