Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Sep 17, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Flying American Airlines with kids.

Hi All,

It's probably a little late for potential buyers remorse as we are heading over in 4 weeks. So I'm looking for reassurance more than anything.

Has anyone flown with American Airlines with their kids? This is our first time doing long haul with the little ones (2 girls 5 & 3 years old) and I'm wondering what the experience is like. We've a hard enough time keeping them from getting bored on a flight to Malaga.

Incidentally, we are flying from Dublin, apparently the aircraft is an Airbus A330 and the flight involves a stopover in Charlotte

Any help/advice and most of all your experiences with AA would be most welcome.

Thanks so much in advance
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We flew AA last month although on a 777 plane. We had a 6 year old with us. He is usually very good at entertaining himself and it was no different on the flight. He used the IFE, has the various snacks, ice creams and meals delivered in the flight and also had a little nap. All children are different and you know yours best so try and pack bags with things that will keep them occupied. I doubt the plane or service provider is going to affect it much.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

would love to hear how you get on we are doing this route next august!
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

also doing long haul with kids .. we take colouring in, sticker books.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I am planning to download programmes to the iPad. When we flew with them last year it was aisle tv not seat back so making sure you have your own entertainment as a backup may be a good idea. I think we had to use the wrong sort of plane due to shortages in the fleet.
debsym62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

I flew the Dublin to CLT to MCO route with AA last month with a 6 year old. The IFE is good and kept my little boy entertained the whole way. So far this has been my favourite transatlantic flight to date. The interior economy cabin on their A330 looked/felt like it had been recently refurbed and was really comfortable.

On the way out my little one wanted a window seat and as it's a 2-4-2 config we had to take a 2 and a 1 behind as there was the 3 of us. AA charge for the window/aisle seat combo but we had already chosen 3 in the middle aisle (as these were free) and were able to choose window seats at online checkin. We got lucky and no one chose the seat beside us so my wife and I took it in turns spreading out over the free seat and looking after our little one.

On the way back, the flight only took 5 1/2 hours yet it was the best I've felt in years for the drive back up to the North.

I will definitely fly this route with AA again.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
I flew the Dublin to CLT to MCO route with AA last month with a 6 year old. The IFE is good and kept my little boy entertained the whole way. So far this has been my favourite transatlantic flight to date. The interior economy cabin on their A330 looked/felt like it had been recently refurbed and was really comfortable.

On the way out my little one wanted a window seat and as it's a 2-4-2 config we had to take a 2 and a 1 behind as there was the 3 of us. AA charge for the window/aisle seat combo but we had already chosen 3 in the middle aisle (as these were free) and were able to choose window seats at online checkin. We got lucky and no one chose the seat beside us so my wife and I took it in turns spreading out over the free seat and looking after our little one.

On the way back, the flight only took 5 1/2 hours yet it was the best I've felt in years for the drive back up to the North.

I will definitely fly this route with AA again.
Can i ask which seats were window as we've got free ones at mo but would love windows for the little ones... I've tried to find these on seat guru but it doesn't tell me. Can windows be booked free at online check in?
Old 21 Sep 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

At online checkin only a few rows at the back of the plane with window seats were Free of Charge. Think they wanted $65 per seat for window seats further forward. As we were arriving as domestic passengers and in no rush to catch our next plane (Charlotte isn't huge and is quick and easy to navigate) we didn't mind sitting towards the back of the plane.

Here is the seat map: seatguru/airlines/Am...A330-200_B.php

Do you have your American Airlines booking code? You should be able to login to their seat map and see the current availability and charge for any seat. You will also be able to move your seats to free seats. When we logged in the first time they had us already allocated in one row behind each other ie. Row 28 seat C, Row 29 seat C and Row 30 seat C so we moved these immediately to seats beside each other and then again at online checkin.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I've flown American a few times with my 7 year old son (started at 4) and it's the same as all other airlines. We just take stuff to entertain him, iPads full of downloaded children's programmes and games, colouring, aqua doodle, new games, sweets and food and he is fine.
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
At online checkin only a few rows at the back of the plane with window seats were Free of Charge. Think they wanted $65 per seat for window seats further forward. As we were arriving as domestic passengers and in no rush to catch our next plane (Charlotte isn't huge and is quick and easy to navigate) we didn't mind sitting towards the back of the plane.

Here is the seat map: seatguru/airlines/Am...A330-200_B.php

Do you have your American Airlines booking code? You should be able to login to their seat map and see the current availability and charge for any seat. You will also be able to move your seats to free seats. When we logged in the first time they had us already allocated in one row behind each other ie. Row 28 seat C, Row 29 seat C and Row 30 seat C so we moved these immediately to seats beside each other and then again at online checkin.
Could I also ask which terminals you land and leave out of ... We have 1.5hr turnaround to maje the connection. just wondering how far it is to the next gate? Please!