Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 9 Sep 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post

From Disney Deluxe Dining to a Dirty Burger. Our first ever Out of Pocket Trip Report.

We decided that after getting so much inspiration from other people’s food reports, we would try and do our own for this trip. The original plan was to make this a live-ish report, but this didn’t happen (we got no further than this post). We got back 10 days ago, so time to get this started whilst we can still remember how amazing (and occasionally terrible) the food tasted.

We are at Disney for 3 weeks and 2 days this time, which is the longest we have ever been by a long way. Obviously with being here this amount of time, we can try plenty of places to eat, but have to be mindful of budget. We like to eat offsite mainly, but have booked some meals at Disney including California Grill for our anniversary dinner.

So there’s a brief introduction, now let’s look at our cast.

Me, Carl. I love nothing more than a good burger, but am pretty adventurous with food since meeting Lisa. I tend to choose things on holiday that I wouldn’t normally order at home as much. I like most things and unlike many here on the Dibb, I love grits!

Lisa: My long suffering wife and the reason I am so adventurous with food. Lisa loves seafood, but we don’t tend to eat it much at home. Before you think we are a family of grits loving freaks, we are, Lisa also loves them (especially from Cracker Barrel).

Little Man: A 6 year old who says his favourite food is smoked salmon (I know, #firstworldproblems) but to be fair he also says lobster is his favourite, despite only ever eating it once. He eats most things and we have made sure he tries everything before saying he doesn’t like it. He cannot stand fizzy drinks and foods he does and doesn’t like changes depending on what the day it is and how tired he feels.

Where we will be eating.

We like to try different places all the time. Whilst we have a couple of Disney meals booked, we prefer mainly eating offsite due to expense. We are trying to budget for some cheap meals with a few extravagant ones thrown in. In terms of how we eat we tend to eat a large breakfast then a snack for lunch or when hungry, followed by dinner (or tea depending where you’re from). Places that we will most likely visit include:

Teak Neighbourhood Grill. A family favourite. We all love their burgers, but having seen their new brunch menu, we think we may try this out this time too.

California Grill. We booked this as a special for our anniversary. This is going to be the most expensive meal of the trip, but hey, it’s our wedding anniversary, we deserve a treat right?

Longhorns. Another family favourite. Good steak and decent prices. I still love their lobster Mac and cheese and hope this is still on the menu for this trip.

Cowfish. We love sushi and we love burgers. Heard some mixed things on this place, but keen to try it for ourselves.

Four Rivers BBQ. After a last minute trip on our final night last trip, we need to go back here. We went to the one in Winter Park, so will probably visit this one, although I know another has opened.

Hash House A Go Go. We got the Travelzoo voucher for here so will be paying a visit. Not sure whether it will be for breakfast or dinner yet.

We will get the full list up of where we ate soon. The idea is to get started to force us to complete it, otherwise the only use for the photos of the food we took will be to torture ourselves about how much we miss American food!

LINKS:

Pre Travel Day

Dinner at Premier Inn, Bath Road, Heathrow

TRAVEL DAY

Breakfast. The Curator, Heathrow Terminal 3.

Wendys, JFK Airport.

Dinner. The Fountain, The Dolphin Hotel.

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile

Count me in! I’m looking forward to hearing all about it

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This sounds great... looking forward to reading 😀
Old 9 Sep 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Looking forward to reading along!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Looking forward to this x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Looking forward to reading
gjdjud is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Wait, Teak do brunch now?

I’m off Google that immediately.

Looking forward to reading your report 👍🏻

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post

PRE TRAVEL DAY

DINNER AT PREMIER INN HEATHROW (BATH ROAD).

The plan was to get into the Premier Inn at Heathrow, then take an Uber to find somewhere to eat. However, the journey was long (and the taxi drivers constant chatter made it feel even longer), so we just decided to eat at The hotel.

I am a big believer in that if a place is looking to be average, order a burger. My theory (completely non-scientific) is that it is hard to mess up burger so badly that it is inedible. So, with this in mind I ordered the bacon and blue cheese burger with sweet potato fries. Lisa followed my lead and ordered a jerk chicken burger. We washed these down with a strawberry & lime cider (me) and white wine (Lisa & Me).

My theory worked! They were OK, nothing special, but they filled a hole and tasted fine. Little man had a kids buffet. This was great as there was lots of choice for him and we could get his plate whenever we wanted. He had a mix of chips, chicken nuggets, beans and pizza. He was really happy and really enjoyed it. It came with a dessert buffet too which meant he could fill himself up with sugar so that he would not be able to sleep (just what you need when you have to be up at 5AM). He had profiteroles (well Lisa & me may have also had one from him) but he described it as yummy.

My Bacon & Blue Cheese Burger

Lisa's Jerk Chicken Burger.

He started eating before we had chance to get a photo. Luckily for you, you get the action shot!

We both ordered desert Lisa ordered the brownie and I ordered a chocolate orange crownie (a brownie/cookie combination). Both of these were great. Not just fill a hole with sugar great, but really tasty I would eat here again for this desert good.

The Brownie. Surprisingly good!

My Chocolate Orange Crookie. This was simply amazing! So, so good.

The total was £62.39 which included a bottle of wine that Lisa & me shared as well as the cider.

Completely stuffed we retreated to the room to discover the extra toys Little man had packed in his bag when when we weren’t looking. We then proceeded to have a terrible nights sleep. It was so bad we actually complained and to be fair, Premier Inn did refund us. The bed was pretty awful, but what topped it off was the blood stain we discovered on the wall the next morning.

Next Stop: Heathrow Airport and Plane food!

Edited at 07:53 PM.
Old 11 Sep 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Blood stain on the wall 😬😬😬😬😬
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
Wait, Teak do brunch now?

I’m off Google that immediately.

Looking forward to reading your report 👍🏻
Spoiler alert, we didn't make it! It looks awesome though and is a definite for next time.