Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 13 Nov 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Port Orleans Riverside or Art of Animation?

The first 9 or 10 days of our holiday will be on disney. The more I think of it, the less I am happy that we will be sharing a room for the duration. I'm thinking of moving to a family suite (lion king) at AoA.

If you had the choice, which would you choose?

I've not stayed at either, so it would be good to hear some reviews.
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachv38
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I know what you mean. We spent 3 weeks at POR in Aug. The hotel was lovely but not much space for a family of 4. We have a teenage daughter and it was hard work. We've booked for 2021 but we've booked endless summer resort near universal. We've booked a suite so she will have her own room. We will just book Disney and universal tickets and travel to the parks. Although we won't have the free dining again I don't think we will eat that much anyway. The QSDP was too much food anyway. Do what's best for your family.
Rachv38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
The first 9 or 10 days of our holiday will be on disney. The more I think of it, the less I am happy that we will be sharing a room for the duration. I'm thinking of moving to a family suite (lion king) at AoA.

If you had the choice, which would you choose?

I've not stayed at either, so it would be good to hear some reviews.
We are a couple so I would rather be in POR but if we were a family I would definitely go for the suite, they are pricey though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
We are a couple so I would rather be in POR but if we were a family I would definitely go for the suite, they are pricey though.
It’s more than £250 a night more when i factor in ddp. Looks like we will have to suck it up.
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

We were a family of 5 at POR last October. For the amount of time we spent in the room it honestly wasn't too bad having 5 of us in a room. We were generally out by 8/9am every day, back around 2/3 for pool time then back out at 5/6pm for parks and food returning around 10/11pm for bed.

At over £250 a night I really wouldn't pay it for the amount of time you spend in the room. Have you thought about renting DVC points and getting a 1 bedroomed DVC resort? That might work out cheaper than a suite at AoA.

We have a studio for 1 night in May and it was cheaper than 1 night at CBR.

OKW or AK might be your cheapest option. Take a look on here for a rough price:

dvcrentalstore/reservation-form/
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

How many people are you travelling with and if you have children how old are they?

We always share but my now teen sons are best friends, always have been, rarely argue or fight and we don't spend huge amounts of time in our rooms on holiday. We are mainly on Disney property for the atmosphere of the resort and the food.

AOA will give you two bathrooms in a suite. But the kicker is the price. I agree that maybe looking at a deluxe with DDP included might work out cheaper than AOA.

POR is lovely, I do like the fact that there is a curtain across the sink area giving both sides of the curtain privacy for changing especially as I have teen sons and I am the only female. We stayed there when DCs were 11 and 8 back in 2014 and have stayed there twice since. It is a beautiful resort.
August 2019 CBBR & RPR Club level Post GCSE treat
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

The Cars suites are in a better location and have their own pool. I'd try to get one there if I was looking at that sort of money extra.

We had 9 nights with 2 teens (girls!) at CBR and I loved us all being in the same room compared to all being separate as we usually are at home.

We were up early, had a siesta in the afternoon and were out late at night. We were too shattered to have any issues with who was taking all the room up /snoring /breathing etc.

Are you first timers onsite?

Edited at 08:45 AM.
sotagals is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
The Cars suites are in a better location and have their own pool. I'd try to get one there if I was looking at that sort of money extra.

We had 9 nights with 2 teens (girls!) at CBR and I loved us all being in the same room compared to all being separate as we usually are at home.

We were up early, had a siesta in the afternoon and were out late at night. We were too shattered to have any issues with who was taking all the room up /snoring /breathing etc.

Are you first timers onsite?
No. We stayed at animal kingdom for a week last time which was followed by three weeks in a villa.

Other times we’ve stayed a night or two onsite

If it was 10 days onsite then a villa then i wouldn’t be concerned. It’s just the fact the rest of the holiday will all be in one room concerns me.

My eldest is becoming a little difficult so a separate room would have been nice. But not £250 a night nice unfortunately

Hey ho
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

The beauty of Disneyworld is that it turns stroppy teens back into kids again.

Took mine about a week to revert.
sotagals is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

We have stayed at both, AoA wins for me.

The suites have 2 bathrooms, a kitchenette, much more space with a separate bedroom, a really fun atmosphere at the resort, better options at the food court (in my opinion!) and only 1 bus stop. The suites are a fab location and so close to everything, we stayed in the nemo section.

POR is nice, we were lucky and were building 16 which was close to everything. The bathroom is tiny and though we managed fine in the one room room there really isn't much storage. I was unimpressed with the food options and overall not somewhere we'd rush back to.

That said if price is a main consideration we would of course go back to POR as AoA does work out quite a bit more expensive.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List