Old 20 Nov 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Can we do Disney on $50 day for 2? Nov 2017 *Completed*

This was a budget trip booked in May 2017 as Virgin holidays had offers in their sale we couldn’t refuse.
The focus of the trip was on keeping the spends low; as we already have a 15 night stay booked for Septmber 2018 and our youngest DS was due to start Uni in September and we were not sure how much financial support we would need to provide. I posted on the Dibb to discuss our proposed spends and most people agreed we would not be able to do this on our budget of $50 per day for food for 2. We were staying for 7 nights at All Star Music without the dining plan.
This report shows how we managed and if $50 a day is possible.

This is not fine dining, mostly quick service and no alcohol

I have also added information about each day including where we went and scored food out of ten. The score indicates what we thought of the food, anything over 7/10 we would eat again. This is our 4th visit to Disney world and our first on site without the dining plan. Our previous experiences helped in knowing what food was available. We took variety pack cereals, cereal bars and a few funsize bars of chocolate left from Halloween.

2/11/2017 VS15 flying at 13.00 Gatwick

We had breakfast at Jamies before the flight. I enjoyed sausage in a brioche bun £4.95 8/10 and DH the half monty £7.95 7/10 and 2 teas £4.70

Virgin flight food , passes the time no pictures sorry

Arrived to a busy immigration hall and by the time we were at All Star Music we were too tired to eat. Purchased our refillable mugs and a 4 pint of skimmed milk and went to bed. $44.80

Edited at 09:31 AM.
rosiebun3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 17, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
subscribing... interested to see how you got on
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

Following, looking forward to your updates👍
Old 21 Nov 17, 05:25 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Ooh, love a budget food report. Looking forward to updates. We managed on $75 per day on our budget trip in January.
Old 21 Nov 17, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Its great to see that it doesnt have to cost a fortune for those going first time etc, we found the food in Disney pretty urgh! And very expensive for anything decent and having to queue for ages to get it etc,
Old 21 Nov 17, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Keep it coming
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Fab idea thanks for sharing

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Excellent. Love a good budget!

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
3/11/2017

Breakfast in room was cereal , a cereal bar and a cup of tea. No picture I'm sure you don't need these

First early morning at MK which opened at 9.00. We were in the park soon after 8.00 and started with photopass pictures.
DH had a blueberry muffin whilst I went on space mountain. He did not take a photo cost $4.25 and he scored it 5/10. DH is not a fast ride fan and without my DD I had to do the fast rides alone. Space mountain was a new ride for me, with a 10 minute wait it had to be done. Am I alone in thinking that it is dark, bumpy and boring with little to see? Not on my list for any future visits

To reward myself we went to Gaston’s tavern for a cinnamon bun and 2 cups of water. $5.47 8.5/10. We have never had one before and they are now a firm favourite.

Leaving MK after our last FP, meeting Mickey, we went to DS for lunch. We had an offer for Earl of Sandwich, as it was National sandwich day. Buy one get one free, so we had to oblige.
2x the original 1762, one fountain drink, potato chips and a cup of water $12.23 we gave these 8/10 as we like EOS. Queues were long as it was lunchtime but we were through quickly. Sorry the picture does not show the food.

From DS we ordered an Uber to Vineland road outlets and shopped. Not much bought except a pair of Levis for DH. We walked across the road to the Publix. The plan was to purchase enough fruit to go with our breakfasts until the end of our stay. Bananas, 2.5 lbs of red grapes and ½ gallon of still lemonade $11.18. The grapes were delicious and very large, they did last well in the fridge during our stay. I also bought packs of Hersey’s to take back for my work colleagues as these were buy one get one free. ( I haven’t included in our spends as we didn’t eat these $ 4.29 for 2 large packs)
Returning to All Stars we decided not to venture back out as we were tired. We walked across to try the food court at Movies. We took our refillable mugs for fountain drinks
Decided to share the Pot roast, mash and green beans $ 12.89 which we gave a 7/10; for me it needed a little more seasoning and the beans were warm rather than hot. There was plenty to share.

