Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Jul 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
benjosam
Very Serious Dibber

benjosam's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
New York help please

Dh and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary this year. We looking to go to New York this October, flying on 20th/21st for 4/5 nights. I’m overwhelmed with the choice available and have no idea where to start

Where would people recommend to stay. We would like something quite central, maybe near Central Park. Who did people book with. DH will only fly direct.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you
2016 - Cabana Bay
benjosam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Direct will be governed by where you are / how far too airport? For exmaple we cant go direct from Newcastle so go via Heathrow usually

We have used BA flight/hotel deals for the last 3 visits, always got best price with them

LAst year we stayed Omni Berkshire on 5th/52nd , literally 2 mins walk onto 5th Ave

anywhere @midtown - central park depending on budget will suffice, manhattan isnt as big as you envisage & everything is walkable with the exception of World Trade/Battery Park*

subway is dead easy to use & cheap

* although i have walked back from World Trade to midtown it is doable if you have the time/inclination
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

We stayed at The Parker hotel on 56th street last March/April which was only a short walk to Central Park. We did get a bargain with BA though booking during a flash sale in September. I would advise to not stay in Times Square, really crowded and hotel prices can be at a premium. We did the big apple greeter and I would thoroughly recommend it, a great service and free although they do expect a donation to the website of around $25 per person but so worth it. We went with BA so couldn’t fly direct from our local airport but we are used to that.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
benjosam
Very Serious Dibber

benjosam's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Sorry, should have mentioned, we can fly from any London airport. We are trying to keep budget at around £1600 for flights and accommodation.
2016 - Cabana Bay
benjosam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

I have always found BA flight and hotel booked together to be the best deal, search for flight only first and you can play around with the best flight prices on the different days then you can go on to adding a hotel. this then gives you a discount.
We stayed at the Park Lane which had a wonderful view of central park, it also had "free" wine and snacks every evening for 2 hours.
Also the dates you have chosen are half term so it maybe a bit more expensive.

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We went n November 8th last year for 3 nights, and paid just over £1000 for the 2 of us with virgin holidays in their sale. We stayed at the Westin Grand Central, the location was perfect for us, as it was walking distance to everywhere and was pretty quiet compared to a lot of NY! We used the subway loads, really easy to use and very well signposted, we walked loads but got the subway to 9/11 memorial as was a bit further out! We loved it & can’t wait to go back!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lovedisney View Post
I have always found BA flight and hotel booked together to be the best deal, search for flight only first and you can play around with the best flight prices on the different days then you can go on to adding a hotel. this then gives you a discount.
We stayed at the Park Lane which had a wonderful view of central park, it also had "free" wine and snacks every evening for 2 hours.
Also the dates you have chosen are half term so it maybe a bit more expensive.
We stayed at the Park Lane in July 2017 and loved the view. It’s a little more expensive for a park view but definitely worth it. It’s right on the edge of Central Park and very close to many subway stations. The hotel is very elegant and the rooms are quite large especially for New York. You pay a resort fee per night which includes wifi and a free buffet with alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks for two hours each evening. We used this most evenings.

We flew with Thomas Cook from Manchester which worked out very reasonable and the flights were fine.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Friend booked ours via Expedia flying with Virgin from LHR to JFK and three nights at Shelburne. It was a couple of hundred pounds cheaper than direct with VH or BA
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

I normally filter the location by Midtown East as that's my choice of location to stay. I don't like to be too close to Times Square as it's overcrowded, but I like to be within walking distance to everywhere I want to go.

I've just booked to stay in The Iroquois in November for the second time, it's been my favourite hotel so far. I stayed in Club Quarters Times Square (not actually near times square) last year and can also recommend it. It too had a 'wine and snack' happy hour for two hours in the evenings, and the location was great
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tb2tb2
Getting Excited

We are going to New York in November. I booked through ba from Heathrow but I also have other flights and a car for part of the trip as we are moving on to Florida . But I found if you add either a car or a hotel to the flights they were much cheaper than the flight alone for some reason. It might be worth a try. If they don’t have the hotel you want try adding a car - you don’t have to collect it but it could save you in the long run.
Tb2tb2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List