Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 11 Oct 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ElsasGloves
Very Serious Dibber

In all honesty, we have never been able to get a repeat fast pass for our favourite rides on the same day.
We would book our 3 fast passes and everything else would usually be standby if we wanted to ride something else. I found that the only things available would be dumbo, or barnstormer, or tea cups. I never got a second fast pass for the mountains or mansion, PP or 7 dwarves.
So the experience for me personally, will be no difference except I hope to be able to ride more headliners at MK in the same day than I could previously
ElsasGloves is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ElsasGloves View Post
In all honesty, we have never been able to get a repeat fast pass for our favourite rides on the same day.
We would book our 3 fast passes and everything else would usually be standby if we wanted to ride something else. I found that the only things available would be dumbo, or barnstormer, or tea cups. I never got a second fast pass for the mountains or mansion, PP or 7 dwarves.
So the experience for me personally, will be no difference except I hope to be able to ride more headliners at MK in the same day than I could previously
Don't forget that buying Genie+ doesn't guarantee you can get on the headliners, or more headliners. There will be limited slots available, and once they're gone, they're gone. You can't even see availability before you buy it. You could pay and then discover that passes for rides you really want to do are hours away, and possibly after you planned to leave for the day - a bit like the old paper fastpasses. It will be interesting to see how this side of things pans out.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Don't forget that buying Genie+ doesn't guarantee you can get on the headliners, or more headliners. There will be limited slots available, and once they're gone, they're gone. You can't even see availability before you buy it. You could pay and then discover that passes for rides you really want to do are hours away, and possibly after you planned to leave for the day - a bit like the old paper fastpasses. It will be interesting to see how this side of things pans out.
Then you either pre purchase Genie plus or purchase at 7 to make a headliner your first choice. Then you get on it.

Someone asked if or why you would pre purchase. For me I know at 7 I can book my first ride and not wait till 0830 / 0900 or even later in the morning to decide we need it as it’s busy.
Old 11 Oct 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think this could be one of the biggest complaints. I’m surprised at Disney actually because with the park reservation system there’s a big disclaimer before you purchase tickets to make sure there’s availability. They may end up having to manage Genie+ better so that you can check availability before you buy it.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Then you either pre purchase Genie plus or purchase at 7 to make a headliner your first choice. Then you get on it.

Someone asked if or why you would pre purchase. For me I know at 7 I can book my first ride and not wait till 0830 / 0900 or even later in the morning to decide we need it as it’s busy.
Great fun on holiday - being up at 7am on your phone to book a ride! Yes, it means you'll get 1 for your $15, but no guarantee of any more headliners, potentially making that single headliner more than some of the ILLS rides. I'm sure there will be plenty of availability for 'lesser' rides, but most of them never really needed fastpasses anyway, so probably won't need LL access either. Each to their own, but 7am daily starts is not mine, or many others, idea of a holiday. If you're happy to do that though, then that's great. We're going in September, so hoping for quieter crowds🤞

loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Great fun on holiday - being up at 7am on your phone to book a ride! Yes, it means you'll get 1 for your $15, but no guarantee of any more headliners, potentially making that single headliner more than some of the ILLS rides. I'm sure there will be plenty of availability for 'lesser' rides, but most of them never really needed fastpasses anyway, so probably won't need LL access either. Each to their own, but 7am daily starts is not mine, or many others, idea of a holiday. If you're happy to do that though, then that's great. We're going in September, so hoping for quieter crowds🤞
Fingers crossed there are quiet crowds for you so no need for the LL.

I expect many people complained about having to pre book FP 30/60 days out and wanting a bit of spontaneity back to the daily park going. This is taking it to the legacy FP which does not benefit those who like chilled mornings or go to the park later in the day.

Not going to please everyone.

Either you make the most of what is available which is best for your family, or simply don’t go and boycott Disney as other threads have suggested.

We get in the parks for opening and EMH so works for us .

I expect to have 2 rides done before off site guests come in, including 1 headliner, with my next top ride booked from 0900. Once scanned in that then onto the next one.

Simples…
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyfloss
Imagineer

Apologies if this has been answered already.
I have spoken of my aversion to getting up at 7am to manage my Genie+, but say I did, am I seeing a choice of available times, can I reserve my chosen rides for the afternoon and return to my slumbers ?
Even though some say the system brings back some spontaneity over FP+ does it?
With the park reservation system still in place, surely, until at least 2pm, you’re limited to the park you reserved possibly several months earlier?
Tillyfloss is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Fingers crossed there are quiet crowds for you so no need for the LL.

I expect many people complained about having to pre book FP 30/60 days out and wanting a bit of spontaneity back to the daily park going. This is taking it to the legacy FP which does not benefit those who like chilled mornings or go to the park later in the day.

Not going to please everyone.

Either you make the most of what is available which is best for your family, or simply don’t go and boycott Disney as other threads have suggested.

We get in the parks for opening and EMH so works for us .

I expect to have 2 rides done before off site guests come in, including 1 headliner, with my next top ride booked from 0900. Once scanned in that then onto the next one.

Simples…
I can't see how Genie+ brings back spontaneity when you now have to make park reservations in advance and potentially be up at 7am to book a ride?

This system definitely works better for those that like early starts, but not everyone holidays like that, so it's not that 'simples' for everyone. We like to do a mix of early starts with afternoons by the pool or a day by the pool and an evening at the park. Personally, I don't want to be up at 7am to book a ride for my evening visit, especially when there's then a higher chance of not being able to book anything decent after that one. I know others who like to mix their days up a bit feel the same. One of the good things about FP+ was that it didn't matter what time of day you wanted to go, you know you had 3 decent rides booked.

As much as you seem to be happy with the new system and how it will work for you, it definitely doesn't work for everyone. If anything Genie+ takes away a lot of flexibility for a lot of people as not all of us early morning park goers.

From reading posts on here and on the 'other' board, the people happy with it definitely see to be in the minority.

Edited at 09:15 PM.
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tillyfloss View Post
I have spoken of my aversion to getting up at 7am to manage my Genie+, but say I did, am I seeing a choice of available times, can I reserve my chosen rides for the afternoon and return to my slumbers ?
With the park reservation system still in place, surely, until at least 2pm, you’re limited to the park you reserved possibly several months earlier?
Genie+ is first slot available only, so getting up at 7am to choose them would probably be morning slots. Only ILLS can be booked in a chosen time slot.

You can change your park reservation up to and including day of (assuming availability - which is generally fine outside of peak weeks) so you're not really locked in.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tillyfloss View Post
I'm not 100% sure tbh. The way it's always been reported is that you get to see 'the next available slot'. If that's the case and you want an afternoon or evening slot as that's when you're planning to go, it could mean sitting refreshing your phone waiting for earlier slots to get booked up so you can then book an afternoon or evening one. I'm hoping that's not the case and it will show all time slots, in the same way that booking FP+ did. If that's been clarified since the original announcements, then I've missed it, but would love to hear if anyone knows.

You also don't get to see what's available before you buy. So if you don't pre-purchase or buy at 7am because you want to see how busy the park is and if it's actually needed, you could go to a park, decide to buy and then still not be able to book anything decent if slots are already booked up. It's almost like they want people to buy in advance due to fear of missing out.

You can only prebook your ride for the park you have reserved. If you hop later in the day, you can use it in that park, based on what's available.