We finished with an ice cream cookie sandwich with vanilla ice cream, which we also shared. $6.23 8/10

On the way back to the room I filled up with my favourite hot chocolate from the Music food court.

Our total spends $52.25
Fitbit information 26732 steps 11.44 miles and 14 stairs

Edited at 07:05 PM.
rosiebun3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
4/11/2017

Breakfast in the room included the addition of banana on cereal and grapes
Today was EMH at AK and our plan was to get there early to try FOP. We had FP’s for later in the holiday but with all the hype and knowing we would be up early we headed out just after 7a.m. to try and ride FOP. Pandora was at its best in the early morning light; making the details easier to see although I would still recommend visiting at night.
We had all our fastpasses for MK in the evening so no particular plans. After Pandora, we loved FOP ;even DH who wore his travel sickness bands. We did Safari, walked Gorilla falls and Maharajah jungle trek before stopping for the lion king show.
DH was now keen to try the pulled pork Mac and cheese from Flame Tree Barbeque. We shared this. It came with a small pot of coleslaw and 2 fried onion rings $10.64. This scored a 5/10; the mac and cheese did not taste of cheese and the pulled pork did not have a particularly barbequed flavour. The coleslaw was quite good but a very small portion. This is a photo from Disney food blog as I don't seem to have one

We returned to the hotel and picked up fountain drinks before going out to MK for the late afternoon/evening.
Around 4.00 we stopped at the Plaza ice cream shop and had a Plaza sundae one scoop vanilla one maple pecan which we shared. $6.17. We scored this 9/10 as the ice cream was delicious. I do miss maple pecan ice cream when we are home. We also had 2 cups of water from Caseys as the Plaza did not have water.

Around 6.30, before finding a space to watch Happily ever after and once upon a time, we went to Pecos Bills for tea. We shared the fajita platter and had 2 of the paper bowls filled with fixings . We also had 2 cups of water $ 15.97 . We enjoyed this and there was plenty to share ,as we had a lot of fixings, and gave this 7.5/10. The only problem I have with Pecos Bills is finding a table can be difficult and the tables are not always clean. Problem solved as I carry anti bac wipes.

Stayed to watch the fireworks and on return to hotel went to get my hot chocolate before bed.

Total spends $32.78

Fitbit 25853 steps, 11.08 miles

5/11/2017

Up early for EMH at HS; as we did not have FP for Toy Story mania until later in the week and this is DH favourite ride. Breakfast in the room as before, enjoying the fruit for breakfast.
Managed to do TSM x2 before the crowds built up and then just had a walk around and looked at the Christmas decorations
Returned to hotel late morning and walked across to All Star Sports food court, which was actually closer to our room than the food court at ASM. Took our refillable mugs and shared a portion of chilli cheese fries $5.69. we gave these 6/10 ; there was more cheese than chilli. The chips were actually quite nice hot and not greasy.

Returned to our hotel and took our refillable mugs and sat by the pool for an hour. Decided it was too hot as we weren’t in swimming costumes and returned to our room. DH was not feeling great as he had developed a cold.
Headed back out to spend the evening at AK. We decided to eat at the Yak and Yeti QS and picked up Honey chicken x 2 and an egg roll which we shared. We had 2 cups of water. Again difficult to find a seat but a nice couple offered to share a table with them. $26.92 and we gave this 8.5/10. There was plenty of sugar snap peas and sliced carrot under the chicken, which I don’t think you can see on my photo.

Watched Rivers of light, I just don’t get this show. We booked based on a friend’s recommendation but wouldn’t bother again.
Back to hotel for more hot chocolate.

Total spend $32.61

Fitbit 23604 steps, 10.12 miles, 14 stairs.

Edited at 09:20 AM.