Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 21 Nov 17, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow, you are doing really well on the less than $50 but you also seem to be eating a nice variety and not just hotdogs and burgers.

We love the cinnamon roll from Gaston's it's a must do now. This and the ice cream cookie sandwich are always sharing items for us too, that way we can squeeze in more snacks but it's never because we're hungry more because we want to try out all the snacks!

Great start, I'm looking forward to the rest.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I think avoiding the fountain drinks in the parks and going for iced water was a real saving. I didn't miss this and in fact think I felt better for not being full of gas and sugar. No burgers or hot dogs were eaten in this food challenge
Old 21 Nov 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
6/11/2017

Cereal , fruit and tea in room
Decided to head out to Epcot and then on to TTC to pick up an Uber to the International Drive outlets. At the outlets they were giving away bottles of flavoured spring water so we didn’t need to buy a drink. Had a slightly more successful shop and got a few Christmas presents including Uggs for my daughter. These were to replace some she ruined walking out in rain last winter. The price had increased by $25 dollars since we had bought the same style in August 2016.

Went to Dollar tree to get medication for DH and bought a bottle of Pepsi $ 1.09

We got an Uber back to DS and went to Blaze Pizza for a late lunch at around 2. We shared a make your own pizza. My ½ was tomato sauce, mozzarella, chicken and mushroom and DH had tomato sauce, mozzarella, meatball, pepperoni and red onion on his. We also ordered a side salad; roast squash, pepper, quinoa and feta with spinach, arugula and a lime based dressing. We had 2 cups of water. We gave this 9/10, the salad in particular was delicious. Dessert was a peppermint bark from Ghiradellis

We returned to the hotel with our purchases and used our refillable mugs.

Around 5 we headed out to HS as we planned to watch the Star Wars fireworks. After our FP for TSM we stopped at Hollywood Scoops for a vanilla ice cream cookie sandwich and a tub of butter pecan ice cream. DH gave me one of the cookies from the sandwich. We also had 2 cups of water. I love this ice cream so much 9/10

When we got back to the room DH was not hungry; probably due to his cold and nothing at the food court appealed to me so we filled up our mugs with fountain drinks and had a packet of Lays crisps. I gave the lays 5/10 as I'm not a fan of crisps but I just couldn't see anything else I wanted

Finished the day with my mug of hot chocolate.

Total spends $31.67

Fitbit 23591 steps, 10.15 miles, 16 stairs.

Edited at 08:48 PM.
rosiebun3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Love this report. I remember your enquiring earlier in the year as we also do a $50 a day food budget but we're offsite and also start with a small grocery shop so not fully comparable. It's fantastic having the Fitbit update too. One week and counting for us and will be my first time to use Fitbit.

You're doing great so far. I agree that getting the iced water instead of buying sodas makes a huge difference. We did this last 2 trips and found it such an improvement. We're not major soda fans anyway and drink water all the time at home. Probably under the TMI category but water means less bathroom visits for me too 👍😄.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

You are doing amazingly well to be eating for less than $50, particularly on site!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
Love this report. I remember your enquiring earlier in the year as we also do a $50 a day food budget but we're offsite and also start with a small grocery shop so not fully comparable. It's fantastic having the Fitbit update too. One week and counting for us and will be my first time to use Fitbit.

You're doing great so far. I agree that getting the iced water instead of buying sodas makes a huge difference. We did this last 2 trips and found it such an improvement. We're not major soda fans anyway and drink water all the time at home. Probably under the TMI category but water means less bathroom visits for me too 👍😄.
Have to agree the bathroom issue was always a problem for DS so much so that he wont come with us any more

Loved the Fitbit information impressed with how far we walked without realizing.

Edited at 09:33 PM.
rosiebun3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 17, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
7/11/2017

Today our plan was to return to DS for more shopping then to go onto Epcot to the food and wine festival .
We started with breakfast in our room.
We took our refillable mugs to DS; as we were planning to return to the room before going on to Epcot. We drank this whilst waiting for a bus.
We left for Epcot around 12.00. It was absolutely heaving and took us a while to get through security and the tapstiles.
We had plans to try a few snacks for lunch. Due to the crowds it took forever to get to our first choice. – pot stickers $ 4.00. These were good but so small we gave them 7/10. We shared as we planned to try a few things.

It got hotter and busier and we realised we needed to return to future world for our Soarin fast pass, This was 14.35 so that gives you an idea if how little we had achieved. After the fast pass we decided to do living with the land as it said it was a 20 minute wait and we didn’t have a fast pass for this. Half way along the queue it became clear the wait time was way out. We discussed leaving the line but having wasted 20 minutes already decided to stick it out and eventually got on the ride after an hour!.
We were now starving and decided to cut our losses and eat at Sunshine seasons. Having eaten here before we have had good and bad experiences. Today was not good. We ordered 2 portions of the Jasmine rice and honey chicken and 2 cups of water $24.69. This scored a poor 5.5 from me; it was vinegary and over seasoned with black pepper. I also thought the chicken was a bit slimey. The rice was ok though.

To make up for this we decided to go out to the Boardwalk and try the Ample Hills ice cream. The Boardwalk was so quiet compared with the massive crowds in Epcot. I had a tub of salty malty pretzel ice cream and DH had the double chocolate $8.93. We felt these did not live up to our expectations and we gave them 6/10. My ice cream in particular was odd, with some of the pretzels being crisp and others soft and wet. I did not like the odd textures. The ice cream flavour itself was fine.

We returned to Epcot with a plan to walk around the world showcase. We arrived just as an Eat to the Beat concert finished. It was impossible to move anywhere except with the crowd. We made a decision to carry on and leave the park. We missed Illuminations and felt we didn’t have the best experience of the F&W festival. In hindsight the crowds were probably larger as it was the end of F&W. We plan to try again when we visit next September.
We returned to the hotel and again I struggled to find anything to eat at the food court. I was really missing POFQ for choice. I bought a blueberry muffin $3.54 and returned to our room with hot chocolate.The muffin scored 5/10; there were only 1 or 2 blueberries in it and its texture was like a bun - wrong.

This was probably our most disappointing day in terms of food and nearly the most expensive. We love Epcot normally so will hopefully have a better experience next year.

Total spends $41.16
Fitbit 21317, 10.86 miles, 11 stairs

Edited at 03:28 PM.
Old 21 Nov 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Loving this. It’s making me want to come back and do $50 per day lol.
Old 21 Nov 17, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

You are doing really well with your $50 budget. The drinks are your big saving, the refillable cups in resort and water in the parks is such a simple way to keep costs down.
What do you ask for when you get free water, tap water, iced water, free water? 😀

We found the qs food onsite reasonably priced compared to UK theme parks and with far more choice than a UK park. We ate without the meal plan at Easter 2016 and felt that we didn't overspend or go without nice meals and treats to eat. Enjoying your report 😊
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
rosiebun3
Apprentice Imagineer

rosiebun3's Reviews
[QUOTE=DisneyDaffodil;12953384]You are doing really well with your $50 budget. The drinks are your big saving, the refillable cups in resort and water in the parks is such a simple way to keep costs down.
What do you ask for when you get free water, tap water, iced water, free water? 😀

When we ordered our meals we just asked for cups of water. If we just needed water but not ordering anything else I just asked for a cup of water. No one was surprised and at some venues such as Caseys they had trays of water waiting. Sometimes the water was iced sometimes not.