Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Mar 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Cleaning painting tools

Do you all clean your rollers, trays & paint brushes after using them so you can re use them?

I was speaking to a friend about what we have been doing & I had painted my sons room & was saying how cleaning everything afterwards can sometimes take as long as painting the walls, they said they throw everything away & buy new each time as everything is so cheap now,

What do dibbers do?
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Clean everything. I would say though I buy good gear so to throw it away would be criminal. For example Hamilton etc

I am still using a roller tray and frame from 1981 and it’s still clean!

Non emulsion paint brushes soak for 2 days in white spirit then wipe on a rag and use loads of Fairy under a running tap. Dry nicely and good to go again.

Buy cheap tools and get a poor finish sadly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I also wash everything when used as we also buy good quality brushes and rollers. I line my paint roller tray with tin foil though and then just throw that out as it saves on water having to wash it out.
Gingerlife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

If the job is going to take more than one day I wrap the tray with roller and any brushes in a plastic carrier bag so it doesn't dry out and then just use it the next day. I then clean emulsion with dairy liquid and water until it runs clear and I also then put some hair conditioner or fabric softener on brushes and the roller and then rinse. Not sure why but it seems to help keep them nice for next time.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
If the job is going to take more than one day I wrap the tray with roller and any brushes in a plastic carrier bag so it doesn't dry out and then just use it the next day. I then clean emulsion with dairy liquid and water until it runs clear and I also then put some hair conditioner or fabric softener on brushes and the roller and then rinse. Not sure why but it seems to help keep them nice for next time.

It's the new word for milk ... dairy liquid🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Clean everything. I would say though I buy good gear so to throw it away would be criminal. For example Hamilton etc

I am still using a roller tray and frame from 1981 and it’s still clean!

Non emulsion paint brushes soak for 2 days in white spirit then wipe on a rag and use loads of Fairy under a running tap. Dry nicely and good to go again.

Buy cheap tools and get a poor finish sadly.
I agree! My roller tray is 20 years old & cleans no bother, I have dulux brushes & they have lasted years, did have to buy new rollers recently but the handles are as old as the tray! 😂
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

I line tray with cling film to reduce cleaning. Brushes I clean with Fairy Liquid.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by caj View Post
It's the new word for milk ... dairy liquid🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
😂😂😂😂😂

That's what I get for not re reading what I have put!
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Pookie3101 View Post
I line tray with cling film to reduce cleaning. Brushes I clean with Fairy Liquid.
I’ll use that tip next time I paint!
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1
gforce_iom is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Oil based paint once the job is finished wash in white spirit followed by warm soapy water. While the job is ongoing wrap in cling film and then put in water up to the top of the bristles.

Water based paint, wash into water flow upside down and then in sink each time you use.

Husband is a decorator and only uses Purdy and Hamilton professional brushes they are expensive but last for years.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List