Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jul 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
The other arguementvof course is that for many elderly people the freedom that they get from driving is their lifeline. Take away their DL and you take away their access to social groups, recreation and possibly most important healthcare
Absolutely , we moved my MIL as FIL moved them to a house close to us and the grandkids when he felt he didn't have much time left and wanted her to be closer to us but it had nothing except a Tesco extra close by across a major road. We moved her again after he died to a ground floor flat opposite Aldis and a three minute walk from the high street so at 93 and fiercely independent she can pop out for a paper and a bit of shopping , even walk to the doctors . It is vital to consider the mental health aspect , too many of the elderly are very isolated.
She doesn't drive and was fortunate to own her property so could choose where to move to, many don't have that luxury though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

I thought this was a joke post - still not sure what the OP is about 🤔
As for ‘elderly drivers’ what age is this exactly?
My mom drives for a living, she’s 63 and a bus driver - so her ability to drive is more rigorously tested. I don’t think she’d appreciate being called an elderly driver tbh.
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
I thought this was a joke post - still not sure what the OP is about 🤔
As for ‘elderly drivers’ what age is this exactly?
My mom drives for a living, she’s 63 and a bus driver - so her ability to drive is more rigorously tested. I don’t think she’d appreciate being called an elderly driver tbh.
Exactly ...

Elderly depends where you stand. At twenty , everyone over 45 is "old" when you hit forty your perspective has changed.
A lass at work the other day wanted a special appointment for an "elderly and vulnerable " customer , the manager nearly had a fit as the customer was fifty with no disabilities , when called on it the agent said "well fifty is elderly to me" Half of us didn't know whether to be offended or laugh.

Edited at 10:56 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I have callers at 60 with no disabilities complaining that they’re old and need looking after... seriously, I have to bite my tongue... and I have 90 year olds who are fully independent and who say they don’t want to be a burden... I sometimes wonder if it’s the way they were bought up and of course their own perception of age... I’m 65 and still working albeit part time now, but don’t plan on either packing up work completely or stopping driving in the foreseeable future ...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think my stance is that after a certain age (I think around 70) you should have regular driving standards tests... maybe every 2-5 years in order to keep your license. Simply because it is a fact that as we get older our reactions aren’t what they used to be, we become more forgetful and also the roads are much different to say 30-50 years ago. Now I’m not saying that everyone over 70 is a danger on the road but by having the tests it removes those who are therefore keeping is all safe.

For those saying that driving is often someone’s lifeline... I don’t disagree however that is not a good enough reason to allow someone who is unsafe to be on our roads. The simple fact is they are a risk to others safety. There are taxis and buses that are easily accessible for social activities.
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Personally I think every driver should retake a test about 5 yr intervals. Bad driving can be seen in every age group
This way bad speedy drivers may calm down and observe the laws more, and us oldies more aware of the needs of modern driving
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
My argument is they should treat a 18 year old the same as a 80 year old.
The law does treat an 18 year old the same as an 80 year old. The law doesn't change because of the age of the person.

If it's an accident then it's an accident whatever their age is.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Mobile

This happened in Boston, Lincs for those questioning the validity of the OP, it is on the bbc news website.
Very sad for all concerned
Old 2 Jul 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Twiga6 View Post
This happened in Boston, Lincs for those questioning the validity of the OP, it is on the bbc news website.
I've just read the BBC article.

It says nothing about whether the 80 year old driver was charged or let off. Elsewhere it states that the 80 year old was taken to hospital with minor injuries and that police "continue their investigations".

If it turns out that it was an accident then the person should not "go to prison" - that applies whatever age they are.

Agreed though that it is very sad for all concerned.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Twiga6 View Post

Yep definitely true , happened in my local town there’s pictures etc all over the local pages

Fortunately it’s not the busiest part of town , a little further down and a lot more would have been hurt .

It’s very sad for all concerned , specially for the lady that died and her family

I do think the elderly should be retested at a certain age though .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List