Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 14 Nov 19, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I think the more I think about this the greater my defence grows...

The only way you get consistency is by doing the same things...

McDonalds is the greatest example of consistency. No matter where you are in the world eating at McDonalds is exactly the same. It’s down to them having the same menu, the food supply chains, same training methodology, same management methodologies, the control the franchise incredibly tightly. Everything from the food, taste, service and experience is very consistent.

Next is youR Frankie and Bennies / Perkins / Longhorns. I tend to find because again you have the same food supply chains and menus you do get a level of consistency but the food is now more complex and its hard to control the preparation. The service can vary because its more complex by nature. People are paying more and expecting more. The bar is raised compared to your McDonalds. But largely these big chains manage to control the offer and keep reasonable consistency.

Then you get Disney World with its hundreds of restaurants, all offering varied and complex menus, with varied and complex supply chains, each restaurant while being under the Disney umbrella is a mixture of privately owned places, Disney owned places and chains. The management of each restaurant is largely unique, the training is bespoke to each location.

Do you see the picture I am painting here... I think consistency is an unreasonable demand.

If I visited 14 different independent restaurants over two weeks outside of Disney I reckon on average find a similar level of variety in terms of food quality, service and experience.

I think you should be wary of doing down the lack of consistency too much. I think while consistency may be an “issue” the prize is variety. And a level no other “theme park” attempts to get close too.

Edited at 01:10 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My goodness. Sadly so true.

We at taking our Disney Barman friend out tonight. I hope to God the meal is good as the last 2 occasions have been poor and it's embarrassing for him and us.
Why on earth are you going to this place then ?
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 01:09 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
It's the variability that annoys us. We have been going for nearly 25years yet every visit one of our favourite restaurants is an awful experience with poor service and food quality. Nowhere has stayed consistently ok even fron one year to the next never mind over a number of years. Choosing ADRs is like playing Russian roulette these days as you don't know if you will be lucky or unlucky with what you get 🙄
I don’t quiet understand your point...

Are you saying its always been inconsistent over 25 years ?

I would suggest one awful experience per trip isn’t all the unsurprising... I have worse look on many other holidays not DW related ?
Old 14 Nov 19, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Why on earth are you going to this place then ?
Which place?

He did suggest Chick Fil A whatever that is but I think he was joking!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 01:13 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Which place?

He did suggest Chick Fil A whatever that is but I think he was joking!
Sorry I misread what you wrote. I thought you was going back to the same place for a third time lol.
Old 14 Nov 19, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I think the more I think about this the greater my defence grows...

The only way you get consistency is by doing the same things...

McDonalds is the greatest example of consistency. No matter where you are in the world eating at McDonalds is exactly the same. It’s down to them having the same menu, the food supply chains, same training methodology, same management methodologies, the control the franchise incredibly tightly. Everything from the food, taste, service and experience is very consistent.

Next is youR Frankie and Bennies / Perkins / Longhorns. I tend to find because again you have the same food supply chains and menus you do get a level of consistency but the food is now more complex and its hard to control the preparation. The service can vary because its more complex by nature. People are paying more and expecting more. The bar is raised compared to your McDonalds. But largely these big chains manage to control the offer and keep reasonable consistency.

Then you get Disney World with its hundreds of restaurants, all offering varied and complex menus, with varied and complex supply chains, each restaurant while being under the Disney umbrella is a mixture of privately owned places, Disney owned places and chains. The management of each restaurant is largely unique, the training is bespoke to each location.

Do you see the picture I am painting here... I think consistency is an unreasonable demand.

If I visited 14 different independent restaurants over two weeks outside of Disney I reckon on average find a similar level of variety in terms of food quality, service and experience.

I think you should be wary of doing down the lack of consistency too much. I think while consistency may be an “issue” the prize is variety. And a level no other “theme park” attempts to get close too.
consistency for one individual restaurant from one visit to the next is not an unreasonable demand! Especially at the prices they are charging. I find that quite a ridiculous statement.

Even on the dining plan the tips are overpriced for some of the restaurants. Frankly some people either have low standards or more money than sense
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
consistency for one individual restaurant from one visit to the next is not an unreasonable demand! Especially at the prices they are charging. I find that quite a ridiculous statement.

Even on the dining plan the tips are overpriced for some of the restaurants. Frankly some people either have low standards or more money than sense
Did you read the reasoning I put forward?

Where do you think my reasoning is wrong?

It's a bit naff to reply with a blanket statement like this considering I did two posts with detailed reasoning.

Your making a broad brush insulting statement. I actually have high standards when it comes to restaurants I am just being realistic.

Edited at 07:24 AM.
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Well we are sharing a dessert we brought home with us last night from Bonefish Grill. Our total meal cost there on the Tuesday special was $42 for 3 courses each inc tax.
Excellent service so we tipped all but 20% which was still cheap for a meal of that quality

So let's look at fish at Disney. Now what fish would that be?
Of course you used to be able to get Mahi Mahi, Snapper, Grouper, Halibut and Catfish in a lot of non Signature places.
What do you get now? Oh yes farmed salmon that's cheap as chips and distinctly poor quality.
Cost cutting in the extreme.

Apart from the Wave which is excellent the rest of the places are poor. The Wave is a distinctly different experience and it comes to something when my Wife says that apart from there her best meal was a $11 plant based burger in the Pop Century food court!
Have you tried Flying Fish? It's excellent.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
It's the variability that annoys us. We have been going for nearly 25years yet every visit one of our favourite restaurants is an awful experience with poor service and food quality. Nowhere has stayed consistently ok even fron one year to the next never mind over a number of years. Choosing ADRs is like playing Russian roulette these days as you don't know if you will be lucky or unlucky with what you get 🙄
As they say on the Disney Food Blog: the only thing consistent with Disney restaurants is that they're inconsistent.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Have you tried Flying Fish? It's excellent.
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
As they say on the Disney Food Blog: the only thing consistent with Disney restaurants is that they're inconsistent.
Flying Fish is not consistently excellent. In February me and Dr JJ went there on consecutive nights, we both did food reports and the experiences were night and day. For me it was the worst fine dining experience ever, not just at Disney, but literally ever.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List