Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 19 Jul 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Split Croatia June 2019 ~ Day Three ~ Trogir and Split Riva

Index

We all woke around 8:45am and got ready to head out to the bus station. I was a little nervous about catching the bus today after the complications in Skradin but we thought it would be easier as we hadn’t pre-booked tickets so could catch one of the many buses that went to and from Trogir. The bus arrived in the station on time and after allowing on the passengers who’d pre-booked we were able to buy tickets onto the bus for around £7.50 for three single tickets. This is where Mum found out that she couldn’t pronounce Trogir properly as the bus driver who she bought tickets off kept repeating it after her in a completely different way because he was confused about where she wanted to go. I just stood there and laughed at her. I pronounced it as tr-OW-ger whereas we think that its supposed to be said as trogg-E-ar.

The bus took around 40 minutes to reach Trogir and only made a couple of small stops en-route. We got off the bus at the bus station here and spent a few minutes looking around at the beautiful river by the bus stop. I think we all immediately fell in love with Trogir as it is such a picturesque town.

We then headed in towards the main town. It only took a few minutes until we reach the main square and the Cathedral of St Lawrence. Also in this square was a clock tower that Rob immediately spotted and told us that it had been in Game of Thrones. After some googling we found out that he was correct (not that we doubted him ) I took some photos of the square, the bell tower and the cathedral while Mum and Dad were trying to see if it really was from GoT.

We decided to look around the cathedral next, as like we said previously: we love churches and cathedrals as they’re so architecturally stunning. It cost around £3 each to enter the cathedral and this included the treasury and the bell tower. Rules on photos in this cathedral were pretty vague as there were initially signs for no photography but everyone was taking photos and some signs said photos with no flash were allowed, so I wasn’t sure. The only place I could see that 100% didn’t allow photography was the treasury so I took photos everywhere but there.

This cathedral was magnificent and we were really glad that we’d visited it. A lot of people in Trogir were taking photos from outside the gate but not paying the entrance fee and we think they were really missing out as it was definitely worth the small fee. One of my favourite parts of this cathedral was the treasury as it was very interesting and some of the artefacts were centuries old but still in excellent condition. The part of the cathedral I found the most interesting was the altar of St Cross. Unlike most altars, this one was very dark and had engravings of skull and cross bones and looked quite gothic to me. It was unlike anything I’d seen in any other church we’ve visited.

We then climbed the first set of narrow, spiral stairs to the roof of the cathedral which had a fabulous view of the square and clock tower. From here you could walk up to the bell tower but we chose not to as it was a lot of steps and we were happy with the view from this part. I almost fell off the roof here, which would definitely have ended in some broken bones at least. I tripped over a raised bit of flooring and only just managed to grab hold of the wall and Dad which stopped my falling straight over the top and down into the street below (where I almost fell can be seen in the fourth photo)

We left the cathedral and the square and wandered down towards the waterfront and along the promenade. At the end of this promenade was the Fortress Kamerlengo which we took photos of from the outside. The promenade was beautiful and had a wide choice of restaurants along it but we found it very hot to walk along as there was no shade at all and it was around 34 degrees.

We then spent quite a while looking in the water here as it was really clear and you could see all the fish and crabs at the bottom. I love aquatic animals and can spend hours just staring into the sea watching them or looking around rock pools so I was very happy.

We were all hot now so decided to stop at one of the restaurants for a drink and possibly lunch. After sitting down we decided we didn’t really want any of the foods they were offering, as it was mainly fish based and quite expensive compared to prices we’d been paying in Split, probably because it was on the sea front. Instead we just had drinks. I had a fresh lemonade which I added my own sugar to taste and it was so thirst quenching and delicious. Rob had a beer and I had orange juice. It came to around £10 for all these drinks which was a little more expensive than we’d been paying before but all of our drinks had been really nice.

We then wandered back into the town to find somewhere different to have lunch as it was now around 12:30 and we hadn’t had breakfast. It took us a while to find somewhere and we walked back all the way past the main square towards the bus station. The restaurant we chose was called Bistro Slaven and we were so glad we chose to eat here as it was one of the best meals we had the whole trip. The waiter was very friendly and attentive and suggested special offers and meal deals without being too pushy. He also told us that it was 30% off all food on the menu but not on drinks which seemed strange as it wasn’t expensive food prices anyway. There was a huge choice and it took us a long time to choose what we wanted. If we had stayed in Trogir we would definitely have visited here again as there were other foods on the menu we would have liked to try.
Georgia and I both had the chicken in gorgonzola sauce which came with fries and roasted vegetables (which even I ate some of haha) and Rob had the pork chops, fries and roasted vegetables. These meals were all delicious and really filling. Rob and I had a beer each and we had a large bottle of water for Georgia. Overall the meal came to around £36 including the discount and tip. We would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Trogir as the food is delicious and the service was excellent.

After lunch, despite all being completely full, we walked straight across the road to the ice cream shop opposite. Bella Gelato Bar was one of the best places we had ice cream in Croatia as there was so much choice and the flavours were incredible. Rob and I had strawberry cheesecake ice cream flavour and I had chocolate orange flavour which tasted exactly like a Terry’s chocolate orange. We decided to go sit down by the river to eat our ice creams.

We spent some time here relaxing, taking photos and watching the fish before we went back to the bus station to catch the 3pm bus to Split.

