Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Jul 19, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile Booked Thailand

We've booked two weeks in Thailand for April. 3 nights Bangkok and 8 nights in Khao Lak.

2A 2K (13and 10)

What do we need:
Visa?
Vaccinations?
Cash? What currency?
Risks?
Tips?

Thanks in advance
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I've just returned from my first trip to thailand and I loved it.

For vaccinations just contact the nurse at your GP surgery. They give you a form to complete about where you're travelling to and they'll sort out what is needed. Just make sure you get it done well before you travel.

No risks I can think of. I went to Khao Sok and Bangkok. In bangkok the people are really friendly and their skytrain is really easy to use to travel around. I stayed in mercure siam and was right next ti the station.

If you're from the UK then no Visa is needed. The currency is the Thai Baht.
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Sorry Thai Baht
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would say the normal risks of being on holiday, I don’t think you have to be any more scared or vigilant in Bangkok than you would be in Paris, just be aware of your surroundings. We’ve been a few times and never felt unsafe.

You get your visa on arrival in Thailand, however when you get it they put a slip of paper in your passport (but we’ve found don’t secure it) you need this slip when you are leaving the country and we saw many a person turned away after a very very long queue to refill it in and queue again. Just take it out and keep it somewhere safe and hand it back in to customs when you are leaving.

Thai Baht, you can get it here, make sure you get smaller notes especially if you want to get street food / Tuk Tuks. A lot of Tuk Tuks will say they don’t have change so have smaller notes for that purpose 😉

We didn’t need any vaccinations but you might need boosters just check with your nurse. We also didn’t take malaria tablets because there wasn’t a malaria risk the places we were visiting (and probably isn’t for you) if you google malaria map Thailand NHS Scotland has a really good one.

I gave you quite a lot of tips in the previous thread but my biggest tip is to try street food! I know it can be a bit weird but it’s so much fun, go to the vendors that have a lot of locals, it will all be incredible. Go to night markets, they are such an amazing thing in Thailand, we love them.

Learn a few words, learn how to say thank you (it’s different for men and women so learn the right one) I think learning a few words like thank you, yes, no etc. Goes a long way. Yes most of them will speak English but it’s nice to show you’ve made an effort

Have fun! We love Thailand, it’s an amazing country.

Oh and last tip do not ride elephants. Thailand has a huge problem with elephant tourism. No matter how the companies sell themselves, riding elephants is never ever ok, they are treated horrendously, most of the elephants are tamed using bull hooks, we visited a sanctuary and saw first hand the scars etc. They have experienced. So don’t give your money to the elephants handlers who still treat them like them!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Agree with the comment about trying street food - it’s usually very tasty and cheap BUT always buy food that is cooked fresh in front of you. Never buy pre-cooked things that you don’t know how long they have been sitting there. I once picked up a nasty bug from eating street food - lesson learned!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Memories beach bar in khal lak,have opened up an elephant sanctuary,where you can feed them,but not ride them.the children will enjoy it there.If you go on a Friday night,they hold a fire show on the beach.definately worth getting there,in time to enjoy the sunset.
The pancakes they make on the side of the road in khao lak,are absolutely gorgeous,definitely try one for dessert.
If the children want a change from Thai food,go to walkers inn,they do both Thai & English food & both are really good.
We always just take enough Thai baht for a taxi from the airport & the first day,as the rate is usually better over there,with plenty of exchange booths along the rd.
We enjoyed the floating market in Bangkok & the bridge over the river Kwai,but may not interest the children,but a trip to the grand palace is a must.
Enjoy your planning
Tracy x
Old 20 Jul 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would sat don't bother with street food - what we had was rubbish 🙄
We are in 2 of the 3 hotels we stayed at and had fantastic 5* meals for £10 each - not much more than street food!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
we loved Thailand, so incredibly beautiful, the food is wonderful and the people great.

We didn't get any vaccinations, we didn't when we went to mexico either, but that's our choice weighing up risks etc. we felt the risks were miniscule.

Thai baht, order before hand.

Be sensible and aware of your surroundings if you go to night markets etc., just like you would anywhere in the world and in your own home town but in the tourist areas, it's perfectly safe.

Enjoy, I plan to go back one day.

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone. We want to try Street food and the markets.

I'm nervous about the kids in Bangkok as we've never took them on a city break before. Is it as busy as I'm imaging? My daughter is likely to be scared of losing us and my DS will have his nose in his phone.

Thanks for specific recommendations for Khao Lak. Will check them out.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

We went to Bangkok then on to Koh Samuj the year before last with our 2 boys, they were 11 and 7 at the time. You do have to keep a close eye on them when at the night market etc. because it is busy and very distracting when browsing and haggling prices.
Make sure everyone has contact, hotel details on them and agree a meet up point at each venue should you get split up.
Ultimately, we had no problems and neither should you.

One time in London we were on the tube and I didn't manage to get off at the stop the wife and kids got off at because of the crowded train so it can happen anywhere.
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List