Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Aug 17, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
you can exit the airport

it doesn't mean you should.

remember you'll have all your carry ons to haul through the city, and you'll need to clear security back at the airport (no need if you stay inside)

all things taken into account, you'd only get a maximum of 90 minutes to walk up the steps and shout Adrian at the top of your lungs ...

The carry ons aren't really an issue, when I know we're doing a hop like this we just pack the carry ons really lightly , most people have too much "stuff" anyway especially on night flights coming home. iPad , power block , clean knickers and a toothbrush are the only true essentials
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

We just had one light carry on as we knew we would have to carry it in Philadelphia. Did same in Chicago too in 2013. If choice is 4/5 hours or a longer layover will go for longer one to see a bit of another city.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Think clothing too. November in Chicago was a shock after Florida especially on an open top bus!
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

I would certainly agree with most, 5 hours is too short a time to leave the airport and get back in time for your flight. As said you will need to go through security again (as you have left the airport) onus on you to catch your flight, if you miss it, it is not the carriers responsibility to fly you on, you will need to pay for an additional flight to your destination.

We have a 5 1/2 layover in Charlotte next Thursday and after security and customs clearance (1/2 hr up to 2hrs who knows) we plan to have a good mooch around the airport, then have meal and wait for the gate to open for our next short flight to Daytona.

Play safe and stay within the airport.

Single figures at last and nearly there.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

Thanks guys for all the replies...
Think we might have to give it a miss then ...
Coming from a boxing family , i have boxed since i was young and for the Army just older and injury's catch up with me now... have loved those films from being small and to know they are there and we will probably never go to America again , will be gutted , but think we would worry about missing our flight ,so probably give it a miss..

Thanks for all the help ...
2017dream is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mjspin
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Philly traffic can be horrendous. A recent work trip from close to airport to downtown Philly took 40 mins but the trip before that took 2.5 hours. Too much of a risk in my view.
In the airport there aren't any lounges you can pay for as a one time guest as far as I am aware -the US don't seem to go for these.

Food-wise you could get a Philly Cheesesteak at Geno's or while away a couple of hours in Legal Sea Foods just along from the food court.
There are also the white rocking chairs all over the airport to have a rest in and you need to make sure you get to see the Lego Liberty Bell over towards the A gates.
Mjspin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I've never met anyone who only went to America once ... you'll be back
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
wellbehaved
Getting Excited

Mobile

We did it years ago but on the way to Orlando. Caught a train from the airport, saw the Liberty Bell, had lunch and caught the train back for our onward flight.
Would i do it again? No not with the level of security to go through. Plus I'm a nervous nellie now and wouldnt dare.

Pam
wellbehaved is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I've never met anyone who only went to America once ... you'll be back
^ lol definitely ^

That was us 2007 and now 10 years later...

Xx Ff xX
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

DD did this route with a few nights in Philly, saw the liberty bell and other historical items. Really enjoyed it.So maybe an idea for a new trip.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List