Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
due To WDW CC hold policy change of UPDATED LAST PAGE RESPONSE FROM WDW

Plans

This has been really niggling at me for the past 24 hours

In the past we have always simply put a credit card against the room account ( can you use a debit card.?). Gone to the front desk every three or four days and cleared the account using cash.

I don’t have a huge limit in my CC as I do have other funds and we don’t use the credit card unless it’s for protection purposes ie flights etc. We the. Pay it off immediately, so I owe nothing to anybody

Getting to the point , with this stupid $100 hold and the chaos this appears to be causing a cross the pond ( some people built up $300 holds and still waiting for the holds to be lifted , some people have had thier cards charged before the five day) I’m probably now going to have to take cash out to the parks and then for tips. OR use my $300 gift card.

I’m not sure why I’m getting my knickers in a twist over this but it’s taken away, for me , the convenience of room charging and paying off the bill every three or four days. Maybe if I had a huge limit on my card it wouldn’t be such an issue but with a smaller limit and potentially lots of holds.

Edited at 07:44 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

I haven't noticed holds , but didn't check. I briefly saw the thread you are referring to but unless you intend to spend on your credit card before or after your return I wouldn't worry. The other option would be to get a weswap type card and only put $100 on it then you know they can't charge more than $100 to the card and you just have that one card linked.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
zdickens
Imagineer

zdickens's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Plans

This has been really niggling at me for the past 24 hours

In the past we have always simply put a credit card against the room account ( can you use a debit card.?). Gone to the front desk every three or four days and cleared the account using cash.

I don’t have a huge limit in my CC as I do have other funds and we don’t use the credit card unless it’s for protection purposes ie flights etc. We the. Pay it off immediately, so I owe nothing to anybody

Getting to the point , with this stupid $100 hold and the chaos this appears to be causing a cross the pond ( some people built up $300 holds and still waiting for the holds to be lifted , some people have had thier cards charged before the five day) I’m probably now going to have to take cash out to the parks and then for tips. OR use my $300 gift card.

I’m not sure why I’m getting my knickers in a twist over this but it’s taken away, for me , the convenience of room charging and paying off the bill every three or four days. Maybe if I had a huge limit on my card it wouldn’t be such an issue but with a smaller limit and potentially lots of holds.
I’ve decided to just pay for our tips with cash as I don’t want to wait a week or so when I’m home for the money to be credited back to my account. Then if there are any problems spending ages on the phone sorting it out. It was so much better before they introduced the “hold” thing, just like you we would pay it off every couple of days.

Oct 2022 - California Tour, Nov 2019 - Disney’s AKL & RPR, May 2017 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2014 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2012 - Disney's POFQ & HRH, Sep 2011 - DLP Hotel Cheyenne, Nov 2010 - Disney's CBR & RPR, Oct 2008 - Disney's All Star Movies & HRH, Nov 2006 - Disney's All Star Sports, Oct 2000 - Holiday Inn Nikki Bird (Kissimmee), Sep 1996 - Quality Inn International
zdickens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry , do they automatically charge the credit card you have linked now, so then you can’t pay off in cash at the end of your stay?
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Could you use a different card for ‘hold’?

They have always done some sort of hold, as have Universal.

We just used our debit card as ‘hold’ but used TCs every few days to pay off the balance.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
zdickens
Imagineer

zdickens's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We just used our debit card as ‘hold’ but used TCs every few days to pay off the balance.
I’ve done this in the past but I assume that we’ll now incur charges if you have a normal visa debit?

Oct 2022 - California Tour, Nov 2019 - Disney’s AKL & RPR, May 2017 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2014 - Disney's OKW & HRH, Oct 2012 - Disney's POFQ & HRH, Sep 2011 - DLP Hotel Cheyenne, Nov 2010 - Disney's CBR & RPR, Oct 2008 - Disney's All Star Movies & HRH, Nov 2006 - Disney's All Star Sports, Oct 2000 - Holiday Inn Nikki Bird (Kissimmee), Sep 1996 - Quality Inn International
zdickens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Could you use a different card for ‘hold’?

They have always done some sort of hold, as have Universal.

When I went between 1990 and 2009 there was a limit you could charge to the account, I think it was $500. You could pay that off as you went along.

That’s a big difference to a $100 rolling every five day hold. The card is charged every five days and an additional $100 hold added. Also if you go over the $100 the CC is charged and additional hold added, although I’ve emailed Disney for clarification on this

It’s very easy to spend $100 a day at Disney. As I say, holds I’m not bothered about normal practice but not rolling holds

Interesting, you can use a debit card? I just want to clear the account every three or four days without incurring charges

Edited at 10:16 AM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Sorry , do they automatically charge the credit card you have linked now, so then you can’t pay off in cash at the end of your stay?
It’s charged every five days with a rolling $100 hold. Is my understanding
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
zdickens
Imagineer

zdickens's Reviews
That’s what I understand unless you pay off the balance before then.

Old 17 Apr 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
It’s charged every five days with a rolling $100 hold. Is my understanding
Whilst i agree its annoying, on a practical basis, I would check the policy with the check in person and work within the rules.

If it means cash and limited or no charging, then so be it

You will still have a great time either way

Disney332