Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 7 Mar 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Now I am wondering if you are allowed to deposit points in holding into RCI

Does anyone know ?
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JoJoBell View Post
Now I am wondering if you are allowed to deposit points in holding into RCI

Does anyone know ?
I'm sure if you're told you're not allowed to travel either by the UK or US Governments or the airline cancels your flights then I would hope DVC would place your points back to where they came from and not into an holding account.

But if you decided to cancelled without there being any restrictions then yes, they will go into your holding account.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can deposit then into RCI and up to 2-years but I'm not sure and can only find the following on holding points. It also depends how you purchased your points, direct or through a broker and if a broker then possibly you can't use RCI.

Holding Account - Frequently Asked Questions.

Q What is a Holding Account?
A. A Holding Account is a "parking space" for Vacation Points from a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation that has been modified or canceled 30 days to 1 day before your scheduled Check-In date.

Sometimes a Member makes a change to a reservation 30 days to 1 day before the Check-In date using fewer Vacation Points than the original reservation. The Vacation Points’ difference goes into a Holding Account. Any change is considered a cancel and rebook.

Vacation Points in your Holding Account will be good until the end of your Use Year when they will expire. You can use them like you would your regular Vacation Points, except that reservations must be made within 60 days of your Check-In. Vacation Points in a Holding Account also cannot be banked or borrowed.

Here are some guidelines regarding usage of Holding Account Vacation Points.

These Vacation Points can be used for a new Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation during your current Use Year as long as the reservation is booked 60 or less days before the new Check-In date.

These Vacation Points can also be used for a new reservation during your current Use Year in 2 ways:

For the Disney Collection* (except Disneyland Resort in California and Tokyo Disney Resort hotels), or Concierge Collection*, you can make the reservation more than 4 months before the end of your Use Year for a Check-In date that is 60 or less days before the new Check-In date.

For Disney Collection reservations at Disneyland Resort in California and Tokyo Disney Resort hotels, or the World Collection, as long as the reservation is booked 60 or less days before the new Check-In date.
These Vacation Points cannot be banked or borrowed.
These Vacation Points must be used by the end of the Use Year or they expire.

If your plans change, the policies of Disney Vacation Club are accommodating: if you change or cancel a reservation at least 31 days before your Check-In date, you will incur no penalties. All your Vacation Points will be returned to your account.

Banked or borrowed Vacation Points are not returned to their original Use Year. They will remain as banked or borrowed Vacation Points and stay in the Use Year of the canceled reservation.

Q. Can I transfer the Vacation Points in my Holding Account?
A. Yes, Holding Account Vacation Points at Disney Vacation Club can be transferred.
However, Holding Account Vacation Points will remain in a Holding Account in the Membership into which they were transferred.

*Available when you purchase directly from Disney.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Br'er Bear View Post
I'm sure if you're told you're not allowed to travel either by the UK or US Governments or the airline cancels your flights then I would hope DVC would place your points back to where they came from and not into an holding account.

But if you decided to cancelled without there being any restrictions then yes, they will go into your holding account.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can deposit then into RCI and up to 2-years but I'm not sure and can only find the following on holding points. It also depends how you purchased your points, direct or through a broker and if a broker then possibly you can't use RCI.

Holding Account - Frequently Asked Questions.

Q What is a Holding Account?
A. A Holding Account is a "parking space" for Vacation Points from a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation that has been modified or canceled 30 days to 1 day before your scheduled Check-In date.

Sometimes a Member makes a change to a reservation 30 days to 1 day before the Check-In date using fewer Vacation Points than the original reservation. The Vacation Points’ difference goes into a Holding Account. Any change is considered a cancel and rebook.

Vacation Points in your Holding Account will be good until the end of your Use Year when they will expire. You can use them like you would your regular Vacation Points, except that reservations must be made within 60 days of your Check-In. Vacation Points in a Holding Account also cannot be banked or borrowed.

Here are some guidelines regarding usage of Holding Account Vacation Points.

These Vacation Points can be used for a new Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation during your current Use Year as long as the reservation is booked 60 or less days before the new Check-In date.

