Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jul 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m not sure how this could happen, I suspect it was another reason as Esta status comes into play long before boarding.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
flipflop75
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Yes, use the Visa in your expired pp. Our B2 visa's are in our expired pp's, we carry 4pp's, hand all over to US immigration upon arrival, they check Visa in expired pp, stamp B2/180 in valid pp and hand write the Visa number.

There's a good device available for keeping all pp's together, called an elastic band apparently, the things man invents eh

Phew, thanks for that thought i would have to go through the pain of the Embassy again!
2017 Kissimmee-St Augustine-Miami-Key West-Naples-Disney POR
2018 Kissimmee
flipflop75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Whilst airline desk check-in view an approval marker, final approval can come into play once check-in closes and API is forwarded to the US for puter checks. Airline advised of any ESTA rescinds, the pax is located and denied US travel, perhaps in this instance by the time the US returned an ESTA rescind flag, boarding had commenced.

US carriers tend to forward pax completed API 72 hours pre-flight, hence why some travellers receive a rescind email a day or two afore travelling to the airport. Apparently VA send API once check-in has closed.

Edited at 04:55 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I listen to the radio in the mornings and recently one of the local radio DJs was saying she couldn't board her flight to the USA because she didn't have an ESTA. Apparently she was so used to not needing a visa for most countries that she didn't realise she needed to also apply for an ESTA when visiting the USA (under the visa waiver scheme)!

To be fair, I almost did fall victim to the lack of ESTA - as I hadn't realised that my ESTA had expired! It took the reminder from the radio DJ and from someone else I was talking to to realise that I should probably check that I still had a valid ESTA...
Old 20 Jul 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
My son was going to LV for work and all tickets were booked for him. About a week before going I said to him "You've done your Esta haven't you?" He turned around and didn't know what I was talking about. He had travelled to America many times with us as a child but not since he became an adult.

Luckily he did his straight away and it went straight through. I was amazed work hadn't told him to do one and it made me think of how many people just don't know you need one.

I am religious about reading everything sent to me but I wonder how many don't read the you 'must have a current Visa or Esta to enter USA'

With now not getting instant approval, I wonder how many miss their flights!
If he was going for work purposes wouldn't he have needed a visa? I've always thought estas were for holidays.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
If he was going for work purposes wouldn't he have needed a visa? I've always thought estas were for holidays.
Not sure about the limitations of ESTA for work, but you can definitely attend conferences in the USA on an ESTA (I've done this and remember checking up the rules for it)!
Old 20 Jul 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
Esta status is checked at the desk not at the gate - I would imagine they were refused for some other reason.
That's what I was thinking. We have been 10 years running and the only thing checked at the gate is that your passport matches your ticket. The ESTA has always been always checked by a guy in the queue when waiting to check in, I'm guessing as it would allow time to apply for one if it had been forgotten.
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
Not sure about the limitations of ESTA for work, but you can definitely attend conferences in the USA on an ESTA (I've done this and remember checking up the rules for it)!
Yes he was going to a conference so no visa needed.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Whe DD worked at Glasgow Airport, if people didn't have esta , at check-in, they would do their best to get computer access there and then so they could apply. Most times it was a happy outcome xx

Edited at 05:15 PM.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by g1970 View Post
That's what I was thinking. We have been 10 years running and the only thing checked at the gate is that your passport matches your ticket. The ESTA has always been always checked by a guy in the queue when waiting to check in, I'm guessing as it would allow time to apply for one if it had been forgotten.
I’ve been Travelling to the US every year since ESTAs started being used and never had anyone check for ESTA in queue before checkin.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List