Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jul 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We flew Travel City Direct many times. As soon as they introduced Sunshine First we used that, loved the snack trolly in the centre of the area.

On the way out they refuelled at Gander and on the way back at Bangor Maine. At Gander we always got off quickly and did a fast walk to the terminal as the queue for the ladies could take all the time you had and we loved the ice cream so had to make time for one.

The guy from the TV programme did the first morning meeting for several years and used the same spiel every time. We only went to buy the mineral based suntan cream they sold at the meeting as it was excellent.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I was on the old TCD forum, it was the very first chat room/forum I ever joined. I had some fantastic prices with TCD the lowest being £59 return each, I paid £89 return each several times, we used to watch teletext holidays every Saturday and Sunday morning whilst in bed with our morning cuppa, we used to stop at Maine to refuel, we were very sad when they went bust.

Edited at 11:21 AM.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Before we discovered Longhorn at Longboat Key back in 2003 we used to have our "posh" meals at the Magic Mining Company on 192. Closed a few years ago and is now a Cicis.

We thought we were even posher when we flew Sunshine First on TCD's branded 747.

Mick
Ye us too lol. We were staying at Lighthouse resort when they folded. Everyone was congregated outside their offices at Orange Lake shopping centre, however no one did turn up. Thomas cook flew us home. It was sad to see them go tbn. Always had good service.
Old 17 Jul 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
We thought we were the bees knees when we flew Sunshine First with TCD.
We were on the first row with our youngest 2 boys behind us, once the seatbelt sign went off they came and sat on the floor in front of us as there was so much room.
I can remember the cabin crew and all the other passengers being so nice and everyone chatting about their plans.
Loved that first row in sunshine first

Dawn
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
I was on it and often have wondered if others came over here (I know at least 2 that did but I think a lot changed their user names)

It was a good forum but did get very heated and abusive at times
So a bit like on here!

But seriously we flew with them many times, not on forum tho.
The big old white Jumbo was like a comfy old friend.
We got flights for £99 return.

Edited at 09:27 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
I was thinking today of the forum members in the old Travel City site.
I used to post (under a different nom de plum) and just wondering if there are any others on here who did. This was obviously pre Virgin takeover.
Yes I was on the TCD forum
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Our neighbour asked to use our TV because it had better teletext, you could go straight to a page instead of waiting for 300 odd to scroll around.
She asked me to pick up brochures from the travel agents in town. They all recognised her and wouldn't give her brochures because she always found where she wanted to go then booked on teletext as it was cheaper.
One day we were looking for holidays in Kos with her and saw an advert for Florida with TCD for £89.

Joined the TCD forum and picked up lots of tips. Seems a long time ago. Stay at the Gateway Inn on I-Drive they have line dancing. Buy No-Ad sun cream at K-Mart when you get there. Get your films developed and printed before you come home. Eat at Bill Wong's.

Despite ringing up TCD many times we never managed to pay £89. The local Going Places had a poster in their window for £179. Lunn Poly had the same poster but also did interest free credit for six months so we booked it there.

We both went into work the next day and told them we wanted two weeks off so we could go to
America. They asked us when and we told them next week.

That went down well.

We had nothing booked, just used a Lunn Poly brochure, a fold out map of Florida, a Rough Guide book, and a Lonely Planet book.

Without TCD offering cheap flights the others would never have been forced to match prices, and we would never have been able to go to Florida.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Princess
Getting Excited

Yep I was a member of the forum, used TCD a few times, was due to fly a week after they collapsed. Booked new flights about 8am on the morning excel went into administration for 2k at lunch time the flights were 6k.
Still friends with many of the forum members on Facebook
Fairy Princess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
steruth
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Fairy Princess View Post
Yep I was a member of the forum, used TCD a few times, was due to fly a week after they collapsed. Booked new flights about 8am on the morning excel went into administration for 2k at lunch time the flights were 6k.
Still friends with many of the forum members on Facebook
Was this your original user name on TCD. I have lost touch with everyone I used to speak to .
x
Old 18 Jul 19, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
carolynne67
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, I was on the old TCD forum, which was the first forum I ever joined and loved, it was a sad day when it all just vanished. We were also due to go to Florida with them two weeks after they went bust.

Carolynne

Edited at 11:02 AM.
carolynne67 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List