Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Dec 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile Invisilign braces!

So I've just signed up for invisilign braces at the age of 38! And at a cost if 4k!
Anyone else have/had them? If so what are your experiences? Any top tips?
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

I am coming to the end of my Invisalign journey and it has been the best thing I have ever done. I started in November 2017 at the grand old age of 39 and am due to finish mid February. I have a real fear of any sort of dental treatment and still have to psych myself up for the visits but luckily I have had a very positive experience throughout with minimal hassle or pain.

My top two tips would be : 1) do not look up things online. I found a blog from an American lady and while her experience was pretty good, a lot of the people commenting seemed to find it all very traumatic and I was really anxious about starting my treatment as a result. In fact I almost backed out! I know everybody is different but having gone through it all at this stage I really cannot understand how they were so worked up about it all.

2) Keep your braces in for as long as you possibly can each day. I have averaged 22 hours per day throughout but I have found it relatively easy as I rarely snack/graze during the day. The fact that I'm paying €4.5k that I don't really have has been a great motivator!

Best of luck with your treatment.
SEAWORLD FAN is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

£4K. I’ve been desperate to have this done but that because the ads on the radio say £1k. I suppose I should have done more research. My own dentist said he’d do fixed braces for £4K but I don’t want those.
Old 18 Dec 18, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

My orthodontist advised the standard train tracks, he said they were cheaper, and more effective. Yes, they look ugly, but I honestly didnt care as I was in my forties too!

However you do it, straightening your teeth will be a fantastic thing to do, I have never looked back.

Good luck!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
I am coming to the end of my Invisalign journey and it has been the best thing I have ever done. I started in November 2017 at the grand old age of 39 and am due to finish mid February. I have a real fear of any sort of dental treatment and still have to psych myself up for the visits but luckily I have had a very positive experience throughout with minimal hassle or pain.

My top two tips would be : 1) do not look up things online. I found a blog from an American lady and while her experience was pretty good, a lot of the people commenting seemed to find it all very traumatic and I was really anxious about starting my treatment as a result. In fact I almost backed out! I know everybody is different but having gone through it all at this stage I really cannot understand how they were so worked up about it all.

2) Keep your braces in for as long as you possibly can each day. I have averaged 22 hours per day throughout but I have found it relatively easy as I rarely snack/graze during the day. The fact that I'm paying €4.5k that I don't really have has been a great motivator!

Best of luck with your treatment.
Thanks for the reply, I have to have 2 teeth extracted which worries me more than the invisalign! I have adult teeth that have decided to grow through and have pushed my other teeth all over the place!
Did you find you dribbled or got a lisp? I work in a finance office and I'm so worried about this! Also was it difficult or painful to remove them?

It's such a lot of money and such a strange system, I had all the scans and they said once I've had teeth removed and the little bits put on my teeth (forgot the name for them!) Then I'll get my retainers through the post and will have an app to scan pics of my teeth to dentist meaning... dentist won't need to see me until treatment completed in 21 months! As in I never go to see them during invisilign, they just look at pictures! Is this normal practise?!

Ps. I'm glad it worked out well for you! X
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by °o°-Hannah-°o° View Post
£4K. I’ve been desperate to have this done but that because the ads on the radio say £1k. I suppose I should have done more research. My own dentist said he’d do fixed braces for £4K but I don’t want those.
Mine was a lot more than the dentist quotes online too. Standard braces were £2800 for me, she said invisilign results are as good as normal braces but a bit quicker and obvs more convenient. I got interest free credit so paying for them over 2 years, maybe this is something for you to look into? X
Old 18 Dec 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
My orthodontist advised the standard train tracks, he said they were cheaper, and more effective. Yes, they look ugly, but I honestly didnt care as I was in my forties too!

However you do it, straightening your teeth will be a fantastic thing to do, I have never looked back.

Good luck!
I had assumed my teeth were too bad for invisilgn so thought id have to have braces but id go for clear or tooth coloured. Dentist said id have to have standard metal one's and i have a bridge that would have to come out leaving a huge gap! With invisilign they are leaving bridge in at first then when tooth behind it comes forward a bit I can take bridge out and they will colour in the retainer to look like a tooth! How clever! Hope it works out!
Old 18 Dec 18, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
No I went in to see my dentist and no way did they send them through the post, I went in every month, and so they gave me one new set to wear and one to replace in a fortnight.

They checked they fit etc at all times
Old 18 Dec 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
zokaluse
VIP Dibber

I’m 45 & had Self litigating metal braces fitted last month. I have a severe overbite & my bottom jaw is small & too far back so I should have had top & bottom braces along with head gear as a teen but I refused. Tried on NHS about 5 years ago & orthodontist was annoyed they wouldn’t fund the braces or the jaw surgery as I was clinically entitled to it all.
I’ve just got top braces atm and bottom are being added in a few months then I’ll get the jaw surgery hopefully through maxillo facial as it effects my breathing & sleep & the consultant is hoping my sleep study shows sleep apnea as he says I 100% need the surgery but he can’t get funding for it if I don’t have sleep apnea. Had 1 Study so far but hardly slept as woke every time I moved with the equipment digging in so it’s being repeated in January but I expect to have just a rubbish nights sleep 😫 I also don’t think I have sleep apnea, just snoring so I’m not holding my breath, but he is!

Good luck with yours, you won’t regret it!
DLP Jan 2014 H Cheyenne & H New York
DLP Dec 2014 Sequoia Lodge
Florida Aug/Sept 2016 RPR/WDW BC/DCL Dream Bahamian 4 night cruise/ WDW BC
DLP Dec 2016 Newport Bay Club
Disney Magic Staycation Cruise Aug 2021

Aug 2023;BC 9 nights WV, AKL 8 nights SV, HRH 3 nights FRCL, CB 2BS, Weeki Watchee 2 nights, Holmes Beach house 8 nights
zokaluse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
No I went in to see my dentist and no way did they send them through the post, I went in every month, and so they gave me one new set to wear and one to replace in a fortnight.

They checked they fit etc at all times
That's what I thought mine would be, I'm so unsure about nobody seeing me until teeth straight! Will feel like I'm my own dentist! 😣