Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Jul 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

New York Shopping

Just booked a nice week in NYC next May - and has been at least 4 years since we were there.

Then - you did the trek to Woodbury Common for the outlet "town" there, but wondering if things have changed? Mall at Jersey Gardens I have read about as being good and bit easier to get to.

I admit I miss my Target / Walmart from Florida, but see there are a few Target stores now in Manhattan - anyone been to them, how do they compare to Orlando ones? Yes, no aisles of Disney merch / toys and clothes
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

I have been in target on 34th street, it is over a few levels, it was great for bringing back sweets and some food we like, smaller than Florida but prices where good.
They had a lovely deli part for sandwiches, drinks and cut up fruit we used for lunchtime which was good value.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the reply!

Should have said it was for the plainer / household things - so looking for washing liquid (love some of the US brands), snacks, pharmacy etc.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

We go to the Target by the Barclays Centre. Easy trip on the subway for cake mixes and car polish... oh and Welch’s fruit sweets.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

I have been also to both jersey garden and Woodbury, they are both good and have got bargains in both. Don't know which I prefer. Although Woodbury seems far away while on bus.
We got buses for both at the bus station near time square.

Yes you will get all you need in publix, the range is not massive. There is a jack store which is very like a dollar store on 32nd street, near target, which is very good for crisps, sweets and household goods.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

I much prefer Woodbury over Jersey Gardens. They always have an offer on groupon for the Woodbury tickets cheaper, around $27 return I think. If you're going specifically for shopping then that would be my choice I've been there every year for Black Friday, apart from one year when I went to Orlando instead.

I also always go to Target on my trip, and the best one is in Harlem. It's in a large complex that also has a Marshalls, and a Best Buy (I think), but it's probably the biggest one in the city. I did go to 2 others that where closer in November as I was searching for a specific coffee creamer, and still prefer Harlem I think it is the one most likely to compare to the ones you're used to in Florida (but no Disney merch!) I'm pretty sure you can get public transport to it but I always end up with so much shopping that we always get an Uber
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Ive not been to Woodbury, but Jersey Gardens was fine for us. 30 mins on the bus from Port Authority and $14 return. I don't know what you are after but you can look up the shops online - it kept us going for the day. Just be aware that the buses are regular but can get busy early evening. We had to wait for the next as the one we went for was full
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone who replied.

Ralph Lauren work shirts - I have had amazing bargains in the past at department stores like Macys in the city itself, but that was when the £/$ was a lot nicer - is a big thing for me. But like any visit to an outlet, you might go and find many things, but next time find zero.
Old 15 Jul 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Thanks everyone who replied.

Ralph Lauren work shirts - I have had amazing bargains in the past at department stores like Macys in the city itself, but that was when the £/$ was a lot nicer - is a big thing for me. But like any visit to an outlet, you might go and find many things, but next time find zero.
I think Macy's do a discount card for customer outside the US, so maybe something to look in to? Bloomingdales do something similar. I can't remember the details, but it could be something like the tax is removed?
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinkjojo
Excited about Disney

Mobile

There’s a target opposite Macy’s, obviously no where near Florida size but good for bits & pieces. We got quite a few bargains in Woodbury and bf got lots from Macy’s too.