Mum saw a bus for Split first so she got on this and bought tickets on the bus. However, after a while on the bus we decided to look at the route for this particular bus to Split as it had stopped at the airport which our earlier bus hadn’t. This was because this was the number 37 bus and ended up at a different bus station in Split, after stopping at EVERY little bus stop on the way. At least it’s final destination was Split, so we weren’t completely lost. This bus took over an hour to arrive in Split though, but I thought it took us a lovely scenic route I, on the other hand, was not enjoying the long journey as I was trying to figure out where the other bus station was and using my trusty google maps to find a route back to our apartment. It wasn’t too bad as it was only a 20 minute walk to our apartment and once we started walking we soon knew where we were, which was reassuring.
This walk also took us past our usual supermarket so we stopped to buy water and beer before heading to the apartment. When we got back to the room we all relaxed for a while, trying to cool down after our unexpected walk before all showering and getting ready to go back out that evening.
We decided to go for a walk around Split this evening. It was a very relaxed evening and we spent our time wandering, looking around a few shops and art galleries and talking. Split in the evening has a really nice atmosphere and it feels more like a city than it does in the daytime. Here’s a few photos from our wanderings.

We were starting to feel peckish now but didn’t want a large meal as we’d eaten so much in Trogir. We stopped at a little bakery and bought food here before taking it down onto the Riva and sitting on the wall here to eat them. Rob had a ham and cheese roll, I had a chicken wrap and I had a huge piece of ham and mushroom pizza. We all had a drink with this and it came to about £11.

We sat here for quite a while afterwards, taking in the atmosphere, people watching (and dog watching. Split is a great place to dog watch) and watching the sunset.

Again, despite not being hungry, we couldn’t resist ice cream on our walk back to the apartment. I had cookie ice cream, Rob had Ferrero Rocher and I had dark chocolate.

Back at our apartment, we relaxed on the balcony with drinks as per usual and watched some fireworks in the distance (while singing Star Wars music as it reminded us of the Star Wars fireworks in HS ) We headed to bed at around 11:30pm.

The next day we explored Split more, spent some time shopping and visited the GoT shop again!
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Beautiful photos again! I can almost feel the heat looking at them though. Trogir looks really lovely, and your meal does look very nice. I found all the food in Croatia really delicious to be honest. Those ice creams! YUM. Loving your daughters additional comments lol.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Beautiful photos again! I can almost feel the heat looking at them though. Trogir looks really lovely, and your meal does look very nice. I found all the food in Croatia really delicious to be honest. Those ice creams! YUM. Loving your daughters additional comments lol.
It was incredibly hot that day, we deserved two ice creams each 😂 We didn’t have a bad meal in Croatia either even the wraps and baguettes tasted good.

So pleased that Georgia’s comments add to the enjoyment 😂

There will be a few week’s break before we write day 4 as we are off to Vietnam on Sunday but we will continue when we return 😀
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

It all looks glorious! Loving all the ice creams (always a favourite on our holidays! )

Enjoy Vietnam!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
It all looks glorious! Loving all the ice creams (always a favourite on our holidays! )

Enjoy Vietnam!
Thanks Mel, we are all packed and ready to go to the airport tomorrow. We do like to eat an ice cream (or two 😂 ) most days on holiday and there were so many different, delicious flavours to pick from in Croatia. I’m not sure if there is a lot of ice cream in Vietnam but we will soon find out 😀
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Excellent thank you for taking the time to post that. You can see the heat just pouring off the pavements. Fantastic contrast for inside the cathedral where it looks cool and shady.

Excellent hints for ice-cream and restaurant options.

Have a fab trip to Vietnam.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Have a fantastic time in Vietnam x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm glad the buses today were better than the previous experience even if it was the scenic route. The cathedral did look beautiful, as did the town itself. A lovely lunch and well done on fitting in 2 ice creams! I don't think I've ever seen ferrero rocher ice cream but now I've heard of it I really want it!

I hope you have a fantastic time in Vietnam.

Safe travels.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Excellent thank you for taking the time to post that. You can see the heat just pouring off the pavements. Fantastic contrast for inside the cathedral where it looks cool and shady.

Excellent hints for ice-cream and restaurant options.

Have a fab trip to Vietnam.
It was very hot that day, the heat was shimmering along the promenade, I really appreciated the fresh lemonade break 😀 Visiting the cathedral did cool us down too as they are always cool and calming.

Hope you enjoy Trogir as much as we did, there were other churches and the Fortress on the seafront that looked worth visiting too and lots of little alleyways to explore. We said that we could have stayed in Trogir as it was so pretty although we were very happy with Split as a base too.

Thank you, we start our long journey this afternoon towards Heathrow although we don’t land in Vietnam until Monday morning
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm glad the buses today were better than the previous experience even if it was the scenic route. The cathedral did look beautiful, as did the town itself. A lovely lunch and well done on fitting in 2 ice creams! I don't think I've ever seen ferrero rocher ice cream but now I've heard of it I really want it!

I hope you have a fantastic time in Vietnam.

Safe travels.
I was pleased with the buses overall, it’s always good to go different routes and see new things 😂 They worked out a very cheap way to travel around which was good as we were on a budget trip (plus it left us with money for more ice cream 😀 )

I have never seen so many different flavours of ice cream as in Croatia. We spent ages deciding which one each time, Rob enjoyed the Ferraro Rocher one so you should definitely try it if you get the chance.

Still feeling a bit nervous over this Vietnam trip, it’s outside our comfort zone but we are looking forward to seeing our son again 😀