Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 21, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Doctors not taking on temporary patients!

So my son is back for 3 months from Uni and thought I would get him temporary registered at our doctors which is 200 yards up the road

No they won’t take him unless it is permanent, so has to de register at Uni at Portsmouth and then go to local doctors fill in the form and take passport etc to get back on the books

I asked what happens if he needs a doctor and is still registered at Portsmouth and she said he would have to ring Portsmouth and get a prescription from there!

Am I getting mad for no reason? It all seems no unnecessary x
Edie ray is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I believe this has always been the case - certainly was when I went to uni. I kept my registration at my parents address for that reason and I know my nephew currently doing his masters in Bristol is still registered at home in Yorkshire. Prescriptions can be sent anywhere in the country so isnt really an issue and urgent medical needs attended to over the phone (hopefully not required)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Ilovedisney
VIP Dibber

Yes this has been the same for both my daughters at our local gp when at uni. Constant changing back and forth. Madness...
Ilovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I have never heard of temporary GP registration. It is over thirty years since I was at university and people usually kept their registration at their home / parents address.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
floridaaddict
Getting Excited

My DS is home from Uni for the summer, yesterday he ran out of heyfever meds.
He called the Uni practice he’s registered at, had a same day phone consult and they sent his prescription electronically to our local chemist.
I was quite impressed!
floridaaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your replies, my doctors used to do temporary registration but not anymore with the pandemic x
Edie ray is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

My granddaughter is still registered at home too. Could work against her for vaccine.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridaaddict View Post
My DS is home from Uni for the summer, yesterday he ran out of heyfever meds.
He called the Uni practice he’s registered at, had a same day phone consult and they sent his prescription electronically to our local chemist.
I was quite impressed!
This is good but what actually happens if he needs to see a doctor face to face if necessary? X
Old 8 Jun 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
My granddaughter is still registered at home too. Could work against her for vaccine.
I think she will be fine as instead of getting an appointment at her GP she will be able to log into the website and book at a vaccination centre.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
floridaaddict
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Edie ray View Post
This is good but what actually happens if he needs to see a doctor face to face if necessary? X
That’s a good point! I wonder if they would refer him to a local one?