Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wooden worktops

Hi all. We had decided on quartz for our new kitchen however our builder can’t fit it himself, but he has recommended someone who can. This has made me rethink whether I want wooden worktops or not. I think they are lovely, but I know they need a bit of upkeep, which seems ok. But, and apologies if this is a daft question, are they easy to burn? I have a bad habit of plopping hot pans on the worktop
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

We have wooden worktops. I don’t think they would burn if you put a hot pan down, but it is something I would definitely avoid. I think it would result in a ring at worse though, which you could make good by sanding out and re oiling.

I don’t think they need a lot of upkeep by the way. Ours get an annual oiling and I have only sanded them down once and that was after we returned from living overseas for a few years and the tenants had not been as diligent as we would be. I may sand them again before the end of the year, which will be the second time in 14 years.

I am not recommending or not recommending wooden tops I should add, depends on what suits the kitchen.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have fitted them. They can look stunning if they are well selected and any ones with blemishes etc are discarded. Sad to say the days of getting solid decent hardwood ones without spending thousands are long gone.

Regarding upkeep no idea sorry.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
We have wooden worktops. I don’t think they would burn if you put a hot pan down, but it is something I would definitely avoid. I think it would result in a ring at worse though, which you could make good by sanding out and re oiling.

I don’t think they need a lot of upkeep by the way. Ours get an annual oiling and I have only sanded them down once and that was after we returned from living overseas for a few years and the tenants had not been as diligent as we would be. I may sand them again before the end of the year, which will be the second time in 14 years.

I am not recommending or not recommending wooden tops I should add, depends on what suits the kitchen.
Thanks, sounds like the upkeep is not too bad, then. If we were to go for them, would try to make sure to use trivets.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I have fitted them. They can look stunning if they are well selected and any ones with blemishes etc are discarded. Sad to say the days of getting solid decent hardwood ones without spending thousands are long gone.

Regarding upkeep no idea sorry.
Thanks very much, Tom. We were planning on ordering from Howdens- no idea how good they are, to be honest. Probably need to a bit more research on it.
Old 17 Oct 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

They would burn if a hot pan placed on them.
I’ve had wood and they do need upkeep (with Oil) and have to be careful with water round sink for example.
Quartz currently having had laminate for many years.
Easiest to look after are laminate as you don’t have to worry so much about what to clean them with.👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
They would burn if a hot pan placed on them.
I’ve had wood and they do need upkeep (with Oil) and have to be careful with water round sink for example.
Quartz currently having had laminate for many years.
Easiest to look after are laminate as you don’t have to worry so much about what to clean them with.👍
Thank you. We have laminate just now, not had it too long, but unfortunately it’s starting to buckle near the sink. We might have been unlucky, but it has put me off. Do you need to use a gentle cleaner with quartz?
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
Thanks very much, Tom. We were planning on ordering from Howdens- no idea how good they are, to be honest. Probably need to a bit more research on it.
We are in middle of a kitchen refit…..kitchen goes in next week, ours is a howdens kitchen, we have ordered an acacia wood worktop I think, might be oak , it’s butchers block style, I’ll let you know what it’s like later this week hopefully…..I’ve already bought trivets though
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Howden = nightmare.
Just sayin’

As Tom says, decent wood is expensive but worth doing right. It will scorch, stain with wet, and will chip/scuff so care will be needed to keep it tip top.
Granite or quartz is a better option.

Edited at 10:09 PM.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
Thank you. We have laminate just now, not had it too long, but unfortunately it’s starting to buckle near the sink. We might have been unlucky, but it has put me off. Do you need to use a gentle cleaner with quartz?
Yes, I tend to use anti bac fairy (to make a foam in the sink) rather than direct sprays. It looks great though.
As for laminate, it’s all in the fitting (like anything I suppose)
Previous house we have a textured laminate and it looked great. I’d happily have that again.
A good carpenter gets the joints of the worktop really tight as it’s water getting into these which make them bubble up and crack. With wood this would be a lot worse I’m afraid.😕

My wood worktop was from Ikea (a while ago now) and it was great quality . Price of wood though, it’s bound to have gone up.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List