Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Mar 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Receiving religious text messages

Someone we know (I won't say more than that - not family) keeps sending me religious messages via texts. I used to get the odd text message from them, but since the coronavirus outbreak, the amount of messages has really increased. I am not usually shy to tell people to stop sending me nonsense texts, but because the person concerned is elderly and would likely be offended, I am being polite, but I don't even reply to their messages (they don't get the hint).

I guess if their religion keeps them happy at this difficult time and they believe there is a paradise waiting for them (and apparently for me if I want to join their cult), then good luck to them, but it more makes me realise why I'm an atheist.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Someone we know (I won't say more than that - not family) keeps sending me religious messages via texts. I used to get the odd text message from them, but since the coronavirus outbreak, the amount of messages has really increased. I am not usually shy to tell people to stop sending me nonsense texts, but because the person concerned is elderly and would likely be offended, I am being polite, but I don't even reply to their messages (they don't get the hint).

I guess if their religion keeps them happy at this difficult time and they believe there is a paradise waiting for them (and apparently for me if I want to join their cult), then good luck to them, but it more makes me realise why I'm an atheist.
MH you are very polite. I think I would politely ask them to please not send them but just ignore is probably best, it clearly fulfils a need in the sender.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
MH you are very polite. I think I would politely ask them to please not send them but just ignore is probably best, it clearly fulfils a need in the sender.
They are frankly trying to convert me to join their cult, but they have more hope of me going to Disneyworld today
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Easy answer.

Select the sender - click on Block.

Job done.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

FWIW, Mickey House, I think you are doing the right thing. The person sending the messages is elderly and believes they are doing what they can in scary times by sending the messages. Just accept them as a gesture meant in kindness; you are free to ignore / delete, but why would anyone deliberately upset an elderly person who means well?
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edna Cloud View Post
FWIW, Mickey House, I think you are doing the right thing. The person sending the messages is elderly and believes they are doing what they can in scary times by sending the messages. Just accept them as a gesture meant in kindness; you are free to ignore / delete, but why would anyone deliberately upset an elderly person who means well?
I tend to agree with you, and that's why I haven't said anything. I would get the hint if someone wasn't replying to my text messages and stop sending them, but clearly they aren't deterred
Old 22 Mar 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
They are probably just choosing 'send to all contacts' i.e. not singling you out. If they are personal and sent to just you, they clearly think you are vulnerable. If that was the case I would have no problem asking them to stop.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
rosetom
slightly serious Dibber

rosetom's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post

Hi Micky ,I understand your gripe,but even at these desperate times people will turn to God
rosetom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rosetom View Post
Hi Micky ,I understand your gripe,but even at these desperate times people will turn to God
It's not something that would upset me, but just a complete waste of time, that is unless a supernatural power comes down and presents itself to me and resolves the current situation and all the other unnecessary deaths and suffering in the world (I won't say 'he' as it could be gender neutral).

I don't think many people that know me would put me in the 'vulnerable' camp (I might be wrong).

Edited at 12:51 PM.
Old 22 Mar 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I think I’d just allow it too and accept the prayers as positive thoughts for you. I’ve no interest in religion myself but I can see why an elderly person would want solace at this time.

On a similar note, I have an uncle who started sending me rude jokes via text. I had to ask my dad to tell him to stop as it was so awkward.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List