Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 4 Nov 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Leea85
First POST

Mobile To DSLR or Not

Hi All
We are heading on our first ever trip very soon. I am undecided if to take my DSLR or not?
What’s everyone else’s opinion?
My reason for hesitation is caused by photography is a hobby of mine, but I am worried that I’ll spend time viewing the magic from a viewfinder and also have the camera to carry.
Leea85 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Absolutely take it. If you have it with you, you can decide if you want to take it out to the parks or not. If you leave it at home, you'll regret it.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We used to take ours along with a video camera. We now find that our phones can do almost as good a job but we dont have to remember to carry them around and they can be out in a moment.

Theme park holidays are really ideal for high end camera phones.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Took mine a few years ago but quickly found it annoying (having to carry that & bags for the parks meaning more checks on entry was just one of the reasons) and by the end of the holiday i was using my phone more as it was more convenient

Edited at 11:25 AM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
ASCollins
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Personally I can't see why you wouldn't take it?!
I am dad of 2 young children (5 and 2) and am taking DSLR with multiple lenses and speedlight, a handheld video camera and an action camera for on ride videos/pool time.

I know it's seen as overkill by some and not 'enjoying the moment' but for me I want to capture that moment forever. The speed and quality of the DSLR allows me to capture a look, a glance, a tiny momentary detail that a point and shoot just can't do (without a lot of luck).
Yes I will have a lot to carry and yes my wife will tell me to put the camera down and pay attention but when we get home and from 1,000 photos there is one of those extra special moments I won't regret it at all!
ASCollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ASCollins
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

One note I would add is to take a LOT of memory. If you are behind the lens capturing magic then that's awesome but if you are sat trying to review pictures to free up space then that is not cool.
I leave in 5 days for 2 weeks and am taking 592GB in total (and I'm still worried it's not enough!).
ASCollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ASCollins View Post
Personally I can't see why you wouldn't take it?!
I am dad of 2 young children (5 and 2) and am taking DSLR with multiple lenses and speedlight, a handheld video camera and an action camera for on ride videos/pool time.

I know it's seen as overkill by some and not 'enjoying the moment' but for me I want to capture that moment forever. The speed and quality of the DSLR allows me to capture a look, a glance, a tiny momentary detail that a point and shoot just can't do (without a lot of luck).
Yes I will have a lot to carry and yes my wife will tell me to put the camera down and pay attention but when we get home and from 1,000 photos there is one of those extra special moments I won't regret it at all!
I don't take my DSLR to the parks anymore but I do have some wonderful pics of Florida, especially those taken early morning during the first week when I can't stay in bed past 04:30. I left my camera at home one year and felt lost without it. My family think i'm sad.

Dave

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
It was the weight of it and carrying it about in the heat and humidity that stopped me taking mine. I would have loved to have used it in Florida. But I bought a smaller mirrorless one that's pretty decent and small and light to carry around.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
cal999golf
Trying for More Ears

Take it. Don't forget it's your holiday too and if its something you enjoy doing, do it.

You don't have to take it with you every day either.

I'd also recommend investing in a waterproof action camera for the water parks too. It doesn't have to be a go pro either. My sjcam does just as good a job for a fraction of the cost.

Edited at 12:38 PM.
cal999golf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’ve got a Lumix G9 Micro four thirds. A lot lighter than a DSLR even though it’s physically not that much smaller, and the lenses are very light. Just bought a Lowpro Fastpack 250 as I take a rucksack into the parks anyway and this has a section for my camera and a separate top bit for sandwiches, drinks etc totally separate to the camera bit. I also put my GoPro Hero 7 Black in there.