Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Our pups were a bit unsettled for a few days. We went down the chicken and rice route and it settled them well.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Having had around 6 pups I’m definitely no expert, but I’ve never given them any form of milk when they’ve had upset tummies (or even when they haven’t had upset tummies), I’ve also not given them a mixture of different foods with upset tummies.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

My first dog came to us with instructions to give puppy milk twice a day. She had kibble twice a day (soak in warm water for 12 hours before), puppy milk twice a day, scrambled egg once a day and tripe (yuck) once a day. That was almost 30 years ago though. BTW once she is fully settled with you you may want to look at her food, Beta puppy does not rate well (I use 'allaboutdogfood.co.uk, who indepently test and rate dog food) - mine was on beta puppy when I got her and I was told it was not good nutritionally and also probably making her hyper.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
My first dog came to us with instructions to give puppy milk twice a day. She had kibble twice a day (soak in warm water for 12 hours before), puppy milk twice a day, scrambled egg once a day and tripe (yuck) once a day. That was almost 30 years ago though. BTW once she is fully settled with you you may want to look at her food, Beta puppy does not rate well (I use 'allaboutdogfood.co.uk, who indepently test and rate dog food) - mine was on beta puppy when I got her and I was told it was not good nutritionally and also probably making her hyper.
Sorry to jump in, but just got our puppy home, and he is on Beta puppy dry food kibble, what is a good alternative please?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Our pup came home from breeder on Beta Puppy (though breeder had him on "small breed" when he should have been on "large breed" which has more nutrients for growth). Anyway we went to get some at Pets at Home and the assistant in our local branch said that Beta puppy is "food" in the same way that McDonalds is "food", but there are much better quality pupy foods out there.
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Our pup came home from breeder on Beta Puppy (though breeder had him on "small breed" when he should have been on "large breed" which has more nutrients for growth). Anyway we went to get some at Pets at Home and the assistant in our local branch said that Beta puppy is "food" in the same way that McDonalds is "food", but there are much better quality pupy foods out there.
Thanks are you able to recommend any other brands?
Shirley I am so glad your pup is feeling better, it is very overwhelming isn’t it!

Our trip reports -

Edited at 08:15 PM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We had a dog who was on Eukanuba all his life - puppy, adult, large breed light. It was great, reasonable cost, but he never had any gastric problems.

The current dog does, so he has been on Eukanuba, Royal Canin Puppy Maxi and how on a Purina hypoallergenic kibble which is suiting him (but I've just looked it upon the helpful website that other poster suggested and it only has a 22% nutritional value, so I think we'll be dicussing with vet who recommended it)
Old 18 Oct 21, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Louise, you are not kidding. I was really questioning myself over the weekend if I had done the right thing, but the puppy stage doesn’t last for ever. Going to research food, she doing ok atm on beta, but I’ll get more info xxx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Orijen dry kibble or Lilys kitchen dry kibble rate quite highly on that website
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I spent yesterday in shock thinking what have we done?
But then he started to settle in, did his first poo in the garden not my kitchen (yay!) and now we are smitten. I looked long and hard at the foods, costs, nutrition etc and plumped for Westcott puppy complete. I will mix a little in with his Beta food for now then slowly wean him over. Thanks all and Shirley lets keep updated about our new fur babies!
Mine was enormous compared to how I imagined him, when she placed my new ‘puppy’ in my arms I could barely hold him! 10kgs at 17 weeks… he was farm raised so no harness, no toilet training etc but is learning fast. And very snuggly.

Our trip reports -