Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Oct 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Where to go in May…

… for up to £800pp?

I had a great adventure to Canada planned for next summer, had discussed plans and cost with husband, had booked free canx hotels booked plus flight and car with BA … and on Saturday husband tells me he is completely opposed to the trip He says it’s too much, he’d rather save the money, can’t we do a staycation and so forth.

I know it’s a first world problem but I’m so disappointed. That said, I’m not the type to disregard his views, so I’ve requested a voucher from BA for the deposit and in the process of cancelling everything else.

I’ve told him to give his head a wobble over the staycation idea - ridiculous on an island as small as this (and we live in the best bit anyway, IMO). So we’re going to have a holiday, but with cost much reduced.

I’m thinking somewhere around £800pp for flights and hotel. Ideally no car hire as it’s very expensive just now. We aren’t sun worshippers so I cannot bring myself to sit on a beach, we like to be busy. Using the voucher isn’t a necessity, so doesn’t have to be somewhere BA go.

I know the budget isn’t great, but where would you go with it?
Old 4 Oct 21, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Cyprus is nice and warm in May and you can get a 5 star inclusive for £800pp outside of school holidays
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

As your not sit on the beach types, a 4-5 day city break in europe should be easily doable on your budget

bacelona, paris, prague, krakow, munich ?

we are hoping to do budapest and a small tour in italy using the trains from florence/pisa next year at some point
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

As you don’t usually go for beach holidays, then Europe should be warm for sightseeing in May. Maybe a multi stop holiday in Italy? Rome, then a train to Sorrento and visit Pompeii or Herculaneum, or Rome then a train to Florence (our son has done both of these and loved it) or Venice and a few days at the Lakes?

Another option could be Greece, with a few days in Athens and then some island hopping?

Germany is also interesting with options for staying in a few different regions or even combining with Austria or Switzerland by train?
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
We're going to Greece next May for OH's 60th, a week in Athens followed by a week sailing a yacht round the Saronic Gulf.

We're taking our adult children and partners for the sailing week and DD works in a school, so is tied to half term week. We couldn't get flights for anything like a sensible price to any of the islands and they're very limited. However we found that flights to Athens were far better, there are five or six BA flights a day and their flexible policy will still be in place then, which is a huge plus.

By OH and I flying out a week earlier (outside school holidays), we've got flights and a week's B&B for only £150 more than just the flights on their own a week later.

We're staying at the Oasis Hotel Apartments in Glyfada, so we're close to a decent public beach and the tram route into the centre of Athens. If we were only there for a couple of days we'd stay closer to the centre, but for a week we felt this would make it more relaxing, and there's a lovely pool. We can go into the city from there but can also explore the coast using the local trams and buses.

Then our children and their partners fly out for the second week and we'll go off sailing round the islands

Our return flights and hotel together work out at about £600 per person. That's flying back at the end of half term (4th June), it'd be cheaper if you can avoid that week.
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian

Edited at 12:07 AM.
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Kate
Don’t know if you’ve ever considered it but May can be one of the best months to Visit Scotland
Might suit you both us Scottish dibbers can bombard you with loads to do even bringing the dogs if you want
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

As with Disneydaffodil.

Rome and a train to Sorrento for me!
We did exactly this a few years back (in reverse, staying in Sorrento and with a 3 day break to Rome within) and it was absolutely fabulous throughout. Even the very contrasting train journeys (Rome- Naples on the Frecciarossa and then Naples- Sorrento on the Circumvesuvia ) were fascinating in themselves.

Climate, Food, wine and atmosphere to die for throughout.
Rome, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano and maybe a self drive boat hire around Capri before seeing the Amalfi Coast from the Sea.
I have friends who did 4 days in Rome and then with a day return to just visit Pompeii in the middle, which worked just fine also, a budget option, if you like!
I also did Rome one year and just drove down for a single nighter in Pompeii and then back up, but in future would use the train instead as it is both quicker and cheaper, staying longer in the Pompeii/ Herculaneum/Vesuvius area.

Positano

Edited at 07:51 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Seville is beautiful, would be warm, and so much to see and do, we visited the cathedral, the alhambra palace, the food market by the river, shops, tapas, etc etc!
My trip summary -
https://dibb.in/14075596

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 07:46 AM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Kate
Don’t know if you’ve ever considered it but May can be one of the best months to Visit Scotland
Might suit you both us Scottish dibbers can bombard you with loads to do even bringing the dogs if you want
I actually have been thinking about either Scotland or Ireland (with being in the middle, both are accessible!)

Where would you suggest we go, and when? I had been looking at May/June but could actually go anytime.

I've got it in my head I want to do some water parks, but maybe I need to forget about that.

Edited at 10:32 AM.
skalexander is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

That early in the season and wanting sun Id look at Crete or Cyprus . Things to see and do as well as beach .
Otherwise I’d just book a flight and explore mainland Spain , just book flight and car and head inland booking as we went.
If you wanted water parks and even theme park mixed in there’s always Salou . If you didn’t want to drive the train runs all the way up that coast and to Barcelona for day trips out .

Edited at 12:26 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List