Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Feb 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I always wear mine without issue.
I also wear daily disposals for a month+ just putting them in Opti Free Express on a night.
Johnson and Johnson were sued in USA for selling daily disposables as the same lenses save slight curvature difference as the monthly ones. They settled. So since then I used the dailies as monthlies. Done it for 15 years as has Mrs YT.
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
stephen2203
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I always wear mine without issue.
I also wear daily disposals for a month+ just putting them in Opti Free Express on a night.
Johnson and Johnson were sued in USA for selling daily disposables as the same lenses save slight curvature difference as the monthly ones. They settled. So since then I used the dailies as monthlies. Done it for 15 years as has Mrs YT.
Have to take issue with this. Daily disposable lenses are not durable enough for more than one wear and they are not designed to be cleaned.

Please follow the care advice given to you by you contact lens practitioner. I'm a dispensing optician and regularly see complications such as infections and ulcers which do occur when people fail to comply with care instructions. Just because you have not had any issues YET does not mean that it is safe.
stephen2203 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Water can cause soft contact lenses to change shape, swell, and stick to the eye. This is uncomfortable, and can scratch the cornea (the clear dome that covers the colored part of the eye), which makes it easier for germs to enter the eye and cause infection.

Simply changing your contact lenses after swimming isn’t enough. Damage already done way before.

I wear hard contact lenses which carry less risk so I used to keep them in when at water parks but keep my eyes tight shut when going down slides etc and never open my eyes under water. Calculated risk. I wouldn’t risk soft contact lenses but many do.

Recently I have stopped doing this though. I have really bad eye sight (+10) and can see well enough to do without them if needs be. And I have prescription Google’s for swimming.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Safyre
Very Serious Dibber

I've done all 3 options, worn dailies, worn glasses and worn nothing!

Dailies, meh, I just cant take to contacts, I've tried so many times but fail. I only ever use them on holiday. I *think* I will get them again this year as I like to be able to see in the water. But I take them out when we get back to the hotel, or even sooner if they are annoying me.

Glasses - will wear them happily in the pool, usually prescription sunglasses, and always have a spare pair with me. This is easiest. If we're going on a flume I just put them in a locker as I don't want to risk it.

Nothing - obviously this depends on your prescription. I have done it. I need to be guided by DH and have had 2 issues with this, one time I walked full force into a pole thing and hurt my leg (bad bruise rest of trip) and the other was the start of a rather unfortunate incident of mistaking a random for DH and getting into a pickle!
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jimboy2 View Post
Why not just wear glasses? My GF has really bad eyes, she can’t have dailies or monthly’s. Hers last her 6 months. She just wears a older pair of glasses for the day with a sports strap. TBH we only go on the raft rides together as she’s not a fan of slides on her own

Has she tried hard gas permeable contact lenses ? You can pretty much get any prescription in them.

Edited at 11:04 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack&LucysMumy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Safyre View Post
I've done all 3 options, worn dailies, worn glasses and worn nothing!

Dailies, meh, I just cant take to contacts, I've tried so many times but fail. I only ever use them on holiday. I *think* I will get them again this year as I like to be able to see in the water. But I take them out when we get back to the hotel, or even sooner if they are annoying me.

Glasses - will wear them happily in the pool, usually prescription sunglasses, and always have a spare pair with me. This is easiest. If we're going on a flume I just put them in a locker as I don't want to risk it.

Nothing - obviously this depends on your prescription. I have done it. I need to be guided by DH and have had 2 issues with this, one time I walked full force into a pole thing and hurt my leg (bad bruise rest of trip) and the other was the start of a rather unfortunate incident of mistaking a random for DH and getting into a pickle!
Sorry had to have a little chuckle at you mistaking a random for your DH.

Louise
Jack&LucysMumy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stephen2203 View Post
Have to take issue with this. Daily disposable lenses are not durable enough for more than one wear and they are not designed to be cleaned.

Please follow the care advice given to you by you contact lens practitioner. I'm a dispensing optician and regularly see complications such as infections and ulcers which do occur when people fail to comply with care instructions. Just because you have not had any issues YET does not mean that it is safe.
Johnson and Johnson settled for hundreds of millions as they were exactly the same material. Please Google it. I do take care to clean properly and would agree follow medical advice.

Edited at 11:18 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Safyre
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Jack&LucysMumy View Post
Sorry had to have a little chuckle at you mistaking a random for your DH.
That's nothing!

The full horror is explained here!
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

My son has prescription goggles - a bit out of date now - but does the job - they actually have masks you borrow at Discovery Cove.

I buy daily disposables for the holiday - saves taking cases / cleaner, and dispose regularly - get through 2 pairs on flights, and on water park days, when I where normal swim goggles as much as possible to stop water getting - TL wave pool can be an issue!
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack&LucysMumy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Safyre View Post
That's nothing!

The full horror is explained here!
oh no you poor thing. That sounds quite traumatic. That would probably happen to me, I seem to get myself into situations like that

Louise
Jack&LucysMumy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List