Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Jul 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile Train from Naples to Sorrento

Someone recommended getting a bus or taxi from Naples airport and then getting the train to Sorrento as it’s a lot cheaper than a taxi. Looking online and there appears to be a metro style train On the Circumvesuviana regional railway but appears there could
Be nicer trains on a national railway but now confusing myself as to which one is best and do they both go from the same Naples station? Quote for a taxi was around £125 and was told train would be about £20 for four of us but now having a slight panic about which way would be best as read that the trains are like the Euro star but not looking at the images of the regional railway!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
shazhoy
Trading Disney Pins

I don't know about the nicer trains but we go the Circumvesuviana. It cost us around 16 Euro for 4 of us, one way. It was no bother at all - it's a commuter train and so was pretty busy when we got on at Naples and it stops very frequently on the way to Sorrento. It's not fancy at all but seemed clean enough. The area around Naples train station is quite sketchy though - you need to go downstairs in the train station to get that train.

Coming home we got a bus from Sorrento train station to the airport which we thought was nicer - comfier and better views. I think it was the Curreri bus and it was around 10 euro each - you can pay on the bus. There were only a couple of stops and it ended up being standing room only - it was a little bus but really comfy. They only ran every hour or so when we were there and it took an hour to get there without bad traffic.

Edit - if getting the train, you can get a bus from the airport for 5 Euro each straight to the train station

Edited at 02:04 PM.
shazhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Was there air con on Circumvesuviana- reports I’ve read sound horrific in the summer. Bus does sound a nice option but given the frequency I know I won’t want to be hanging around when we land waiting for the next bus

Edited at 03:35 PM.
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

The Circumvesuviana is a bog standard commuter train- no luxuries. Last time we were on it there was torrential rain and we had to put our brollies up - inside the train!
If you get the train to Sorrento, my tip is get the train at the Circumvesuviana terminus (Porta Nolana on Corso Garibaldi) because you will at least get your pick of the seats. Lots of people try to get on at the first stop which is Centrale/Garibaldi (two stations side by side) which is really busy and a bit of a bun fight, not good if you have luggage but it does depend at what time you are travelling.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks, have been reading so many worrying stories about pick pockets, having to stand for the whole journey, have decided it’s not ideal in the summer holidays for the four of us. Going to swallow the extra cost and pay for a private transfer from the airport to the hotel
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
Old 20 Jul 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdobber
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

dibdobber's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
There is an express version of the train at certain times but we only used it from Sorrento to Pompeii. Was absolutely fine but wouldn't want to use it for arrival/departure. some good forums on trip advisor about travel etc in Sorrento area.
dibdobber is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We went to Sorrento a couple of years ago, travelled around by train quite a bit (to Pompeii, Vesuvius, Herulean) as said a basic service but it was fine, reliable and very reasonably priced. Trains did not feel overly hot and we often got a seat. And from the airport to Sorrento - we got a bus to the train station. Be warned though, I had my back pack opened and my phone stolen walking from the bus to the trainstation, a walk of less than a minute - put a bit of a dampner on my holiday, especially as every attraction had someone trying to sell me a selfi stick.
We also used the bus to get back to the airport, the route is very pretty, great views of the bay and the volcano.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Sam7, I was all set for us to take the train but have read so many reports today of people having things stolen. Definitely going to look into getting the bus back to the airport though
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dibdobber View Post
There is an express version of the train at certain times but we only used it from Sorrento to Pompeii. Was absolutely fine but wouldn't want to use it for arrival/departure. some good forums on trip advisor about travel etc in Sorrento area.
Thanks -have read a few posts and most seem to recommend the express train or coach but neither fit with our arrival time. Going to book the private transfer to the hotel and then look at getting the bus back as we have a late flight home. Really looking forward to it though as Sorrento looks amazing
Old 4 Aug 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
kevco
Excited about Disney

There is a more direct train called the Campania Express, it has a/c you can book in advance which gets you a seat
kevco is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List