Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Dec 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

First time I hadn't really thought about counter service meals so we just faffed around what was about with DS not really eating much.
Second time we had quick service dining plan so read food reports and noted which counter services to eat at and snacks. It helped me discover Wolfgang Puck Express at Disney Springs and ice cream cookie sandwiches.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

I wish I had know that you can ask for water in quick service food places so we didn’t have to lug heavy water bottles around in a rucksack all day.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Less Disney onsite restaurants, more offsite eating - assuming no DDP involved.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

First time we went I couldn’t wrap my head around how little pedestrian access there was anywhere and that you had to cross at the designated crossing points or get done for jay walking. I couldn’t wrap my head around their regulations on highway access for drivers either that confused me along with those pedestrian crossings over busy roads that seemed to give only 10 seconds to get across the road.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
plastic orange
Very Serious Dibber

On our visit in 1995, our friend who was experienced in all things Florida advised us to do a fly drive and just pick up accommodation when we arrived. Please don't do this as things were rather stressful with 2 kids, arriving in a strange place at night with no idea where to start lol.
Things are a lot easier now with forums like this, and I'm sure a holiday to Florida is easily researched. Remember, it won't be the once in a lifetime holiday you thought it would be, as you will be back, so plan accordingly.

Pete
Old 18 Dec 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Just remember to take time to relax and enjoy where you are, you don’t need to it all the first time as there will be others.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
If you are going to read to prepare I advise the Unofficial Guide to WDW. Game changer for any first timer at Disney. But read it before your flight!
They also do the online touringplans.

Highly recommend. Have read these books for 14+ years now and always helped me
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I always tell people to do some planning before you go but be prepared for things to change due to weather, people being tired etc.
I remember talking to a family on our flight over one visit who had never been before and we're just going to wing it. By chance we walked passed them on Main Street in MK one day with a map trying to decide what to do. We didn't get involved just walked passed and did 2 rides. On our way back that way they were still there. The kids were sat on the floor bored to tears and the adults were arguing about where to go. I couldn't help myself I had to go over and help. It's an expensive trip to waste so much time not having any idea of what you want to do. There's a lot to be said about taking time and enjoying it and not having too rigid a plan but no plan... !
We are DVC so have been many times since we joined in 2000 but we still have a rough plan before we leave home with favourite restaurants and fast passes booked.

The other thing for me is footwear. We had no idea how far we might walk in a day so made some bad choices. Now we have well worn in trainers to take-don't care what we look like as you need to be comfortable or you will be miserable.

I would also recommend the unofficial guide. It was our bible for years. 😀

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

You are going at Christmas time. It will be busy - imagine "busy" and double it...

BUT it will be magical, you will probably end up a bit overwhelmed, but if you have a bit of a plan, and a backup of what to do when anyone in the group feels a bit overwhelmed, you will have the time of your life!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Don't be scared of the queues, there are lots of them, but generally the queue theming is great, and its great opportunity to talk to other visitors, my first trip with my DS, whilst in the Dumbo Q a group explained to me how to optimise the OLD FP system, it was my 2nd WDW trip and I thought I had it sussed, I hadn't !
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List