These Vacation Points can also be used for a new reservation during your current Use Year in 2 ways:

For the Disney Collection* (except Disneyland Resort in California and Tokyo Disney Resort hotels), or Concierge Collection*, you can make the reservation more than 4 months before the end of your Use Year for a Check-In date that is 60 or less days before the new Check-In date.

For Disney Collection reservations at Disneyland Resort in California and Tokyo Disney Resort hotels, or the World Collection, as long as the reservation is booked 60 or less days before the new Check-In date.
These Vacation Points cannot be banked or borrowed.
These Vacation Points must be used by the end of the Use Year or they expire.

If your plans change, the policies of Disney Vacation Club are accommodating: if you change or cancel a reservation at least 31 days before your Check-In date, you will incur no penalties. All your Vacation Points will be returned to your account.

Banked or borrowed Vacation Points are not returned to their original Use Year. They will remain as banked or borrowed Vacation Points and stay in the Use Year of the canceled reservation.

Q. Can I transfer the Vacation Points in my Holding Account?
A. Yes, Holding Account Vacation Points at Disney Vacation Club can be transferred.
However, Holding Account Vacation Points will remain in a Holding Account in the Membership into which they were transferred.

*Available when you purchase directly from Disney.
Thank you

We have no intention of cancelling unless we are told we cannot travel

It would be great if Disney put the points back into our account but I can’t see them doing that for everyone in all honesty

We bought Direct from Disney but not sure if that does put us in a better position or not

Fingers crossed the situation won’t arise
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JoJoBell View Post
Thank you

We have no intention of cancelling unless we are told we cannot travel

It would be great if Disney put the points back into our account but I can’t see them doing that for everyone in all honesty

We bought Direct from Disney but not sure if that does put us in a better position or not

Fingers crossed the situation won’t arise
Buying direct makes no difference.

Personally I believe if they shut WDW they may not make any exceptions on the points- there would be too many carrier over etc- would potentially cripple the system.
Old 7 Mar 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Buying direct makes no difference.

Personally I believe if they shut WDW they may not make any exceptions on the points- there would be too many carrier over etc- would potentially cripple the system.
My thoughts too. It would be near impossible to make bookings for a later date
Old 8 Mar 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’ve got a trip planned for July/Aug and another for October, using 2019 and some 2020 points.

I’d be gutted if I lost them but it won’t be the end of the world.

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

We are off next month. I phoned MS a few days ago to find out what would happen if flights were cancelled. They had nothing planned but said every case would be sympathetically looked at especially for international visitors.
Old 8 Mar 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sara_toga View Post
We are off next month. I phoned MS a few days ago to find out what would happen if flights were cancelled. They had nothing planned but said every case would be sympathetically looked at especially for international visitors.
I hope you are right- I just think if the whole lot is shut down and they allow everyone to keep points, bank points etc, the whole system will grind to a halt with too many points in it. So I think if it gets so bad, they will just enforce the usual rules- no fault on them but they will have no choice. I am sure they will be mindful though that if owners lose a lot of points and kick up a stink, it will not do the timeshare business any good, even if its in no way their fault.
Old 8 Mar 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Good article here, worth a read for all DVC owners not totally aware of the cancellation, banking and holding rules:

dvcnews/index.php/dvc-pr...-on-dvc-owners
Thank you.
Good to know.

I hope it doesn't come to that. I am kicking myself for not going last summer. DH must be psychic. Urging me to go, saying he had a bad feeling about this year?

Fingers crossed this 'pans out' but it seems to be increasing rather than abating and thats a worry.

stay safe everyone.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
Thank you.
Good to know.

I hope it doesn't come to that. I am kicking myself for not going last summer. DH must be psychic. Urging me to go, saying he had a bad feeling about this year?

Fingers crossed this 'pans out' but it seems to be increasing rather than abating and thats a worry.

stay safe everyone.
The modeling is it shoots up over Easter, the. Declines in July. You are going day before me, so that’s two of us with fingers crossed. I have spent months planning a coast to coast trip and also got Grand Californian. First world problems.